Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSB Number: ST001-08
Bulletin Title: Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise (clunk/pop/knock)
Release Date: October 20, 2008
Applicable Year(s): 2006 - 2008
File Size: 341 kb
Download: http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2008/T-SB-0318-08.pdf

Description: Some customers may hear a clunk, pop, or knock-type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4W Comments: VIN Specific
Update: This TSB replaces obsolete ST001-08

·
Registered
16 Posts
Perfect!

I have this problem with my RAV :( I went to Toyota and told them about it, but we could not find the problem then.

Now I will print this and take it to Toyota at my next service (45.000km) and have it fixed.

Thank you VERY much! 8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
thanks ravman for this tsb,i already experience this knocking sound while turning right,then the sound disappear this winter,and changed to a sound like the right front ball joint is defective, i gave this to the dealer checked the front suspension , the susupension and components is ok, they found out hat the cause of sound is related to this tsb, now just waiting for the parts :wink:

J
0 Posts
the phantom knock

THanks to all , i have gone through the same multiple vists to be told they can find no problem etc right to the point where i was going to trade the car in , im off to see the service department with this service bulletin in hand ..... thanks to all who have shared the same frustrations :)
jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question

For those of you who have had this problem and successfully gotten it repaired at your dealership, did the noise happen all the time? I've heard a clunking sound maybe a dozen or so times since I've had my RAV (almost 2 years). It's always happened when I've been backing out of a parking spot and had the wheel turned all the way to the right/left, then stopped the RAV, shifted into drive, and turned the wheel all the way in the other direction. As soon as I start moving forward, I will get a clunking noise. It doesn't happen every time though. Is that what's supposed to be covered in this TSB? I just got back from the dealership and of course they're claiming that they couldn't recreate the problem and the problem addressed by the TSB involves a constant clunking, not intermittent. Just wondering if they're right based on others' experiences. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: Question

dmwiecz said:
For those of you who have had this problem and successfully gotten it repaired at your dealership, did the noise happen all the time? I've heard a clunking sound maybe a dozen or so times since I've had my RAV (almost 2 years). It's always happened when I've been backing out of a parking spot and had the wheel turned all the way to the right/left, then stopped the RAV, shifted into drive, and turned the wheel all the way in the other direction. As soon as I start moving forward, I will get a clunking noise. It doesn't happen every time though. Is that what's supposed to be covered in this TSB? I just got back from the dealership and of course they're claiming that they couldn't recreate the problem and the problem addressed by the TSB involves a constant clunking, not intermittent. Just wondering if they're right based on others' experiences. Thanks in advance.
FWIW, I'm having the exact same issue right now. Mine originally went in for the clunking and they changed out a bunch of stuff two times (struts, strut mounts, etc.) and it stopped after the second fix. That was more of a "pop pop pop" sound.

Now it makes a much more severe clunk, under the exact circumstances you mentioned. Another scenario it does it is in a decreasing radius exit ramp. In my case, it seems easier to replicate if the steering wheel is straight for a while, and then you turn it hard one way, and then back to straight (or in the opposite direction). I rode around with the service manager for 10 minutes a few weeks ago but could not duplicate the sound. I'm going to give it another try next weekend, as we're 500 miles away from the warranty expiring. I really wish Toyota did a better job engineering their steering components!

The service manager did say that it's definitely not the steering shaft (which has never been replaced in our RAV), even though we're in the VIN range for the TSB.

DJ

·
Registered
173 Posts
Brought mine in recently, told the service manager that I needed a oil change and that there is this clunking noise that can be felt in the steering usually when making a right hander or coming out of the driveway, also they did not do the wheel rotation which I paid for on my last visit. Personally I dont think its ever been done(Spare still has all the beads). Toyota does all the services even though I can do them myself.

The SM said ok he'll look into all issues that I presented though he did ask a bunch of questions about mileage for a whole other issue which was evidence that the rotation was not done.

In the waiting area about an hour after, he comes back, calls my name, I got up, he walk towards the cashier, drops the paperworks off, pointed to it, then left, "wut tha chuck".

Needless to say, none of my issues were addressed. Not even sure if the oil changes are being done. And why do they keeping setting air pressure to 28psi.

Bastards........................

Hopefullly the TSB will help make my Rav a clunk free Rav.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dj, jamroc-

I'm willing to bet that this IS your problem. Run a copy of the TSB off & take it in with it IN HAND. Tell them under no uncertain terms, you want it checked for. They'll fix it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Trambo said:
Dj, jamroc-

I'm willing to bet that this IS your problem. Run a copy of the TSB off & take it in with it IN HAND. Tell them under no uncertain terms, you want it checked for. They'll fix it.
Did that last time, the Service Manager said it was absolutely not the steering shaft. He said if it was, sawing the wheel back and forth would make the noise (which it didn't). Before that, I was pretty positive it was the steering shaft. The initial problem we had was several short pops in the steering, now I'm getting a big clunk that I can feel through the wheel. Taking it in tomorrow for another chance to replicate.

Wish me luck!

DJ

·
Registered
238 Posts
Went in again today, I rode along with the Shop Foreman for about 10 minutes and couldn't duplicate the sound. It made the sound while pulling into a particular store's parking lot earlier in the day, but I tried two more times pulling into the same store and couldn't replicate the noise. Good news is we've made a case with two complaints before the warranty was up, hopefully this will work in our favor if things go further south after we're out of warranty (less than 400 miles). The dealer has been very good about it, it's just frustrating because the issue seems to be very intermittent.

DJ

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have the '08 four cylinder rav, and also made that noise for the first few days of ownership. however, the noise has since disappeared and haven't heard it again for almost 2 months now.

M

·
0 Posts
Ooh the power of the internet....

Had a full on argument with my dealer earlier this year when i complained about this issue and was basically told that my wife (all 5ft2ins of her) was driving too aggressivley and that there was no issue to deal with....in short an FO response.

Printed this out, walked in to the service desk and plonked it down, not a wimper.....will order the parts for you sir and call you when they are in.

Toyota, you are all tools, all you have managed to do is piss off a customer with an 06 rav while you deny the problem only to later admit it. I've bagged out this dealership and toyota in general to sooo many people it must have cost them buckets in lost sales over the two years.

Anyway, thanks a million for finding and posting this TSB, has made me a happy man at last...no more knock knock clunk clunk.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Magic8Ball said:
Ooh the power of the internet....

Had a full on argument with my dealer earlier this year when i complained about this issue and was basically told that my wife (all 5ft2ins of her) was driving too aggressivley and that there was no issue to deal with....in short an FO response.

Printed this out, walked in to the service desk and plonked it down, not a wimper.....will order the parts for you sir and call you when they are in.

Toyota, you are all tools, all you have managed to do is piss off a customer with an 06 rav while you deny the problem only to later admit it. I've bagged out this dealership and toyota in general to sooo many people it must have cost them buckets in lost sales over the two years.

Anyway, thanks a million for finding and posting this TSB, has made me a happy man at last...no more knock knock clunk clunk.
haven't done any tsb's yet. i'll do the one which tackles the noise from the aux when ipod is plugged. walked into the dealer where i bought the rav with the tsb printed out from here.....he looked at me surprised...he asked "where did you get this from?" lol

·
0 Posts
Re: ST001-08 / Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise (clunk/pop/knock) / 02-08-08

RAVMAN said:
TSB Number: ST001-08
Bulletin Title: Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise (clunk/pop/knock)
Release Date: February 8, 2008
Applicable Year(s): 2006 - 2007
File Size: 66 kb
Download: http://www.RAV4World.com/tsb/2006/ST001-08.pdf

Description: Some customers may hear a clunk, pop, or knock-type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4W Comments: VIN Specific
i have 2008 RAV4, with the same knock... is ths TSB still relevant ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found this discussion is very helpful for Rav4 owners (06-07). The steering TSB posted by RAVMAN is a proof for dealer to fix this problem. Last Saturday, I brought my 07 Rav4/I4 Limited to a dealer after reading these posts. I explained to the dealer serivce assistance the steering poping sound when turning the steering. Howver, I am not impressed with the service. If I had to make a choice again, I would not take my Rav4 to the dealer for this fix. Unless you know the dealer service capability to fix this problem. Otherwise, they will create new issues like my case. After the tech installed the steering intermmediate shaft, my steering off the center after I drove out to the lot. Took it back in for re-fix , then other vibration issue occurs everytime I run over the bumps. Somthing is loosing in the shaft. I will bring it back to dealer again to get it fix tomorow. Hopefully it would be fixed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive had my 08 now for almost 2 weeks, and this clunk/clunk has been happening almost every day, wondering if any other '08 owners are experiencing the same thing (im assuming its this TSB, but it looks like the '08s were supposedly fixed)?

Thanks.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally, I got my steering straighten out. Took me 4 trips and hard time to discussed with the guy take my car in. It must be a business training, everytime I said this is new issue after the installation, this guy said it was normall. :shock: Anyway, the popping sound and installation issue have been fixed. My steering is no longer making sound when turning left or right.

For future service at this dealer, I won't bring my car back again because of this idiot guy. For anyone who wants to have your Rav4 fix this steering issue, I suggest you need to check (from friends, or other source of information) how skill of your dealer service technician is and who you talk to. If you can live with the steering sound, then don't take your car in for this fix.

·
Registered
198 Posts
RVelle said:
Ive had my 08 now for almost 2 weeks, and this clunk/clunk has been happening almost every day, wondering if any other '08 owners are experiencing the same thing (im assuming its this TSB, but it looks like the '08s were supposedly fixed)?

Thanks.....
My 08 also had the popping when I took it home from the dealer, but after about a week or two it went away on its own. So if your RAV4 is pretty new, give it a couple of miles and see what happens.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks Konradsa.... havent hit 1000 miles yet with it, but will give it at least another week to see if it goes away.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts