Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after following @Satavtech's forum post where he built and installed a Nexus 7 into his Rav4, I figured I would do the same, but slightly different. I have a 2008 Rav4 with JBL AMP/Speakers.
Big thanks to @Satavtech for his detailed explanation, pictures and help in making this all work!

It's currently about 80% working, will needs some software tweaks, and need to connect my JOYCON for the steering wheel controls, and various other things. I'll keep this thread posted.

Parts list:
Nexus 7 (2013 Model)
Sony MEXN5000BT
PAC TATO JBL Harness
Scosche Double Din Dash Kit
StarTech.com Mountable Rugged Industrial 7 Port USB Hub
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB
USB to MicroUSB OTG Y Adapter
3' shielded USB to MicroUSB cable, with the green and white wires cut and secured, so it can only be used for charging, and not data.
Radio Shack [You've got questions we've got blank stares] 3' stereo male to male audio cable.
Radio Shack male to female right angle stereo adapter.
Heat shrink tubing
Hook up wire
Electrical tape
Double sided tape
Zip ties
Sculpy modeling clay

Tools:
Screw drives
Dremel wish cutting & grinding bits
Snips and needle nose pliers
Other various hand tools

I'll do my best to explain my steps and show pictures along the way but for sake of space (and typing) I'm going to assume a lot. So if you have more detailed questions like where did you connect this wire, or how does this work, please just ask.

First I removed the old stereo by popping off the 2 plastic panels on each side, with a LEGO pry bar starting from the bottom. Removed the plugs from each side, then removed all 4 bolts holding the Factory stereo brackets in place. Finally carefully slid the factory stereo out and disconnected all wiring harnesses and cables from the back. Once this is done, I had this:
Photo Nov 08, 12 37 48 PM.jpg

Second I read through the hook up instructions for the PAC TATO as well as the Sony wiring harness. I connected the PAC TATO to one of the existing wiring harnesses then connected the Sony deck to the PAC TATO. Powered up the vehicle and tested to make sure everything worked ok, which it did. Then I secured the PAC TATO inside the compartment with zip ties and double sided foam tape. Then mounted the Sony to the existing mounting brackets but only used one of the mounting bracket holes on each side, and used an opening in the mounting bracket for the second screw, on each side; so 4 screws total, 2 per side, just not where they want you to install them. I did this so the deck would be recessed by a few inches and slightly pointing down which would make some room for the tablet. Here's a few pics that try to show what I did:
Photo Nov 08, 1 18 19 PM.jpg

Making sure everything fits, and showing how the Sony is recessed a bit:
Photo Nov 08, 3 05 44 PM.jpg

Third I found a place to mount the USB hub on the passenger side accessible but still hidden and secured it via double sided foam tape. Then I ran power from an ACC line via hook up wire to the USB hub, and made sure it powered up with the vehicle.
Photo Nov 08, 5 20 00 PM.jpg
We've got POWER!!
Photo Nov 08, 5 19 35 PM.jpg

Lastly I connected the tablet-faceplate and secured all the wires with zip ties and made sure everything was tucked away nicely. Here's how I connected everything starting with the head unit ending with the Sony stereo. I'll try and draw up a diagram later to illustrate this a little better.
Nexus 7 via USB -> Male end of USB OTG Y Adapter (This still has 2 cables I'll try and explain) FEMALE MicroUSB end -> USB to MicroUSB power cable from above, plugged into the hub for power. FEMALE USB plug connected to computer plug on USB hub. USB-DAC -> Stereo AUX cable -> Right angle adapter -> Sony head unit AUX port (on the front).
Then I secured the new face plate and tablet, connected the button cables on each side and secured them back to the vehicle. Here's some pictures that try to do it justice, but not really.

You'll see the tablet on the left, and the Sony on the right, testing to make sure everything works:
Photo Nov 08, 1 18 13 PM.jpg

Making sure everything fits:
Photo Nov 08, 5 54 04 PM.jpg

Finally everything is installed, and back in place. Can't even tell it's not factory!
Photo Nov 08, 5 59 41 PM.jpg

Finally showing off the end result:
Photo Nov 08, 6 00 46 PM.jpg

Sony App remote:
Photo Nov 08, 6 08 39 PM.jpg

More pictures coming.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
I'm not able to see any photos in this post.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Same here! I did try w my wife's glasses n didn't help ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The rest of the post...

Sony and Nexus connected, powered but not installed:
Photo Nov 08, 6 34 19 PM.jpg

Home Screen:
Photo Nov 08, 6 39 55 PM.jpg

MORTAL KOMBAT!
Photo Nov 08, 9 22 19 PM.jpg

How about some South Park (played via Plex btw, and never while driving)!
Photo Nov 08, 10 52 08 PM.jpg

And finally, my current default home screen:
Photo Nov 09, 7 52 31 PM.jpg

I'm out of time for the moment, but will post more pics on how I mounted the tablet to the double din adapter. It took some work, and a date with the dremel tool and a few hours later it was done.

I will also post pics and information about the software that I'm using. But here's a link to it before I go: https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/

Thanks, please enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It looks great!

I definitely like the look of Timur's ROM. I just wish he still hosted the version for the 2012 Nexus. I don't really feel like buying another tablet right now, just to get the ROM.

I see you went with a powered hub, which eliminated a need for the DC to DC converter. I had thought about that. Let me know if you run into any issues with it. I may consider trying it out.

How did you end up dealing with the USB port on the Nexus? Did you relocate it, or did you find enough clearance to plug it in with the tablet mounted?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks great!

I definitely like the look of Timur's ROM. I just wish he still hosted the version for the 2012 Nexus. I don't really feel like buying another tablet right now, just to get the ROM.

I see you went with a powered hub, which eliminated a need for the DC to DC converter. I had thought about that. Let me know if you run into any issues with it. I may consider trying it out.

How did you end up dealing with the USB port on the Nexus? Did you relocate it, or did you find enough clearance to plug it in with the tablet mounted?
Thanks Satavtech, I'll let you know how the USB hub works out, but so far so good. It seems to power the tablet just fine.

As for the USB port it turns out that I was able to leave the plug in the side, and mount the tablet to the double din adapter without much restriction. I even went a little further and using the dremel was able to remove about an 1/8" of the plastic on the adapter and it allowed the USB plug to be completely unrestricted, while still being plugged in. Didn't even need the right angle adapter I ordered. I'll try to get a picture of this to show you what I mean.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did you get it all up and running?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently the only things I have left are steering wheel controls, and figuring out the software issues which are preventing the tablet from controlling the deck.

As for the steering wheel controls I'm a bit lost and not sure where to start. Buried inside where the old head unit was I still have 2x wiring harnesses that are not connected, I know one of them goes to the steering wheel controls. The wiring diagrams on this forum help a little, but I'm still not understanding something. I'm trying to figure out how to connect them to a JOYCON or other adapter via USB so that the tablet can use them as input. The JOYCON is expecting 2 wires, a ground and a signal, but I don't believe that's how the Toyota is wired. Any suggestions or ideas what I can do to get this to work?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagrams for the 2008 with JBL, it looks like the connector you want is E49, a large white connector with 20 pins. It does appear that the Rav4 circuit uses two legs, while the Joyconn is only set up for one, but this should be pretty easy to fix.
Get a multimeter hooked up to pins 6 and 7 on the connector and set to read resistance. Then go through pushing the buttons on your steering wheel and writing down the different resistance values for each button. Don't bother with the Mode button, as it is on the other leg. Now get a resistor from Radio Shack that is a different resistance than the other values you wrote down.
Use your new resistor as a jumper on the back of the connector between pins 7-8. Hook your Joyconn up to pins 6 for common ground and 7 for signal and it should work fine. Mode control should now be whatever value resistor you bought.

Rick

Reactions: Strex

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I finally got some time to hook up the steering wheel controls to the JOYCON, and I can confirm that the above configuration works. The software takes a little getting used to, but it also works. Also to my surprise hooking it up like above makes the call buttons work as well, and you can just map them to what you want on the tablet. Another nice surprise was that hooking up these buttons somehow caused the backlighting on the buttons to work as well.
Thanks again Satavtech!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts