Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am a new owner of a 2010 Rav 4 V6 Limited with factory NAV system. I am wondering if there is a way to reconfigure the temperature that is displayed in the cluster from Fahrenheit to Celsius? I've read through the entire owners manual and I could not find this anywhere.

On my BMW I can configure each unit of measurement individually. In other words, I can have the distance in miles, but the temperature in Celsius.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am a new owner of a 2010 Rav 4 V6 Limited with factory NAV system. I am wondering if there is a way to reconfigure the temperature that is displayed in the cluster from Fahrenheit to Celsius? I've read through the entire owners manual and I could not find this anywhere.
This question has been asked before, at least a couple of times:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/84116-changing-gauge-cluster-temp-controls-imperial-metric.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/67215-change-outside-temp-c-f.html

I don't think a clear, simple solution was ever reached, especially given some discoveries in the first post listed above.

The search tool is your friend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try the techstream route. Thank you.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
No, you CANNOT change this in Techstream. You can only change imperial/metric on the software itself. I remember somebody removing their instrument cluster and while it was disconnected the A/C display was in Celsius. But the only way to get the outside temperature display to show Celsius would be to swap in an instrument cluster from a Canadian market RAV4. Of course, this would also mean the odometer would show kilometers instead of miles, which would be a problem when it came time to sell.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your response.

Wow! That does seem very ass backwards in my opinion. It's just software... Like... why is it that the right side mirror does not go down when I go in reverse to show me where the curb is? Simple simple things that take 20 lines of firmware code.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you for your response.

Wow! That does seem very ass backwards in my opinion. It's just software... Like... why is it that the right side mirror does not go down when I go in reverse to show me where the curb is? Simple simple things that take 20 lines of firmware code.
I would be annoyed as sh*t if the right mirror pointed down automatically in reverse...hard to watch your right side backing up when all you see is the ground...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mirror is wide angle. So all it needs is to tilt by 30 degrees down for you to see your rear wheel and the curb. You still see everything else on the side.

It's magical for parallel parking in the city.

My point being is... functions like that do not take a long time to implement from software/firmware perspective. It a simple no-brainer. For the temperature thing: the perfect use case is someone buying a car in USA and importing it in Canada or vice versa.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm sure it helps a lot...however it also contributes to drivers being less skilled. They have cars now that actually parallel park on their own. With so many "innovations" it's no wonder people are such crappy drivers...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'm sure it helps a lot...however it also contributes to drivers being less skilled. They have cars now that actually parallel park on their own. With so many "innovations" it's no wonder people are such crappy drivers...
lol...just wait a few years, when there won't be any drivers at all! (or so they want us to believe)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
lol...just wait a few years, when there won't be any drivers at all! (or so they want us to believe)
I'm sure all the taxi drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers and limo drivers can't wait...

...to be out of a job.

Not to mention insurance agents, probably (at least some).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Self driving vehicles are not likely to be practical anytime soon...computers can't make the kind of decisions a human can. Not too long ago a self driving car swerved to avoid debris in the road and hit a bus. In a perfect world they would be fine, but automakers can't even build a car that doesn't have failures with a driver...wait til a bank of sensors goes out or salt in a connector causes data corruption. The results are not pretty at all.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
I don't know about y'all, but when self-driving 18-wheelers appear on the road, I'm hanging up my keys!

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
I don't know about y'all, but when self-driving 18-wheelers appear on the road, I'm hanging up my keys!
Yeah, and here we have 22-wheelers to be concerned about! :surprise

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
I seriously doubt many states will OK self-driving big rigs.

And I won't be driving in Nevada any time soon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts