Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing search for what I am trying to do her but not having much luck.
I have a blank spot on my 14 rav4 limited right hand side under steering column, I am trying to find a momentary switch that fits in stock hole to hook up my garage door opener. I know I could just get a switch and drill a hole in the plug for it but trying to find a factory looking switch.
From the research I have seen I think it is a 32.5 x 22mm hole. Is this correct?
I plan on wiring / soldering the switch to my 12vdc remote for garage door.
I can't believe this is not a factory installed thing such a cheep option to leave out.

If this is not a good option I might be looking at just changing the rear view mirror to a homelink mirror. In my chevy truck the wiring and plug is all there just had to replace mirror and plug in new mirror.

So any help on either way to do this would be great. or even a link to this kind of info.
Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
I put 3 of these and one of a usb outlet in my 2016 XLE. Not sure if it is the same size but one would assume. They fit perfectly. Careful those as once you push these bad boys in they are tricky to remove. So get all your wiring done and tested before you push in place.

Catch is this switch is NOT momentary. I would think it would still work with a quick push then re push to release but am not sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1RA8QG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have opened up similar switches and removed the little locking pin, turning them into momentary.
I love you. Never had the balls to do so as at 11 bucks a switch it wasn't worth the risk. But now I know it is possible!

Looks like I know what I'm doing with the last blank spot in my car haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you guys share how to wire those? 2017 does not have interior fuse box even though owner manual show it does. I want to put additional 2x 2.1A USB slot on left side of of steering wheel and hardwire camera.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can you guys share how to wire those? 2017 does not have interior fuse box even though owner manual show it does. I want to put additional 2x 2.1A USB slot on left side of of steering wheel and hardwire camera.
Look under the drivers side dash. It will have a cover over it. All the way to the left side of the car. Tough to spot but it is there. I did have to leave the cover off the fuse panel when I put my add a fuse in for my dash cam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took the panel out (no fuse box door) this is only fuse hub i see. I want to use "add-a-circuit" fuse tap.. I probably end up running wire from the box under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I took the panel out (no fuse box door) this is only fuse hub i see. I want to use "add-a-circuit" fuse tap.. I probably end up running wire from the box under the hood.
You are close. You don't have to take any panels off to see it. Keep going further under. The fuse panel is exposed but you will need to take the cover off. Id say it is like 2in by 6in or so. Check by where the OBD2 port is. No need to run it from engine bay. Get on your back and get under there you will see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Found the interior fuse box. Have another question. I see video people tapping on slots that have fuse in them. I see several empty slots on their video, why don't they use them instead? Are they not working or safety issue??? I test the current couple on my vehicle found some that are constant and some ignition powered. Is it safe to use these empty fuse slots??

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
Is it safe to use these empty fuse slots??
Yes unless you try to draw more power than the wiring can handle. But for the USB charger a 5A fuse should do so you'd certainly be okay.

Reactions: downgrade

·
Registered
9 Posts
our local part store dont carry 5amp.. the variety pack has 10amp to be the lowest. Is that too much? the 2 usb charge i think draws 2.1A each. So max 4.2Amp.. I would get the 7.5amp i see in the videos but i went to 3 different part stores they only have variety packs.

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
I'm sure 10A will be okay.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
our local part store dont carry 5amp.. the variety pack has 10amp to be the lowest. Is that too much? the 2 usb charge i think draws 2.1A each. So max 4.2Amp.. I would get the 7.5amp i see in the videos but i went to 3 different part stores they only have variety packs.
Look under the hood. In one of the fuse boxes, you should find at least 3 spare fuses and a white plastic fuse puller. The 5A fuses are orange, the 7.5A are grey, and the 10A are red. You might even have fuses that you can use as spares made for options that were never installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks guys i finally got everything installed. Had to purchase the fuse & tap kit from amazon. Pretty easy, once i got all my supplies. With the Dash cam i did not go with the direct connect because of placement and not enough wiring to reach to fuse box.... So i ran wires down the passenger side column then tuck at the bottom behind rug and ran it up to bottom plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts