Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change my passenger side brake light on a 2003 Rav4... I can't take the tail light assembly off. I have looked all around it and can't find a way in.. no bolts nothing... I tried to do an internet search and can't find anything.. I need help.. desperate!!!

Thanks
Derrick

·
Registered
212 Posts
take out the side plastic cover (between back seat & the tail light)
and take out the smaller black cover. (I could be wrong because this is how far I've gone to change the light bulb) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
How can you change the light bulb? That space is so cramped and i think you need a special screwdriver to get in there, don't you? I've been wanting to put a steel taillight cover but have not been able to remove the brake lights cuz of the crampy space, and i have small hands :(.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, you're right, it is a small work area, but don't need special tools to change the bulbs, just put your hand in and twist counter clockwise and the whole light bulb socket will come out.
The brake light, backup light and turn signal comes out the same way.

I haven't try taking out the whole tail-light assembly but it should be from that same small opening. You might need a ratchet with some univerisal joints to get into those tight spaces.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry for bringing to life an old thread but, as silly as it is, could someone post the steps or sequence used to remove the panels to access the right side tail light(passenger)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

New member here.

Did anyone actually remove the lens of the break light? I got off one screw, but its still solid in place...

Boneless

·
Registered
197 Posts
You canot remove lens only.. you need to remove whole taillight.
Taillights are bolted with 3 screws. For my 3Door i had to remove the whole interior plastic of the back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts