Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Has anybody noticed cracks in the 2016 model aft lift door light assemblies? I filed a case with Toyota in April, but I'm still fighting for this issue with Toyota and Toyota Dealers. They claim these are manufacturing markings. I noticed manufacturing markings, but what I have in my lights are cracks in the plastic lenses. I have seen these cracks even in some new vehicle's light assemblies in the dealer lot. Please let me know.

Thank you,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Looks more like it's just the housing and seal/adhesive not 100% mated. Not sure it's cracks but hard to tell from the pics. Haven't noticed them on mine but I'd have to look pretty close to see that. If I do have them, I don't think I'm very concerned about it personally.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, Has anybody noticed cracks in the 2016 model aft lift door light assemblies? I filed a case with Toyota in April, but I'm still fighting for this issue with Toyota and Toyota Dealers. They claim these are manufacturing markings. I noticed manufacturing markings, but what I have in my lights are cracks in the plastic lenses. I have seen these cracks even in some new vehicle's light assemblies in the dealer lot. Please let me know.

Thank you,
I have these "blemishes" too, but I would have to agree with Toyota that these are manufacturing markings from the injection molds that they use to make the lens/light housing.

I think you're wasting your time filing a claim. Even if they were cracks, which they aren't, you can barely see them. No one will notice except you. I would just let this one go.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If it were my RAV the "acid test" would be to determine whether water gets into the lamp housing. Would spray the housing with water approximating the pressure which one might experience, for example, in an automatic car wash.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
The lens is made from injection molding. Any injection mold consists of at least 2 pieces so that once the plastic or whatever material is being used has been injected and cooled, the mold can be taken apart to remove the plastic part. Some molds may consist of more than 2 parts for ease of removing complicated/intricate molded parts, so that line that you are seeing is most likely where 2 pieces of the mold come together. It is not worth the time for Toyota to file it down otherwise the cost of the lens goes up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your inputs. I understand and recognized manufacture markings in the lenses. I posted another picture. These starburst cracks starting at one of the manufacture markings. I can see straight lines above and below of the starburst cracks, these are the manufacture markings.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you for your inputs. I understand and recognized manufacture markings in the lenses. I posted another picture. These starburst cracks starting at one of the manufacture markings. I can see straight lines above and below of the starburst cracks, these are the manufacture markings.
Just keep an eye and continue to document with pictures during the cold winter and hot summer temperatures. If the lenses can survive those temps without further propagation of the cracks, then you shouldn't worry too much.

You can stress test it by applying heat (hot boiling water or with a blow dryer), then quickly dumping ice water over it. If it cracks any further, then you'll know for sure and you will have a case with Toyota. Don't tell them what you did tho. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just keep an eye and continue to document with pictures during the cold winter and hot summer temperatures. If the lenses can survive those temps without further propagation of the cracks, then you shouldn't worry too much.

You can stress test it by applying heat (hot boiling water or with a blow dryer), then quickly dumping ice water over it. If it cracks any further, then you'll know for sure and you will have a case with Toyota. Don't tell them what you did tho. Good luck.
That could crack a lens that doesn't even have a defect. Not a good idea imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts