Discussion Starter #1
Alpine IVA-W205:

iPod:

DVD:

TV (via the Alpine TUE-T151 TV Tuner):

Alpine TV Tuner antennas:

Rear view of RAV4, which barely shows any sign of the antennas:

Installed iPod in the top glove box:

Had to uninstall the lower glove box, which is very easy. Then, from underneath the top glove box, used a 9/16" spade bit (because of the width of the iPod connector - the end that connects to the deck) to drill through.

Spade bit:

Then, using an Xacto blade, cut a "+" in the black felt, over the hole, for cosmetic purposes, to allow the cable to go through without an eye sore.

Xacto blade:

Then ran the iPod connector (the end that connects to the deck), from the top of the top glove box, through.

Stinger digital voltage meter:

Image Dynamics CD2 Neo mini horns (3500Hz & up):

Driver side:

Passenger side:

JL Audio Bass Knob:

Front door Dynaudio MW170 7" speakers install (50Hz - 3500 Hz) (speakers are mounted on two 1/2" MDF rings glued together for precise mounting depth):

MDF ring & Elemental Designs sound deadening material around the speaker opening:

Added 1/8" gasket material onto the MDF ring:

Installed MDF ring with three #14 x 2" sheet metal screws:

Finished install:

Front door Boston Acoustics Neo 5t 1" tweeters install (3500Hz & up) (tweeters are purposely aimed at the windshield for optimum imaging...they are mounted on 1/2" MDF for precise mounting height):

Driver-side closeup:

Driver-side pic taken from driver seat:

Passenger-side closeup:

Passenger-side pic taken from passenger seat:

Dual-chamber speaker box install (80Hz & below) (speaker box is 2.4 cubic feet per chamber...is 9 1/8" taller than the floor & it of course uses the bottom cargo area...I eventually plan to cover the entire top with a sturdy cover...with plexiglass over the amps...and acoustic material & sturdy bars/wood over the subs, allowing things to be placed on top):

Rear view of speaker box (two JL 1000/1 amps, two JL 13.5 W7 subwoofers, one Optima yellow top battery, Stinger dual fuse block, two Stinger distribution blocks & Stinger battery terminals):

Rear view closeup of speaker box:

Front view of speaker box [one JL 450/4 amp (75x2 goes to the Boston Acoustics tweeters AND is paralleled to the Image Dynamics horns/150x2 goes to the Dynaudio midranges), one Sony 75x2 amp (don't laugh at the Sony amp...no it doesn't go with the JLs & yes it looks like crap, but the amp was given to me & so I used it as my "rear fill" amp...hooked it up to a pair of Polk 6.75" coaxials in the rear doors (50Hz & up)...besides, it won't be seen anyway with the rear seats upright) & one Stinger dual fuse block]:

Top-side view of all 4 amps:

Underneath hood battery install:

Optima yellow top battery (battery is sitting on two pieces of 1/2" MDF for proper mounting height) (I had to bend the factory battery connections with heavy-duty pliers so that they would lay flat & mount on the Optima battery terminal posts...the Optima battery terminal posts are about 2 inches further away than the stock battery's):

Two Stinger fuse blocks (one links to the back of the RAV4...the other links to the Iraggi 300 Amp alternator...both are wire-tied to 3 nearby stock cables):

·
Registered
397 Posts
sweet system rscotta; I can imagine how hard it must thump. :thumbs_up:

Thanks for posting the install pics, it should help guide me through my install when the time comes :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RAVPHO said:
sweet system rscotta; I can imagine how hard it must thump. :thumbs_up:

Thanks for posting the install pics, it should help guide me through my install when the time comes :D
MUCHO thanks! Indeed it thumps.

snowdreams offers the best installation tips in his thread:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4329

I would have yanked my hair out & broken plastic panels trying to get my door panels off if it weren't for his instructions.

S

·
0 Posts
wow, thats a big bumping set up. I like it much. I am going over tuesday to get my jl 12w3v3. won't bump like yours but I am tired of blowing these cheap mb quart subs. it should serve its purpose.

S

·
0 Posts
I have been wanting to stick my optima in. did it fit okay? I don't have the booster piece any more so thinking it will be too short. Any help?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
snowdreams1080 said:
I have been wanting to stick my optima in. did it fit okay? I don't have the booster piece any more so thinking it will be too short. Any help?
Fit great, height/length/width-wise. As mentioned in my initial post, the Optima battery is sitting on two pieces of 1/2" MDF for proper mounting height. I had to bend the factory battery connections with heavy-duty pliers so that they would lay flat & mount on the Optima battery terminal posts...the Optima battery terminal posts are about 2 inches further away than the stock battery's.

The toughest part of the battery install was bending those factory battery connections so that they would lie flat, particularly the positive connection. It's thick, tough steel. Used some heavy-duty pliers & squeezed at the joint where it angles 90 degrees. Couldn't get it perfectly flat, but it didn't need to be...just needed to lie flat enough to pull it up to the positive post. And yes, it will pull up to the post even though it doesn't want to go.

The negative connection had to be done the same way, except not as flat. As you can see in the pic, there's this black rectangle piece with an rectangle opening that's connected to the negative post that encompasses the negative connection (dunno what it is, but it must emcompass the negative connection for a reason...prolly for magnetics reasons). I had to first, disassemble the negative connection & then bend the other negative steel piece so that the black rectangle piece would still go around the steel piece. And it has to lie at a ~ 45 degree angle so that it does not hit the battery.

Kinda confusing, I know. But once you put your Optima in place, you'll quickly see what I'm talking about. The stock connections do not conform with the placement of the Optima battery posts. You've gotta do some bending.

BTW - I added that 0 gauge ground wire to the battery connection in the pic. Secured it to a stock bolt just underneath the long black plastic shroud in front of the battery (had to remove the shroud first via the pop clips that holds it down...just pushed the center of the clips with a thin object to get them to remove...then they just pulled right out).

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Optima is in place. Now I am just waiting for my 12w3 to show up and I am ready to go.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RAVPHO said:
hey where did you guys get your wiring harness for the head unit?
The standard Toyota wiring harness at your local car audio dealer will work. The package comes with 2 separate wiring harnesses. It's the same wiring harness package Toyota has used for years.

If your local car audio dealer is out of stock, one can be purchased through Crutchfield for $10 + $6.98 shipping.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ok nice set up
the tweeters I would cover the old hole with a piece of MDF and cover it with some kind of material to match the door and mount tweeters on top of it that way it looks like a clean install . just my 2 cents franco

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why let the tweeters protrude? I simply placed the stock tweeter grilles back on. I only removed them so I could position the tweets where I wanted them & to take pics.

Trust me...it sounds good. The imaging is the best I've ever accomplished & I've been doing this for 19 years.

S

·
0 Posts
have your ever thought of installing lots of sound damping material? i think it would really improve the sound.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my last car, I did my trunk & the entire area of both front doors. It didn't help at all. It's a waste of $ & time. My trunk still rattled like a tin can & my midbass sounded no better.

*edit* I did the roof with 2 layers + 1 layer of RAAMmat Ensolite 1/8" foam & it helped immensely.

·
Registered
397 Posts
8) Very nice, did you recently install the screen? That's a very serious looking setup done clean, respek! I also like how you added the Sony Xplod disclaimer :lol: preempting any questions like, "WTH is the Sony amp doing in a system like that!?" :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I always appreciate your stereo posts rscotta831. I'm in the middle of installing speakers right now and some of your info and photos have been very helpful. However I tried your suggestion of aiming the tweeters at the windshield and I didn't like it. The highs sounded too distant and off axis to me, and I wasn't getting enough reflected sound to make up for it. So I'm going to fabricate some tweeter mounts that will duplicate the factory mounting position and angle as closely as possible. I'll post pics when they're done.

By the way, where did you mount the AUX input jacks or cables for your iPod and /or ext. video

1 - 20 of 28 Posts