Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that syn oil can hold much longer. some people change every 12000 miles. Is that true?

·
Registered
214 Posts
wengv said:
I was told that syn oil can hold much longer. some people change every 12000 miles. Is that true?
Almost a trick question, as "some people" never change their oil until something happens :)

As I understand it, my RAV4 came with synthetic oil and when I asked the tech, he said "change it at 5000 miles, which is better than normal oil's 3000 miles".

That being said, my dad runs synthetic in his Dodge 2500 Diesel. He has always changed his own oil religiously at 3000 miles. He and I recently talked about it and he's now begun changing at every 7,500 miles because -- in his words -- "the oil that came out of the crankcase looked as clean at 3,000 miles, or even 5,000 miles as the day I put it in, so I'm going to try 7,500 miles"

Make of that what you will. 12,000 might be a bit of a stretch though. My dad and I disagree on a great many things, but car maintenance and the need to use fresh oil regularly is not one of them.

As an oil change is now probably the cheapest maintenance you can do to your car, I consider regular oil changes to be cheap insurance.

Wayne

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wengv said:
I've always run synthetic 10-12K (20 years of driving) in all of my vehicles and also a motorcycle. It may not break down like regular oil, but it still gets really dirty and this impacts mileage a little and also strains the filter. All of my vehicles that have had this treatment (one is my 1994 DelSol that I purchased brand new and has 230K on it) still look shiny and clean if you pop the oil filler cap and look inside at the valves (i.e., no varnish).

·
Registered
422 Posts
I run Mobil 1, and I change it every 5K miles religiously. I know it could last longer, but I do it anyway. I figure it's cheap insurance. :)

Becky

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on my mini that uses synthetic oil... oil change shows 9000 mile... so I guess it's true in some cases.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well. Im not sure what the newer BMW uses. CASTROL SYN I think...But they include this 4 year or 50,000 miles FREE maintance and my friend drives a 05 BMW 330ci. & dealer tells him to do oil change every 15,000 MILES... OMG !!!!
So 12,000 Might a possiblity....but Hey my Rav I change it every 4,000 K I drive the Rav pretty crazy soo I need Mobil 1 !!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another perspective....

Imagine you are looking at a USED car, ANY car.

Ask the owner about their oil change intervals.

Would you buy the one with the 3-5-7.5K intervals, or the car with the 10K-15K intervals?

All depends on how long you want to keep your Toyota. Clean oil and filters never hurt any engine.

Visit this site...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

And especially read this post before you go oil filter shopping...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002853

That Yota filter is the one we're 'sposed to use.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Castrol Syntec can be left up to 20,000 Kms (12500mi). This was told to me at a seminar by Castrol I once attended.

I would not do that and I change my regular Cartrol oil every 6000 kms(3750mi) as per our owners manual. After all its still under warranty and I don't want any trouble.

IF YOU LEAVE YOUR SYNTHETIC OIL FOR LONGER I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU STILL REPLACE YOUR FILTER EVERY 3000mi OR 5-6000 Kms.

This is what I tell clients coming into the shop because many of them want to leave it in there engine for longer. The problem is that when your filter plugs up it by-passes the filter material and becomes "UNFILTERED" oil thats circulating throughout your engine. Synthetic or not dirty oil is just that and for 5 bucks a filter every 3-5000 is not a lot to spend to keep you RAV in tip-top shape is it?

Syntec "Suspends" the dirty particles better than conventional oil --- so they say but filtering it is the life saver of any engine.

All oils will last forever really they just need to be cleaned up to be reused again. Used oil becomes new oil again by re-refining it and removing contaminents. Thats the life cycle of motor oil afterall. Keeping it clean for as long as we can will let us use it longer in our engines.

Tips:
Engine Power Flush machines or systems like it will clean out the deposits in your engine and help your expensive syntec last alot longer. Flush your engine every 40,000 mi or 60,000 kms for best results. (Improves fuel economy too)

Change your filters often with synthetic or change oil and filter often which ever you have.

Avoid short trips. This contaminates your oil with gas (over time)because your engine does not get hot enough to burn everything properly. (Auto Magazine)

Anyway. That's it. M. :?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used synthetic since my first change. I'm not sure how long
it is "supposed" to last.

However.... Since my owner's manual stated the oil to be changed every 5000 miles, I decided it was prudent to observe that figure if I wanted to maintain the warranty on my vehicle.

Like also stated by someone else, it looks a little more conscientious
to a potential buyer if your records at least looked like you cared
for the vehicle while you owned it.

jerij

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Change the filter more often

You can get 7500 - 12000 miles out of Mobil 1 Extended, but I would change the filter every 3750 miles to keep it clean, and use a good quality filter, like Mobil 1 or K&N.

You can change the oil filter on the RAV4 without draining the oil, and not one drop will come out. Remove the filter once it has cooled down. I've done this and its very easy to do - possibly the easiest oil change on any car I have owned.

I am changing my oil every 4 months or 3750 miles, using Mobil 1 5W30 Extended and a K&N HP-1003 oil filter ($9 from http://www.ajusa.com/)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts