Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks.

I just noticed that this is only for 2013 Rav4, I saw the 2012 for Prius and thought it affects my car, too.

We were away in Montreal and used the nav everyday, it was fine. I used it back home last week during the day and I absolutely could not see it.

I have the dash brightness all the way up, but that seems to only control the gauges, not the nav screen.

I might try this anyway, shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
721 Posts
According to that, the reset is only going to affect the NAV screen. So if we are trying to improve the audio or backup camera screen, we are wasting our time?
Call me crazy but I did the tech tip on Sunday because my media screens were very dim in relation to my back up camera. I don't have Nav. After the TT was performed there was a noticeable increase in brightness and contrast. My wife noticed it too and she normally doesn't have any interest in these types of things. So is it my imagination - who knows, but I don't think so.

R

·
0 Posts
wow, great info. Just did it and it worked out perfectly for me!!!!! Sweet! Anybody know the "proper" way to exit the diagnostic screen? I just turned the car off and back on and it exited out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
wow, great info. Just did it and it worked out perfectly for me!!!!! Sweet! Anybody know the "proper" way to exit the diagnostic screen? I just turned the car off and back on and it exited out.
Yep... that's the proper way... see step 8. of the attached document.

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
Within 15 seconds of starting the vehicle (after the Toyota screen comes on), press and hold the "Media" or "Audio" button, operate the light control switch: Turning the headlights On and Off 4 times (very quickly).
Do we see the screen change if this is done properly? How do I know that I'm doing it right I guess?

Do we turn the headlights from off to on 4x?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Within 15 seconds of starting the vehicle (after the Toyota screen comes on), press and hold the "Media" or "Audio" button, operate the light control switch: Turning the headlights On and Off 4 times (very quickly).
What if I don't have a media button? My 2013 XLE has Audio, Seek, and Track on the left side of the screen and Phone, Car, and Apps on the right side of the screen?

Thanks!
Steve R.
Answer long given.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I still can't get it to "work"... I start the car, after the toyota logo on the screen goes away, I press and hold "AUDIO" then I flip the headlights on (they are resting in the off position), off, on, off, on, off... nothing happens except weird looks from my neighbors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's how to get the TSB to work

On my '13 RAV4, I have the navigation system and a four-position headlight switch. The lowest position is labeled "DRL OFF". In order to get the head unit to go into the diagnostics mode, I must do the following:

Start the car and right after the Toyota logo disappears, press down and hold the AUDIO button and while keeping it pressed, turn the headlight switch from the lowest position to the third position up, which means moving two positions upwards; then turn the switch back to the lowest position; then repeat this up-down cycle twice for a total of three times, ending up back at the lowest position. The trick is this: after arriving each time at the third position from the bottom, hesitate for half a second to make sure that all of the lighting relays have clicked and have thus turned on their respective lights. If you don't hesitate and thus do the three cycles too quickly, then the head unit will not go into the diagnostics mode.

·
Registered
776 Posts
On my '13 RAV4, I have the navigation system and a four-position headlight switch. The lowest position is labeled "DRL OFF". In order to get the head unit to go into the diagnostics mode, I must do the following:

Start the car and right after the Toyota logo disappears, press down and hold the AUDIO button and while keeping it pressed, turn the headlight switch from the lowest position to the third position up, which means moving two positions upwards; then turn the switch back to the lowest position; then repeat this up-down cycle twice for a total of three times, ending up back at the lowest position. The trick is this: after arriving each time at the third position from the bottom, hesitate for half a second to make sure that all of the lighting relays have clicked and have thus turned on their respective lights. If you don't hesitate and thus do the three cycles too quickly, then the head unit will not go into the diagnostics mode.
excellent info!! Thanks. I will try today.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd say it worked on my car too. The nav screen is noticeably brighter than it was before although, I really hadn't noticed until you folks pointed it out. The screen still reflects a lot of light when the sun hits it right so the glare issue isn't much better. There's got to be some way to make a screen of some kind to shade things a bit?

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I LOVE this kind of info... Thanks for posting. I wish there was a thread with nothing but these kind of "shortcuts" and tricks to get deeper into the RAV.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts