Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Maybe, but why Toyota couldn't just get things like this right in the first place instead of us having to wade through mountains of forum discussions to find off the wall and obscure fixes like this one is beyond me. Then again, I've never tried to design a modern automobile. Then again, Toyota's been doing it for a very long time so....... ;)

Having said the above, my Rav4 turned two years old last January. I rounded 63k miles the other day. The only thing I've had done to it (knock on wood) is oil changes, tire rotations, and a couple of air filters. That's not bad, not bad at all! :)

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hate to resurrect this ancient thread... but, I had my battery replaced recently in my 2013 LTD. I thought it was just me but my screen was really dim afterward. Today it occurred to me that I might have to go through this process again to get the screen brightness to respond.

I finally got it to go into diagnostic mode and once I restarted the screen was significantly brighter. Such a PITA. I'm going to have remember that if/when the battery is ever disconnected.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Should you ever need to remove your battery you should hook up a 12 v trickle charger - RED WIRE to the positive lead and BLACK WIRE to the ground point in the engine bay before disconnecting the battery.

This will keep all the vehicle's computers alive and save all your memorized settings.

Just reverse the procedure when the new battery is installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good tip, but just to be clear... using a trickle charger to keep computer systems memories intact would apply ONLY for a battery replacement, and NOT when performing other maintenance or accessory installation that require disconnection of battery to protect against air bag deployment or other electrical issues.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts