Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to switch from standard to synthetic?
-Drain bucket
-5 quarts?
-New Filter

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
You didn't complete your profile so we don't know for certain which engine you are referring to, although one could suspect that given the oil weight in your thread title it's a V6. But you will find the quantity answer in your Owner's Manual.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
You will need exactly the same thing that you needed for the 5w30 oil changes, except the bottle will say "Synthetic" on it. Mobil-1 is good stuff, generally around $22-$24 at Walmart or Amazon prime for a 5qt jug.

Stay with whatever weight is listed on your oil filler cap... likely 5w30, but possibly 5w20 for a 4.3
If you have moderate to high mileage, I would stick with 5w30. There is only a slight economy benefit to 5w20, at the expense of less protection in high temperatures.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Mine is imprinted on the oil filler cap. :)
Interesting - the oil filler cap on my '11 V6 has the oil weight, but not the quantity. Seems that the quantity would be variable, depending for example on whether the oil filter has been changed.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Interesting - the oil filler cap on my '11 V6 has the oil weight, but not the quantity. Seems that the quantity would be variable, depending for example on whether the oil filter has been changed.
5-w30 on my cap, 6.5qts written under my hood. That includes the filter because I always change it. Also the miles at each oil change which averages 5,000 miles, same interval I've used on every car I've ever owned. I use 5W-20 since my Hondas do too.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You will need exactly the same thing that you needed for the 5w30 oil changes, except the bottle will say "Synthetic" on it. Mobil-1 is good stuff, generally around $22-$24 at Walmart or Amazon prime for a 5qt jug.

Stay with whatever weight is listed on your oil filler cap... likely 5w30, but possibly 5w20 for a 4.3
If you have moderate to high mileage, I would stick with 5w30. There is only a slight economy benefit to 5w20, at the expense of less protection in high temperatures.

Mobil 1 has a 12 rebate on 5 quart jug until OCT 31, 2017. I got my oil at Walmart and received rebate in 7 weeks. (limit 2)

https://apfco.com/secure/R8235W/

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Seriously? This very trollish. Dump the old, change the filter, pour in the new.
Agreed, especially since the OP so far has provided illegitimate specifics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts