Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this for a couple months but forgot to post it here when I last had my TIS sub active. Just sharing for awareness! Just to note, this is a supersession to the original TSB, it includes both 2020 and 2021 Rav4's.

Most likely if you already had the original TSB performed you do not need to have this done again unless your Rav is having troubles. There is a new firmware version out now that is newer than the original TSB. My Rav4 has not had any issues since I had the original TSB performed. Again, just sharing for awareness. :)

[UPDATE] Toyota has updated this TSB with new Firmware versions: LG-N010kkA/RAR-55 or RAR-77. Attached updated PDF. Looks like Corolla Cross has been added to the DCM party.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Just an update for those DIY types, all of my Connected Services had expired, except Dynamic Nav. and Service Connect and I was still able to update my DCM firmware on my own using TechStream 16.0. I had an older DCM firmware version than was listed in this TSB. An active DCM subscription is required for the firmware update so I'm not sure which of those two did the trick for me.

In the 2020 Limited, Dynamic Nav. trial is 3 years and Service Connect is 10 years.

If you aren't having any of the issues in the TSB, don't do this on your own. If you are having these issues just go to a Toyota dealership. There is a risk of bricking your DCM if you make a mistake doing this on your own. They aren't cheap and I'm not responsible if you break your car.

Rectangle Font Line Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
[UPDATE] Toyota has updated this TSB with new Firmware versions: LG-N010kkA/RAR-55 or RAR-77. Attached updated PDF in OP. Looks like Corolla Cross has been added to the DCM party.

You only need these updates if you are having the issues described in the TSB. Your dealership can perform them.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK, so some further information on this in case the knowledge helps others. I imagine this info would be relevant for other Toyota models using this DCM.

Again, if you aren't having any of the issues in the TSB, don't do this on your own. If you are having these issues just go to a Toyota dealership. There is a risk of bricking your DCM if you make a mistake. They aren't cheap and I'm not responsible if your break your car. I'm a techie. I like tinkering, seeing what makes stuff tick and pursuing new knowledge. It's pretty much the only reason I did this on my own.

I was able to get my DCM updated today to LG-N010kkA/RAR-77. It seems my previous update attempts failed because my vehicle 12v battery was not at a sufficient voltage level when initiating the update request. My battery tender was not supplying enough voltage. After several days of long drives I reattempted today. Some notes:

• You do not have to disconnect the 12v battery for ~30 minutes to "reset" the DCM as long it has been quite awhile since your last drive, in my case 12+ hours. Just turn the key/push button to IG-ON (last one before engine start). I imagine this is recommended in a dealership setting where you just drove in for service and the DCM is chatting away about it's last drive/parked location etc.

• If the vehicle 12v Battery level is too low the software update won't begin but there won't be any message in Techstream saying this. Instead it will just say the update has started.... but nothing ever happens.

• The laptop being used for Techstream does not need an active connection to the internet for this to work, I left mine offline. Techstream just tells the car's DCM to start the process on it's own.

• The update seems to just require some form of DCM subscription, not just SOS. In my case my Dynamic Nav. 3 year Trial is still active. Unsure if the 10 Year Service connect would also work. Having SOS active just makes monitoring the status of the DCM update easier.

• SOS LEDs respond by going Green/Red solid on while the update is downloading/flashing. During this process the signal strength indicator of the DCM on the head unit will grey out at a certain point. The SOS LEDs will then go off and come back on Solid Green/Red again for a short time. After this both will blink on and off green/red back and forth before the SOS light returns to solid green only (If your SOS is active). If SOS is not active you will see your DCM signal strength indicator return to normal and show the coverage bars. There is no other indication of the update status if you do not have an active SOS subscription so definitely do not power your car off prematurely.

• You can verify the update completed by following the instructions in the TSB or by going into the Telematics ECU and clicking on Data List to verify the new firmware version in the live data view.

• My Keyfob remote start is still functioning on the latest firmware.

Anyway. Just wanted to share this knowledge in case it benefited someone somewhere sometime someway. 🍻
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Rectangle Font Line Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
It continues to amaze me of the changes Toyota made going from the initial release in 2019 to 2020+. Some which were not beneficial as this TSB covers. I often wonder if adding AA was the cause of for the changes and resulting issues.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It continues to amaze me of the changes Toyota made going from the initial release in 2019 to 2020+. Some which were not beneficial as this TSB covers. I often wonder if adding AA was the cause of for the changes and resulting issues.
Toyota should have stuck with the Verizon DCM. There have been 0 service bulletins for it and Verizon has better network coverage in the continental US. I'm curious to know who manufactured the DCM in the 2019 Rav4.

I'm guessing cost cutting was the factor for Toyota, and LG just manufactured a stinker of an initial DCM part/software that unfortunately affected thousands of folks and left some stranded or others late to work (as was my case when I initially got bit by this). Thankfully my wife was still home at the time so I was able to jump start the Rav4 and be on my way instead of calling roadside assistance.

My headunit and AA have been rock solid though. (Knock on wood).

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had this for a couple months but forgot to post it here when I last had my TIS sub active. Just sharing for awareness! Just to note, this is a supersession to the original TSB, it includes both 2020 and 2021 Rav4's.

Most likely if you already had the original TSB performed you do not need to have this done again unless your Rav is having troubles. There is a new firmware version out now that is newer than the original TSB. My Rav4 has not had any issues since I had the original TSB performed. Again, just sharing for awareness. :)

[UPDATE] Toyota has updated this TSB with new Firmware versions: LG-N010kkA/RAR-55 or RAR-77. Attached updated PDF. Looks like Corolla Cross has been added to the DCM party.
I have a 2020 Rav4 Limited (gas model) which I bought new in Nov 2019 which I‘ve done some preliminary checks on the battery and the Service Menu is showing 11.2v at rest after overnight in the garage (see attached). This appears to be a depleted battery issue as per the TSB. I‘m not having any of the other issues on the TSB nor described by other 2020 Rav4 owners. I intend to show the local dealership the Service menu output (e.g. 11.2v battery) and suggest they apply the firmware update and DCM reset as you’ve indicated on the .pdf you attached (or other latest version). My questions are to you:
(1) is the T-SB-0089-21 the latest update?
(2) what is the best approach for getting the dealer to apply the updates (e.g. I plan to hand them the TSB and show them a screenshot of the 11.2v displayed on the System screen) and hopefully get a new battery installed.
(3) should I expect them to replace the battery for free (or prorated) or will they try to just charge the existing battery?
(4) is there a way to check the current firmware version on my vehicle? (it has been into the dealership a couple of times for regular maintenance since I purchased it and so it is possible the firmware update and/or DCM reset could have been done at that time?)

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,539 Posts
I have a 2020 Rav4 Limited (gas model) which I bought new in Nov 2019 which I‘ve done some preliminary checks on the battery and the Service Menu is showing 11.2v at rest after overnight in the garage (see attached). This appears to be a depleted battery issue as per the TSB. I‘m not having any of the other issues on the TSB nor described by other 2020 Rav4 owners. I intend to show the local dealership the Service menu output (e.g. 11.2v battery) and suggest they apply the firmware update and DCM reset as you’ve indicated on the .pdf you attached (or other latest version). My questions are to you:
(2) what is the best approach for getting the dealer to apply the updates (e.g. I plan to hand them the TSB and show them a screenshot of the 11.2v displayed on the System screen) and hopefully get a new battery installed.
(3) should I expect them to replace the battery for free (or prorated) or will they try to just charge the existing battery?
(4) is there a way to check the current firmware version on my vehicle? (it has been into the dealership a couple of times for regular maintenance since I purchased it and so it is possible the firmware update and/or DCM reset could have been done at that time?)
it takes many days or even weeks for the battery to be depleted due the DCM issue, not just over night. If your battery is really that low with just overnight since driving it, you have something else wrong with it.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that's the latest version of the TSB that I have found. The update file is actually sent directly to the car through it's cellular connection from Toyota's servers, so it's possible the servers may present an even newer version of firmware than is listed in the TSB.

I had my original TSB done at my 5k service. My battery was dead one morning before work and nothing was left on in the car. I was already familiar with the 2020 Rav4 having the issue from this forum. Mine was built on 02/2020 in Japan so I imagine I had a slightly newer version of the firmware from the factory than a lot of the early 2020s had, because for the longest time mine had no issues with the Toyota app or dead battery.

The TSB only covers vehicles under the initial 3/36 warranty. If you are past that I believe the dealership can actually charge you for the fix if they wanted to, although it's such a quick process for them to do while it is in for scheduled maintenance a dealership with a true focus on customer service might do it for free outside warranty.

My battery was not replaced although I have read others on here that the dealership replaced theirs.

The DCM firmware version is unfortunately not a customer facing value like the headunit software version is, to view the DCM software versions you need access to Toyota's Techstream software and a compatible Mini VCI J2534 cable.

If you're a DIY type you can snag an affordable cable on Amazon, and subscribe to Toyota's TIS for 2 days, the 65 dollar plan gives you access to not only the repair manuals, but also the latest version of Techstream and access to all of the various firmware updates and calibrations.

I'd still recommend going through a dealership though, if they screw up the process it is their dime to replace your DCM. 😎

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes that's the latest version of the TSB that I have found. The update file is actually sent directly to the car through it's cellular connection from Toyota's servers, so it's possible the servers may present an even newer version of firmware than is listed in the TSB.

I had my original TSB done at my 5k service. My battery was dead one morning before work and nothing was left on in the car. I was already familiar with the 2020 Rav4 having the issue from this forum. Mine was built on 02/2020 in Japan so I imagine I had a slightly newer version of the firmware from the factory than a lot of the early 2020s had, because for the longest time mine had no issues with the Toyota app or dead battery.

The TSB only covers vehicles under the initial 3/36 warranty. If you are past that I believe the dealership can actually charge you for the fix if they wanted to, although it's such a quick process for them to do while it is in for scheduled maintenance a dealership with a true focus on customer service might do it for free outside warranty.

My battery was not replaced although I have read others on here that the dealership replaced theirs.

The DCM firmware version is unfortunately not a customer facing value like the headunit software version is, to view the DCM software versions you need access to Toyota's Techstream software and a compatible Mini VCI J2534 cable.

If you're a DIY type you can snag an affordable cable on Amazon, and subscribe to Toyota's TIS for 2 days, the 65 dollar plan gives you access to not only the repair manuals, but also the latest version of Techstream and access to all of the various firmware updates and calibrations.

I'd still recommend going through a dealership though, if they screw up the process it is their dime to replace your DCM. 😎
I do have a software background and have done firmware upgrades to many computers and devices. However, since my Rav4 is still under the 3yr/36k limit defined by Toyota to cover it under warranty, I will have them do it. Like you stated, if they screw it up they will have to fix it. The procedure in the .pdf doesn’t look that difficult if you’ve been trained or done it before. I will assume the dealership does these every day and has sufficiently-trained staff to do it correctly.

Reactions: WillRav4Tacos

·
Registered
407 Posts
it takes many days or even weeks for the battery to be depleted due the DCM issue, not just over night. If your battery is really that low with just overnight since driving it, you have something else wrong with it.
I actually hadn’t driven the car in 3-4 days, but the 11.2v over-night reading is quite low I think (under 25% charge as per attached graph). When I started the car this morning and checked the battery voltage again in the Service Menu, it jumped to 13.5 while running. This is still at the low end of the range as far as I understand (see attached).

Subsequent to the above, I decided to get a second opinion on the state of my battery and take it to the local Orilly’s. The technician who tested my battery there said while the alternator is good, the battery is not and would not benefit from an attempt to charge it. He recommended replacing it with a better (AGM) battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
I actually hadn’t driven the car in 3-4 days, but the 11.2v over-night reading is quite low I think (under 25% charge as per attached graph). When I started the car this morning and checked the battery voltage again in the Service Menu, it jumped to 13.5 while running. This is still at the low end of the range as far as I understand (see attached).

Subsequent to the above, I decided to get a second opinion on the state of my battery and take it to the local Orilly’s. The technician who tested my battery there said while the alternator is good, the battery is not and would not benefit from an attempt to charge it. He recommended replacing it with a better (AGM) battery.
Subsequent to evaluation of the battery as per above, I took my RAV4 to the dealer and presented them with a copy of T-SB-0089-21 for the DCM reset and firmware upgrade. The dealer did install the software because of the “battery depletion” issue, but claimed that my battery was still good(?!).. This is even though my own testing and the test done by Oreilly’s indicated otherwise, which I discussed with the dealer service rep. I figure at least I still have 6 months left on the 3yr/36k new car warranty to get the battery replaced, if it continues to go south.

Reactions: Tazio Nuvolari

·
Registered
407 Posts

FYI: to summarize my own experience with this TSB:
1) if you are having one of the issues listed in the TSB (like I did with the “depleted battery” issue documented below), and you are still covered under the 3yr/36k new car warranty, the dealer will install the TSB for FREE!
2) take a copy (or the TSB number) of the TSB with you and give it to your Toyota service advisor and tell him which issue you are having.
3) if you have let the “Connected Services” (e.g. SOS button) free trial expire, you will have to call Toyota and pay $8 for a month of activation (there is no “1 day activation”) of the Connected services. This will allow the dealer to test the SOS button is active, install the firmware and do the DCM reset. Ask the service advisor for the main phone number. Navigating the Toyota phone menu is not intuitive, so just get a real Toyota person to answer and tell them what you’re trying to do, and they will transfer you to the correct department to active the Connected services.
That’s it!

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI: to summarize my own experience with this TSB:
1) if you are having one of the issues listed in the TSB (like I did with the “depleted battery” issue documented below), and you are still covered under the 3yr/36k new car warranty, the dealer will install the TSB for FREE!
2) take a copy (or the TSB number) of the TSB with you and give it to your Toyota service advisor and tell him which issue you are having.
3) if you have let the “Connected Services” (e.g. SOS button) free trial expire, you will have to call Toyota and pay $8 for a month of activation (there is no “1 day activation”) of the Connected services. This will allow the dealer to test the SOS button is active, install the firmware and do the DCM reset. Ask the service advisor for the main phone number. Navigating the Toyota phone menu is not intuitive, so just get a real Toyota person to answer and tell them what you’re trying to do, and they will transfer you to the correct department to active the Connected services.
That’s it!
Just an FYI to others for the future, you do not have to pay anything to reactivate expired Connected Services for this TSB through your dealership.

A dealership can follow the below document that is available to them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just an FYI to others for the future, you do not have to pay anything to reactivate expired Connected Services for this TSB through your dealership.

A dealership can follow the below document that is available to them.

Interesting…my dealer apparently was not familar with this procedure. I was told by the dealership service rep that it was up to me, the car owner, to activate the service so that the technician could do the firmware and DCM reset. When I talked to the Toyota Customer Service person via the 800 number, they indicated I could re-activate it for $8 for the month (non-renewable), which seemed reasonable. I wasn’t charged for the firmware and DCM update, so $8 was o.k with me (but of course free is better). This sounds like a training issue (for the service rep), who wasn’t familiar with this free procedure.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting…my dealer apparently was not familar with this procedure. I was told by the dealership service rep that it was up to me, the car owner, to activate the service so that the technician could do the firmware and DCM reset. When I talked to the Toyota Customer Service person via the 800 number, they indicated I could re-activate it for $8 for the month (non-renewable), which seemed reasonable. I wasn’t charged for the firmware and DCM update, so $8 was o.k with me (but of course free is better). This sounds like a training issue (for the service rep), who wasn’t familiar with this free procedure.
Not many dealership techs read TIS. Thankfully it was only 8 bucks for you, which is cheaper than the 20 bucks you would have paid for TIS access to find it yourself. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not many dealership techs read TIS. Thankfully it was only 8 bucks for you, which is cheaper than the 20 bucks you would have paid for TIS access to find it yourself. :)
The other shortcoming of the Service Rep in my mind is he either disregarded my evidence of dipleated battery (see screenshot of my Service menu screen showing resting/overnight battery charge at 11.2v to 11.4, which is very low) or the technician never bothered to check the battery. But why install the software if the battery wasn’t dipleated? They might have just checked the running battery level which indicates 13.6 and concluded the battery was still good.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Toyota should have stuck with the Verizon DCM. There have been 0 service bulletins for it and Verizon has better network coverage in the continental US. I'm curious to know who manufactured the DCM in the 2019 Rav4.

I'm guessing cost cutting was the factor for Toyota, and LG just manufactured a stinker of an initial DCM part/software that unfortunately affected thousands of folks and left some stranded or others late to work (as was my case when I initially got bit by this). Thankfully my wife was still home at the time so I was able to jump start the Rav4 and be on my way instead of calling roadside assistance.

My headunit and AA have been rock solid though. (Knock on wood).
My DCM just bit the dust in my '19 LE and the dealership will be installing a new one tomorrow. Can I expect the LG version, or will it be Verizon? I just want it to work for voice commands and blue tooth calls. I don't use the connect services.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My DCM just bit the dust in my '19 LE and the dealership will be installing a new one tomorrow. Can I expect the LG version, or will it be Verizon? I just want it to work for voice commands and blue tooth calls. I don't use the connect services.
Late to respond to your post, but the 2019 RAV4 DCM will be replaced with the same part number, aka Verizon DCM. 🍻

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, looks like there is another DCM firmware version available for the 2020+ RAV4.

My Safety Connect was about to expire again so I figured I'd plug in the ol' Surface and check Techstream.

Version is up to "M" now. Happy updating.

Car Motor vehicle Home appliance Vehicle Automotive design

Computer Personal computer Output device Gadget Flat panel display

Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Personal luxury car Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Font Gas

Computer Personal computer Computer monitor Font Operating system

1 - 20 of 20 Posts