TSB Number: T-SB-0130-12
Bulletin Title: Transaxle Whine Noise
Release Date: August 12, 2012
Applicable Year(s): 2006 – 2012
File Size: 10.4 Mb
Download: https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/T-SB-0130-12.pdf
Canada TSB: https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/T-TCI-3827-Rev1.pdf

SUPERSESSION NOTICE
The information contained in this bulletin supersedes SB No. T-SB-0192-10. Applicability has been updated to include 2012 model year vehicles. Service Bulletin No. T-SB-0192-10 is obsolete and any printed versions should be discarded. Be sure to review the entire content of this bulletin before proceeding.

Description: Some 2006 – 2012 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with the 5 speed automatic transaxle may exhibit a whine noise from the final drive gear assembly. This noise is usually noticeable between 20 MPH up to 65 MPH.

NOTE
To prevent unnecessary part replacement, please refer to the Production change information on page 2 prior to starting vehicle repairs.

APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
• Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this bulletin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4W Comments: VIN Specific

·
Registered
381 Posts
Can this problem happen any time or is it noticeable from the very first day? So far mine is dead silent but I'm a bit disappointed as I thought this problem had been resolved (no need to replace mounts on 2011-2012) but transmission replacement may still be needed...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can this problem happen any time or is it noticeable from the very first day? So far mine is dead silent but I'm a bit disappointed as I thought this problem had been resolved (no need to replace mounts on 2011-2012) but transmission replacement may still be needed...
I started to notice mine when I got to 15K miles. It may have been whining before then, but it was not noticeable. By the time I got to 19K, it was getting louder and I knew it was time to take it in.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks JuneBug, I'll keep my fingers crossed as I only have barely over 1,000 miles (1,700 kms)!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 15,000 on mine and had it replaced about 1,000 miles ago. No more noise. Still love my Rav4. The 4th one I have owned!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Made a service appointment to bring my wife's new-to-her '09 Sport in for this. Funny we didn't notice the whine at all on the test drive, but a few days later she asked me if the whine she was hearing was normal. I was like ohh ohh. Anyway, it has 29,500 miles on it so well with in the powertrain warranty.

Is there anything else I need to tell them other than a description and giving them a copy of the TSB?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Drive Train Whine on 2012 V6

Same noise as in this forum. 40-55mph. Dealer says it's Normal.

Getting my Tranny replaced next week. different dealer and service team said was very noticeable and gave no crap about it unlike dealer 1. said there were 4 units in whole USA and would locate one and install pronto. great attitude. told my pal in NJ who owns same Rav 2012 V6 to watch out for symptoms of noise.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
mine did it from day one... I'm at 11,000km right now and it as not changed, still get on my nerves!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well our dealership ordered the transmission mounts and should have them in next week. Hope that solves the problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just took my '09 with a V-6/5speed to the dealer for two noises, that may be connected (or not) - The one is a multiple-noted whine that's a lot like wind noise, but isn't wind noiise; present from about 30 to 60, and tops out at around 45-50. This one began about a week ago and the car went in Monday 2/14/13 and it's still there as of 08:30 EST 1/16. The second noise, that has been noticeable for about 2K miles, is a lower note, much lower in fact, that's audible from about 15 mph down to a stop. It 's not a grinding such as a bearing, but more like a hum or just a very low tone of whistle.

I had to wait for the second, higher frequency noise to show up before taking it in, as it was nearly impossible to point out the original lower frequency noise I'm concerned with, since it's masked with naturally-occurring transmission final gear whine (which I hear in most all cars, not a problem to me) except during low speed deceleration.

The word so far is that they ordered some mounts or another, and later said they're changing out the drive shaft (presumably from the trans to the rear axle). Plus, they want to swap out the fuel tank. Whatever.

Thanks to those who made the TSB's available; I'll have to check those part numbers on the repair order to see how they square with the bulletins.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Made a service appointment to bring my wife's new-to-her '09 Sport in for this. Funny we didn't notice the whine at all on the test drive, but a few days later she asked me if the whine she was hearing was normal. I was like ohh ohh. Anyway, it has 29,500 miles on it so well with in the powertrain warranty.

Is there anything else I need to tell them other than a description and giving them a copy of the TSB?
Same deal here. We bought my wife a 2009 a few months ago with 53k miles on it. Didn't hear the noise at all during the test drive and I was aware of the issue before buying. Well a few days go by and sure enough there was a prominent whine from the trans. I had a rear wheel bearing go out a few weeks ago so we brought it in to have that repaired under warranty. As long as it was there I had them document the noise, which they heard. They immediately ordered te new mounts which came to $780 for parts and labor. Had them installed two weeks ago and they actually made the trans whine louder in the cabin. Once they rd tested the rav after the new mounts and realized the noise did not disappear, they ordered the new-refurb'd transmission. It's been at the dealer for the past two days having the new unit installed. Will be getting it back tomorrow. Glad I got this taken care of...only about 4k miles left on the 60k mile powertrain. I wish Toyota would just skip to phase two and replace the transmission right away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same deal here. We bought my wife a 2009 a few months ago with 53k miles on it. Didn't hear the noise at all during the test drive and I was aware of the issue before buying. Well a few days go by and sure enough there was a prominent whine from the trans. I had a rear wheel bearing go out a few weeks ago so we brought it in to have that repaired under warranty. As long as it was there I had them document the noise, which they heard. They immediately ordered te new mounts which came to $780 for parts and labor. Had them installed two weeks ago and they actually made the trans whine louder in the cabin. Once they rd tested the rav after the new mounts and realized the noise did not disappear, they ordered the new-refurb'd transmission. It's been at the dealer for the past two days having the new unit installed. Will be getting it back tomorrow. Glad I got this taken care of...only about 4k miles left on the 60k mile powertrain. I wish Toyota would just skip to phase two and replace the transmission right away.
Wow, interesting. Well definitely report back and let us know how it is after the transmission is replaced. I was hoping the mounts would fix it so we could avoid having the Rav out of service for a transmission replacement, but sounds like that might not happen if you experienced a louder whine after new mounts were put in. Yikes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow, interesting. Well definitely report back and let us know how it is after the transmission is replaced. I was hoping the mounts would fix it so we could avoid having the Rav out of service for a transmission replacement, but sounds like that might not happen if you experienced a louder whine after new mounts were put in. Yikes.
The new mounts, which are of a softer compound, essentially just try to "hide" the noise that is there. It is Toyota's way of trying to place a band aid over a more serious issue. The new mounts are intended to keep the trans noise from being distributed through the cabin. Just about everyone on this site has seen no positive results from the new mounts "fix". All in all the issue is with the transmission's internals. I am the type that doesn't let anyone work on my vehicles but myself. Well when I heard this noise and knew I could get a new transmission at 50k miles, I was sold. The entire ordeal dealing with the dealer has been effortless and I just got a call saying that the final road test has been conducted and all is perfect. Ill report back in the coming weeks to let you know how everything turned out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same noise as in this forum. 40-55mph. Dealer says it's Normal.
It "is" normal, because all of the transmissions make the noise. Just because all of them are noisy might make it "normal", but it doesn't make it right.

Bring the TSB to the dealer. Justify it this way:

If it's normal, why did Toyota make a remanufactured transmission with a new part number and a TSB if the noise is "normal"...what company spends millions on engineering a new transmission to replace one that works fine? lol.

My dealer gave me a really hard time, and so did the national Toyota representative. When I asked the tough question above, they didn't have any answers and replaced it without much trouble.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quick update and question for you all that have had the transmission replaced. We have put a little over 500 miles on the new refurb'd transmission and although the noise is gone we are now getting a vibration or resonance in 5th gear at 50-60mph under constant speed. It is most definitely noticable when cold, and with our single digit temps it doesn't help. I first noticed this last night, it is my wife's vehicle so I don't get much time behind the wheel. After letting the vehicle warm up for a few mins I took it down the rd for a little drive. Once shifting into 5th and holding a constant speed of 55, the issue was very noticable in vibration and sound. Tonight we took the rav down the freeway to grab some supper. On the way home we took a county rd so I could see how the issue was when the transmission was up to optimal operating temperature. I held the speed at 55 in 4th gear and had no issues, untill i shifted into 5th gear at that same speed. The noise was still present but less noticable. Wondering if its the new mounts from the phase one fix and a goofy harmonic resonance due to the certain engine rpm at that speed or a final drive gear issue with the new transaxle. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Ill give it a few weeks so i can monitor it, then ill sched an apt if it doesn't clear itself up.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haven't seen this vibration or resonance after over 8000 miles on the new transmission. We drove on the interstate to a restaurant about 30 minutes away this afternoon and it was smooth and quiet. However, mine is 2WD and I believe yours is 4WD.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts