Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giving up my RAV4 soon. Just ordered a new 2017 Honda CR-V Touring. Looks like there will be a great used 2016 RAV4 Hybrid LTD for sale. I will sell my winter mats separately. Have to find out if the dealer is taking my winter tires, so they may be for sale too.
Enjoyed being on this board. I wish everyone safe driving!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! If you don't mind me asking why are you selling and going with the CRV? In my case I went from a CRV to a RAV4 so I've driven both cars.
I find that both are excellent vehicles with no complaints on either of them. I went with the RAV4 because of the better fuel economy and to be a little bit "green". Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! If you don't mind me asking why are you selling and going with the CRV? In my case I went from a CRV to a RAV4 so I've driven both cars.
I find that both are excellent vehicles with no complaints on either of them. I went with the RAV4 because of the better fuel economy and to be a little bit "green". Thanks
I found the RAV4 to be 'boring' to drive. Just no engagement, cornering feel - just bland. I've always enjoyed good handling and driving. It was great with my last car - a Lexus CT200h. That car was small and under powered, but fantastic gas mileage. I went up to the RAV4 Hybrid to keep green and get great mileage with an AWD vehicle. Then along came the new CR-V. It's turbo engine also gets great mileage (not quite as good as the RAV4) and it handles SO much better. It has a panoramic sunroof in Canada on the Touring edition and a hands-free power tailgate. I also didn't like the colour I bought - pearl white. I've ordered the CR-V in grey. It also doesn't hurt that my son works at the plant that builds them (which I live fairly close to). That means Dad gets the car at the associate price.
So yah, I liked the RAV4, bought the lack of driving enthusiasm was killing me!

Reactions: fatdan

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Yeah, nobody buys a hybrid for an exiting driving experience. You are lucky to have a son that works at the plant! Good luck with your CR-V!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am thinkg to give up my 2016 Rav4, just because of the Entune. Really hate Entune.
CRV should have new Google Auto and Apple Carplay.
Toyota refuses to have it. No plans.
This reminds me Sony with MemoryStick. Great cameras, but sorry, we hate MemoryStick.
Replacing to aftermarket radio is no option. Plus I have JBL. No option for sure.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
JuneBug is so right on the money! People buy hybrids for fuel economy and being green! That's why I bought mine plus it's made by Toyota, the leader in hybrid technology. Good luck with the new CR-V. Maybe a future post about the CR-V after you've broken it in?

·
Registered
324 Posts
No interest in waiting for the CR-V Hybrid? The gas version of the CR-V is a great car, Honda did a fantastic job and it was my second choice. The only reasons I didn't consider it were no roof rails and the front end wasn't appealing to me. Enjoy your CR-V and best of luck to you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel the same way and am just looking at options to replace it with an Android MirrorLink unit. I am researching constantly as the Entune system is an affront to technology.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No interest in waiting for the CR-V Hybrid? The gas version of the CR-V is a great car, Honda did a fantastic job and it was my second choice. The only reasons I didn't consider it were no roof rails and the front end wasn't appealing to me. Enjoy your CR-V and best of luck to you!
Thanks. It could be a couple of years at least before we see it in Canada. Maybe I'll be ready to change cars again by then! And the Touring model comes with roof rails, panoramic sunroof and dual exhaust tips.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I found the RAV4 to be 'boring' to drive. Just no engagement, cornering feel - just bland. I've always enjoyed good handling and driving....
I consider the CVT tranny boring and sluggish feeling myself. You should have driven the RAV4 SE, it handles corners like it is on rails.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I looked at the new 2017 CR-V and really like what they have done. But, the reviews from several car magazines have reported the city mpg is a lot lower than the sticker. On the other hand, the MPG for highway they have gotten above sticker. If you value the driving experience you should look at the Mazda CX-5 or a BMW X-1 perhaps. The Honda CR-V, while better than a Toyota RAV4, probably will not fulfill the enjoy good handling and driving.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hmm, surprised to hear someone say they went to a crv for an an engaging driving experience. I don't find the rav bad at all, and certainly no worse than the crv in driving excitement. I did have a cx-5 which I traded in on a rav4 because it was a lemon. It handled better than the rav but not dramatically. And I'm not sure what the real world numbers are on the crv turbo but if you look at any other turbo crossover the mileage is far worse than promoted.
But having said all that, either way you were unhappy with your rav and I hope you enjoy your crv. If only one car satisfied everyone it'd be pretty boring on the roads.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm, surprised to hear someone say they went to a crv for an an engaging driving experience. I don't find the rav bad at all, and certainly no worse than the crv in driving excitement. I did have a cx-5 which I traded in on a rav4 because it was a lemon. It handled better than the rav but not dramatically. And I'm not sure what the real world numbers are on the crv turbo but if you look at any other turbo crossover the mileage is far worse than promoted.
But having said all that, either way you were unhappy with your rav and I hope you enjoy your crv. If only one car satisfied everyone it'd be pretty boring on the roads.
Thanks for your words. I was deciding between a Civic Sport hatchback and the CR-V. Of course the Civic handled wonderfully, but my wife preferred I stick with the larger SUV and AWD. I liked the ride/handing of the CR-V so I went that route. As been said before, one car can't please everyone.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Thanks for your words. I was deciding between a Civic Sport hatchback and the CR-V. Of course the Civic handled wonderfully, but my wife preferred I stick with the larger SUV and AWD. I liked the ride/handing of the CR-V so I went that route. As been said before, one car can't please everyone.

Enjoy your CR-V! My wife drove a loaner with the CVT and said that transmission is just fine - she drives fairly aggressively and drove the loaner over our twisty mountain roads and also some straighter highway, and also said that the CR-V handled very well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Different strokes. You're paying the bills, get what you want.

Hope you love your CR-V.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a nice comparison on youtube between the two vehicles:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tough choice

I bought a RAV4 a month ago (2017 Hybrid Limited) after looking closely at a 2017 CRV. I liked both cars a lot and wrestled with the decision a while. I went with Toyota because of past experience with them (two Camrys, a used Corolla and two Priuses, all totally reliable and excellent mechanically). I was also hesitant on the CRV because the turbo engine is new this year. Probably little to worry about there, though, as Honda is a top-flight engine company, too. One probably could not go wrong with either vehicle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts