Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a long tread below from mionee67 about cleaning and keeping the salt off of the RAV4. This should give me the Freak of the Year award. Just for the RAVs out there.......

I basically have no life because I worry about the swirl marks so much..

The more "touchless" the better !!!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yes same paint job freak here... one time i paid for a car wash and only to realize they use a automatic spin washer... that was the only time i wash my car other than my local touchless wash... it put swirl mark on my rav... besides that I never handwash my car..l. only touchless wash... people say i'll get dirt to despsit... but better then shiney white car with shiny bright swirl marks...

·
Registered
682 Posts
No offence but some of the comments are flawed in the first post of this thread. Nothing wrong with hand drying and waxing your car if you know how to do it properly. Most people who don't know what they're doing are the ones that stuff up their paint. I look after the paint on all our cars (RAV4, Echo and LandCruiser) using the expereince i gained while i was doing professional car detailing for the last 3 years.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disagree

Although I still disagree with you, NO OFFENCE TAKEN whatsoever. I was expecting to hear this from a lot of people.
Hey.... whatever keeps each one of us happy !!! Right?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Slayer said:
One word....Zaino.

Definitely.

Also claybar the paint at least twice a year.

When hand drying use 100% cotton plush towels. The towels I use to dry the cars are nicer than the ones hanging in our bathroom, heh. Some of the real nut jobs insist on using cotton diapers.

My 5 year old Celica looks nicer than new ones at the dealer with Zaino's synthetic wax. No swirls, no fading, just shines.

Waxing and hand drying are only really damaging if you didn't get it clean in the first place and are just rubbing the remaining dirt around creating swirls.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I use a leaf blower, mainly because no amount of drying with a cloth will get rid of that water under the door handles and weatherstripping that comes out and messes up your wax when you apply it!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I agree on much of the Rubbing / Scratching issues.

As for a show car finish that lasts you have to have the right paint job.
Primer/ Paint/ Clear coat/ Clear coat / Cl...........
I do spray small prototypes. We do have a great combination of brands to produce an excellent durable finish. However our paints & clear coat selections do not need to face the elements, cold, heat, sunlight but they do need to be tuff and for the most times high gloss.
I think someone with high-end custom automotive paint experience would have good knowledge of this. As for paint quality ill see in another 10 years how good my Rav’s paint job is.

I have never used any wax yet but if Zaino is very lquidy and does not need heavy rubbing I will defiantly try it when my car is spotless clean..

Now for a sad note. My father is getting old. One day he decided to go out and wash my baby.
After about halfway through I stopped him. If you could have only seen the dirt in the bucket/ even small pebbles in the sponge :shock: :shock: :shock:
It’s been almost 2 years now and I guess I should forgive him. :roll:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
mionee67 said:
I have never used any wax yet but if Zaino is very lquidy and does not need heavy rubbing I will defiantly try it when my car is spotless clean..
Zaino is the easiest wax to buff off that I've encountered. It's certainly no turtle wax or some other low end product that has you scrubbing away. The protection offered by a quality wax job far outweighs the risks of damaging the paint, which you're really only going to do if you're applying it incorrectly and didn't do enough prep work anyway. You're car should be buttery smooth after a fresh clay bar before applying wax.

Zaino's a non-abrasive polymer that bonds to the paint, so you're just buffing that layer of protection, not the paint.

After about halfway through I stopped him. If you could have only seen the dirt in the bucket/ even small pebbles in the sponge
Hence the importance of a two bucket wash system. One to rinse the sponge, the other to suds it up.

·
Registered
682 Posts
On all our Toyotas i use Meguiars products with an orbital buffer...comes up looking like new everytime time. Oh yeah, i dry our cars the traditional way (with soft terry toweling nappies and microfibre cloths) and no scratches appear as the surface is clean and i know what i'm doing :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used to use Meguiars, too, but like I've said before, other stuff just doesn't seem to last. I mean, I could put four coats of meguiars on my Rav and probably in less than a month to a month and a half, it just won't bead water like the day I waxed it. Compare that to four coats of Zaino which does last 4-5 months in terms of beading water. That's a life saver to your shoulders and elbows. Plus, after a wash, the Rav just seems alot more shiny than it used to with Meguiars after a few weeks from the initial waxing. It's also easy to wipe off and you don't get the white residue in the nooks and crannies like you would with other liquid or solid waxes. It's just better over all. And that's why I sport the Zaino sticker on my Rav's rear window. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hey Nouse, Where’s the best place to buy Zaino? On their website or store?

Also, After doing a thorough clean can I use the Z-2 pro, or do I have to
use one of their other products first like they want?

Thanks,

Walt

·
Registered
396 Posts
Before using Zaino, you have to thoroughly clean your rav of excess wax and other impurities. This means using some kinda of liquid dishwashing detergent like Dawn and then claying your vehicle. Doesn't have to be their products. After that, it's up to you what you need to put on. If your paint is in pretty good shape still, probably just a few coats of Z2 with ZFX accelerator and finish with Z6. If you've got swirl marks you want to get rid of, then alternate between layers of Z2 and Z5 and z6. You can only really buy Zaino off their website. Don't think they've gone mass market as of yet.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
mionee67 said:
Hey Nouse, Where’s the best place to buy Zaino? On their website or store?

Also, After doing a thorough clean can I use the Z-2 pro, or do I have to
use one of their other products first like they want?

Thanks,

Walt
Before ZFX came out you had to put a base coat of Z1 on. Now you can just mix ZFX with the Z2 or Z5 and get straight to it.

Can only get it on their website or through a local distributor(which are few and far between).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a question for the experts here, I bought the Zaino package on the recommendations of those here about a month ago for my 2005 RAV Sport. Of course the weather has been too cold to do anything to it, and from the looks of things at least a few more weeks until. What do you suggest as the procedure on the new paint, I picked the RAV up in early January.

I will carefully clean the car, it is kept under cover most of the time and has not been off the road, nor likely to be.

Thanks for your suggestions

Ken

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Just follow the directions they give you.

Strip any old wax with a Dawn wash. Claybar to get all that winter junk off the paint. Wash it again to clear off the claybar lubricant. Paint should be smoother than a baby's butt at that point.

Then apply it in light straight strokes. No "wax on, wax off" circles. A little product goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What does claybar mean :oops:? I'm not familiar with that word. My car has a lot of swirl marks and the weather has just been perfect to work on the car, but I've never waxed it, so I wouldn't know what I'm doing and perhaps would mess it up more :(. I've been thinking on taking it to a detailing place, but I'm on a budget, hehe (*cheap!:p). What do you guys recommend me to do? Is that Zaino easy to use? Does it have to be applied after something else? Thanks.
Miriam

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, the weather has been perfect the last week. Heard it's going to be in the 80's today. I'm due for another Zaino treatment myself but just don't have the time with my 11 hour work days recently. A clay bar is basically just what it says itself to be. It's just a piece of clay that you use to swipe over your vehicles finish in conjunction with some kinda lubricant like soapy water. What it does is pick up any residue that might still be on your paint that washing might not have taken off. After a claybar treatment, your paint will feel as smooth as a baby's butt. :D That's when you put on coats of Zaino to protect it further and remove any swirl marks. Zaino is a bit costly when you first buy it. I think a canister of Z2, Z5, ZFX and Z6 ran me about $75 the first time, but it saves you alot of elbow grease cause it really does a fine job in lasting protection since you really only need to put it on once every six months or so. And waxing you car is a really easy procedure wise. Nothing complicated about it. It's just a bit time consuming. Figure in at least three hours or more on your first time using Zaino only because of the prep time it takes with washing, claying, and washing again before you can being putting on the Zaino products.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I just talked to the Canadian Distributor of Zaino. He did recommend the "Z-6 "Gloss Enhance" spray".
For those who have used it, what is your opinion,
with and without it?

Thanks,

Walt

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I have the spray but rarely use it honestly.

The paint generally looks great after a wash with their car wash right up until it's time to wax it again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts