Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction: Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption. Use the following repair procedure to address this condition.

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

Download: http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys and gals...great post here. Not only do I own a 06 Rav4 but I work in a repair shop and we have been seeing quite a few Toyota vehicles with high oil consumption issues lately. I'm presently starting to get my ducks in a row to turn the screws on my local dealer to get this repair done under the 60 month 60K powertrain warranty, and will keep this updated if it progresses as I think it should. It is curious that this TSB has been out for several months but data sources like ALLDATA and Identifix dont have it listed...is Toyota hiding it???

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is curious that this TSB has been out for several months but data sources like ALLDATA and Identifix dont have it listed...is Toyota hiding it???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone had the repair made yet. I just had my second 1,200 mile consumption test done, 3/4 quart down. Going for a third test in 1,200 miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think Toyota should have a recall for this kind of problem not just issuing a service bulletin. Most of the owners doesn't know about mechanical so for safety purposes it must have a recall than issuing TSB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:confused:I am just finding out about this TSB! MY '07 has 70k miles and I have taken it to the dealer for all the services and followed Toyota's service schedule. My oil light never went on to tell me I was low. It blinked once or twice on the fwy when I slowed down quickly due to traffic. So I checked the oil and my engine was empty - the dipstick was dry! Shouldn't the dealer have noted oil consumption over the past services? I don't have any leaks, saw no smoke, smelled nothing, had no oil light on...this is wrong that I now am expected to shell out thousands of dollars to fix it. I'm going to purseu this with Toyota. Any suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too had the oil consumption problem. I noticed the low oil light when applying the brakes. We didn't notice this until after the 60k warranty. I used nothing but Mobile 1 0W-20 in it from day one. It probably was low the last few times we brought it into the dealership for oil changes and they never told us. Also, the water pump began weeping @ 61k. Lesson learned here to check oil before and after oil changes. I stressed about it for a day and decided to trade our 07 oil burner @80k in on a 2012 Honda Ridgeline on Memorial Day. We still have a 2010 V6 Rav4 that I will be watching like a hawk before and after all maintaince. I'm done buying Toyota for now, I feel they have gotten too big and have cut corners like GM.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My oil light never went on to tell me I was low. It blinked once or twice on the fwy when I slowed down quickly due to traffic.
I noticed the low oil light when applying the brakes.
FYI, the car doesn't have a low oil light...it has a low oil pressure light...not the same thing. The reason you both saw a flicker on hard braking is because the remaining oil in the pan rushed away from the pickup causing a momentary loss of pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is a follow-up; I've now had three oil consumption tests on my '07. First test 1/2 qt low, Second test 3/4 qt low and third test 1/2 qt low. All after 1,200 miles.
My question; Has anyone had similar oil consumption on their 4 cyl and gone to say, the 100,000 mile mark. Just how bad will/does the oil consumption get?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Introduction: Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption. Use the following repair procedure to address this condition.

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
Anyone had any luck getting this repair done at Toyota or the dealer's expense after 60,000 miles? My RAV4 is one of the ones supposedly affected. The dealer gave us lots of BS about it being normal for a vehicle to burn 3.5 quarts of oil in 4,000 miles. A mechanic friend is also concerned that there maybe other damage requiring replacement of the short block (that they will in all likelihood) refuse to cover.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Technically. . .

FYI, the car doesn't have a low oil light...it has a low oil pressure light...not the same thing. The reason you both saw a flicker on hard braking is because the remaining oil in the pan rushed away from the pickup causing a momentary loss of pressure.
"the remaining oil in the pan" - was TOO LOW. When you see that flicker of low oil PRESSURE light under hard braking, acceleration or cornering - time to add oil. When the low oil PRESSURE light stays on - it's too late.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on the low oil "pressure" light. The bottom line is when someone sees that light come on its not good. My friend who had his engine fixed by the dealership had it fixed under an extended warranty he bought when he bought his Camary 4cyl. The dealership acted like he was lucky he got the extended warranty and was saved. He was still mad that he had bought the warranty in the first place and essentially paid for it to get fixed by the cost of the warranty. He says it's running fine as of now and will keep his eyes on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As of right now, My RAV (67k, 2006) is in the dealership getting this work done. They recommended that I come back after 1200 miles since the dipstick didn't register any oil. Checked it before I went to the dealership and the oil was dirty and low. Told the tech who made note of it and I found out that they will fix it since I had the extended warranty. I should be getting the car back tomorrow and will see what happens.

From this experience, I would say that not all dealerships are bad... my service tech kept me informed about the process and I didn't have to do multiple oil consumption tests as some folks here, they started the work asap. Find a good service tech and work with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's interesting. Cars and their electronics have become too complex I think. My 1994 Ford Ranger has an oil pressure gauge and a low oil warning light. Too many idiot lights in modern cars...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 100,000 miles on my '07 Rav. It's the first car I've owned that made it this far without major problems. I've bragged to everyone about how reliable Toyotas are and that I'd probably never buy an American car soon since I'd had such bad luck with a Dodge Caravan and a Ford Windstar. Now I find that there's a manufacturing defect my engine that will cost approx $5000 to repair. I like to keep a car until it dies. I am so disappointed that my Rav isn't turning out to be much better than the Ford or Dodge. I just can't believe this. If it's a manufacturing defect, Toyota should make it good!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2008 RAV4 with just over 50,000 miles on it. I bought it in November 2011 with just under 36,000 miles. Noticing some oil comsumption (about 1/2 quart every 4000 miles). Looked at the TSB, then checked my car's VIN which ends in 67, not 66 as mentioned in the TSB. Does this mean that my engine is not one of those affected? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So your VIN is JTM#D3#V#85209467 ? By my reading that means you have the fix already.

I'm thinking of buying an I4 2AZ engine 2008 RAV 4 I found, but what's the thinking here? Is this a likely problem to develop? It's hard to tell if its 1 in 1000 that use oil abnormally or 1 in 10. I don't think the warantee work was done, perhaps because it didn't develop the oil usage, more likely they didn't know of the issue. It's got to be a $3000-$4000 repair at 16 hrs labor and major parts.

Maybe the 2009 AR engine is what I should get.

Junebug, do you have an opinion on this?

Allan

1 - 20 of 156 Posts