Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recommend using synthetic oil in a 4cyl. RAV4 after the break-in period? Is it worth the extra cost?

·
Registered
986 Posts
It depends on many factors.

I've used Mobil 1 in my Rav since it had about 10K miles, and now I'm about to hit 90K miles. I used to change it every 5K miles, but now since Mobil came out with Mobil 1 EP and Purolator started making PureOne filters to fit the Rav4, I bumped the interval to 8-10K miles.

I use Mobil 1 for two primary reasons - the first is that it offers longer oil change intervals - and the second is that it offers better protection for extreme operating conditions, especially during the winter. It flows more easily at very cold temperatures, which is nice when I go to start up my Rav4 in the dead of winter.

I drive more than most people, so if I were using conventional oil I would need to change it every six weeks or so. With Mobil I can reduce the frequency to an oil change every 2-3 months.

Another factor is that I do the oil changes myself, and therefore the only cost is the parts (<$30) and not labor. Most places will charge $60 or more to do an oil change using synthetic oil, and some of the more shady places will charge you for synthetic and still use the cheap dino oil.

However if you look at it in the long run, using synthetic will not be too much more expensive than using dino oil. If you pay twice as much for an oil change using synthetic but can go twice as long between changes, the cost per mile is the same.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference in the end.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Mobil one as well, and I absolutely recommend it for anyone. Smoother cold starrs, due to the better flow, and I know of several friends with high high high mielage engines running perfect thanks to regular synthetic oil changes. If you don't plan on keeping the vehicle a long time, you may not see any benefit to the extra cost. The next owner will be getting most the benefit. Most important is to change the oil whether synthetic or not.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There's a gentleman on Neon Enthusiasts list, who achieved a degree of notoriety by changing his oil every 100,000 miles (one hundred thousand). He claimed that synthetics practically need no change as long as engine does not damage them, by burning, poor compression, water leak, or aeration. So the key is to inspect the oil and fix your engine if it misbehaves. It sounded quite reasonable, indeed. Since synthetics do not break down like normal oils, they basically can work forever. When I stopped following the list, he was at 250,000 miles. I bought my RAV4 when my Neon started knocking around cylinder #1, and trust me, I changed oil every 3,000 miles (using Quaker and Castrol 10W-30). The poor thing reached 177,000 miles. A respectable age, but not quite 250 thousand. Maybe the guy had a point.

·
Registered
986 Posts
That guy was probably full of BS.

Besides lubricating your engine, the other major purpose of oil is to remove contaminants (carbon deposits, unburned fuel, etc.) from your engine as it runs. Oil filters don't remove contaminants, just particles. So if you kept the same engine oil for a long time, it would become so contaminated that it will turn to sludge. If the oil is a high-quality synthetic, it may not break down as easily, but will pick up contamination just as fast as a conventional oil.

Lubricating your engine is like washing your dishes. You can use the best dish soap in the world, but the dishwater will still get dirty. The soap will keep removing dirt and grime, but you will be working with filthy water just like you would if you use the cheap soap.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Change the factory oil at 1000 miles and replace with dino oil and replace the filter.

Change it again at 3000, 5000, and 7000. Replacing the filter each time. Run until 10k and replace with full synthetic and a new filter.

Change again at ~13k with full syntetic and a filter and then every 5-6k after that.

At least that is what I plan on doing, right or wrong.

I have always been told by mechanics that until the rings are fully seated (about 1k miles for a motorcycle and about 10k for a vehicle) that you should use dino oil since synthetic is too slick and will not allow the rings to fully seat if used immediately...that is unless it comes FROM the factory with synthetic...then the assumption should be made that the tolerances for their engineering do not require much if any ring seating.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with the previous couple of posts, synthetic oil may not break down, but if you do not get it out of the engine regularly all you have is good oil full of crud

·
Registered
191 Posts
Original post, September 22, 2005

1,000 miles (recommended, no charge from the dealer)
(3,000 mile scheduled intervals)

4,000 miles (Toyota motor oil, no charge)
7,000 miles (Toyota motor oil, no charge)
10,000 miles (Toyota motor oil, no charge)
13,000 miles (Full Synthetic, Toyota dealer recommended, no charge)

(5,000 scheduled mile intervals)
Next oil change and first tune up @ 15,000 miles.
Jynx, right on :!:

Ravon 8)
(Ray von)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here are some common myths and facts that many people have about using synthetic oils. I personally like the advantage that synthetic oil has and use it also. Castrol Syntec is my poison. Have to be good to the shareholders afterall. This is off the Castrol website:

MYTH: Once I use synthetic motor oil in my car, I cannot switch back to conventional motor oil.
FACT: Synthetic motor oils are compatible with conventional and part synthetic (blend) motor oils. However, synthetics deliver superior engine protection versus conventional oils.

MYTH: Using synthetic motor oil will void my vehicle’s warranty.
FACT: Using synthetic motor oil will not void your vehicle’s warranty. Synthetics are formulated to not only meet minimum required industry standards, but also, in many cases, meet tougher industry and vehicle manufacturer standards.

MYTH: Synthetic oil is only for new cars.
FACT: Quality synthetic motor oil can be used in old as well as new cars, including vehicles in which conventional oil was previously used. Synthetic motor oils are beneficial for the good health, long life and top performance of new and old cars.

MYTH: You need to allow a break-in period for new vehicles before using synthetic motor oil.
FACT: In the past, it was recommended that conventional motor oil be used for your first oil change to allow for some controlled wear to break-in the new engine. However, with current engine technology, a break-in period is not necessary. You can use synthetics immediately.

Maybe this will help some who are still on the fence when it comes to synthetic motor oil.

Later. M.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm just thinking....
why is the scheduled oil change intervals different in the US and Europe...

In my manual( in german since I bought the car used from Germany) says that that I shuld change the oil every 15 000km(16 000km is the same as 10 000 US Miles)

When I'm reading your recomandations and the US manuals they instruct you to change you oil every 5000miles... which is 8000km.. which is only half the distance for the "european" oil change interval...

In Europe VW and Audi are one some models using the "long shift intervals" which is 30 000km(almost 20k US miles)... then they use special oil and filters, I don't know which oil.. and this is also on cars with turbo diesel...
My experience with turbo diesel is that the oil gets "dirty" and black much faster than on a gasoline engine.

I used to own a VW passat with tdi(90hp).. and i changed the oil every 15 000km according to the instructions in the manual...

somone know why it is different??

European manuals says what quality the oil shuld be.. according to the API or other ratings.. brand, syntethic or not is for you to choose..

·
Registered
771 Posts
Many new Vw and Audi come with synthetic from the factory. 20,000 Kms is about right for this type of oil although many of us wouldn't leave it this long. Filter changes are still important.

Later. M.

·
Registered
31 Posts
New BMW, MB, Audi, VW and others are often equipped with a sensor which is monitoring the oil, and tell when you need to change it... according to an audi/vw forum in Norway most people are able to drive 20 000km or so on their new diesel cars before the first oil change...

On some of my cars I have done the oil change myself..
and I'm changing oil and oil-filter and air-filter every 15 000km. the air-filter is cheap so I change it this often!

I always use high quality syntetic oil..

the question is..

whay does the oem manual(in europe) recomended to have an oil change every 15 000km while in the US the oem manual says oil change every 5000miles(8000km)??
is it because:
- the oil in europe is better(I don't think so)
- the euorpeans drive different(I don't think so.. in Norway it's a lot of starts in cold temperatures and a lot of short rides.. shuld mean higher "stress/load" on the oil)
- other differences???

Nils

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's because US companies are more greedy and customers less technically informed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
For the same reason we don't sell Fiat, and a host of other European cars here. This week it is 120 degrees in AZ, ND can see -20 in winter. Gudelines have to fit the US driving conditions.

·
Registered
165 Posts
NilsintheSnow said:
I always use high quality syntetic oil..

the question is..

whay does the oem manual(in europe) recomended to have an oil change every 15 000km while in the US the oem manual says oil change every 5000miles(8000km)??
is it because:
- the oil in europe is better(I don't think so)
Nils
I believe European model ship with syn oil, but North American model doesn't. And European model based on oil change interval of syn, but NA based on interval of dino oil.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Royal Purple synthetic oil

I've used Royal Purple in everything from my '93 MAzda RX-7 tt to my tuned '95 Maxima and my wife's '96 Toyota Corolla. It's great stuff.

Now I'm ready to put it in my '07 Toyota RAV4 Sport at 8,000 mi.
Here in the Mojave Desert (today was 122 F. at Baker California on I-15 coming back from LA to my home in Las Vegas) we need synthetic oil more tham moss places.

Royual Purple is the best synthetic oil, by many tests, for gaining horsepower and preventing wear.

Soon my ATF will be changed to Poyal Purple fluid and the differentials in my 4WD will get R.P. gear oil.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts