Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this one out. The whole bracket on the passenger side ripped out of the K-frame. Now what? How do these handle without a sway bar? It doesnt look like there is anything vital right there so theres no rush to remove it. The only fix I see is a new K-frame which looks like a sucky job.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
First of all, the reason why this happens is because the A/C water drain is in that area. I had to change to Polyurethane bushing. But a friend of mine re-routed the water drain and end of problem. Yes, in the picture this is the other side. But this was the cause, and the cure. And yes, its the TRD front Anti-Sway bar. I bought it from the founder of this forum many years ago.

Should you drive it like this? NO. It might, (or it might be already vibrating) damage that area and then you'll have to take it to a body and fender shop. Wield and do some other fix nickel and dimming you to death. Fix it right, and you will not have problems.

Another thing, it will also effect another large bushing creating a very bad vibration, very bad. As toy can see in the illustration. Hop this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
That subframe is in terrible condition. It's quite easy to drop the subframe out with the lower arms still attached. The worst part might be removing the subframe retaining bolts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry not following up but the forum did not tnotify me of your posts. I will check the CP for the email.

How hard is it to change the K-frame? There is some rust on the front right frame mount. I'm concerned the bolts wont line up on a replacement sub frame. It had an accident with the prior owner. Just not sure how much I want to keep spending on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You could measure the distance between the bolt holes on your car and one at a junk yard to see if there's any difference due to damage. Unless it was hit low the subframe is probably fine or it would be scrubbing tyres.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts