Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other night I went to drive my 1999 RAV4 home from work and as soon as I turned the lights on, my dash and my taillights stayed dark. I have found that the 15A fuse connected to the lights keeps blowing every time I turn the car on. I have not performed any modifications to the vehicle other than adding a subwoofer and amp, which have not given me any problems so far. I read the original thread about this issue, however there had not been a solid solution to the problem, and no one had posted in 5 years. Looking to see if someone knows what's up with this. Right now I have to drive my Dad's 2000 Buick Century when I work nights and without power steering or ABS it's a little more unsafe than my own car so I really need to find a solution to this issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
Have you tried turning the dimmer all the way down?
Any trailer light connectors or adapter installed?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Trailer wiring is a good place to start since Toyota cheeped out in this area. My Rav4 came with a factory installed hitch but no trailer wiring, that had to be added later. This poor planning has led to many having a home-made solution.

The attached specifications file list the fuses and I think #23 is the one melting and this is what it powers:
#23. TAIL 15 Amp:
Gauges and meters, emergency flashers, cigarette lighter, center differential lock system, clock, rear window defogger, air conditioning system, electronically controlled automatic transmission system, car audio system, tail lights, license plate lights, parking lights, instrument panel light control, side marker lights.

Another step would be to make sure most of these listed systems are turned off, the ones that have a switch, later you will need to unplug some things. Then try another fuse....

Do you have a meter for doing voltage and ohm test?
Is your car manual or automatic?

When did this problem start and was any work done to the car about that time?

This is a solid failure, so it should be easy to find.

Attachments

Reactions: Hjuilste

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trailer wiring is a good place to start since Toyota cheeped out in this area. My Rav4 came with a factory installed hitch but no trailer wiring, that had to be added later. This poor planning has led to many having a home-made solution.

The attached specifications file list the fuses and I think #23 is the one melting and this is what it powers:
#23. TAIL 15 Amp:
Gauges and meters, emergency flashers, cigarette lighter, center differential lock system, clock, rear window defogger, air conditioning system, electronically controlled automatic transmission system, car audio system, tail lights, license plate lights, parking lights, instrument panel light control, side marker lights.

Another step would be to make sure most of these listed systems are turned off, the ones that have a switch, later you will need to unplug some things. Then try another fuse....

Do you have a meter for doing voltage and ohm test?
Is your car manual or automatic?

When did this problem start and was any work done to the car about that time?

This is a solid failure, so it should be easy to find.
No trailer wiring of any kind on this vehicle. 2wd Automatic. The problem started 4 or 5 days ago, around the time that I got a tire leak repaired. I don't think the shop did anything other than remove the tire, patch it, and reinstall it. Oddly enough, when I had my radio disconnected, the fuse blew before I even turned on the vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I just solved the problem! A few weeks ago, the bulb and wires of my left side marker light fell out from inside the bumper and landed on top of my exhaust pipe. At the time I thought nothing of it because the bulb had been out for a while and the side marker lights aren't that big of a deal to me. However over the course of a few weeks, heat from my exhaust pipe melted the insulation from the wires, exposing the raw wires to the metal of the pipe, and causing a short. I just snipped the wires and put in a new fuse. Turned the car on and everything is working as it should. I'll come back if it blows again and we can start from square 1.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think I just solved the problem! A few weeks ago, the bulb and wires of my left side marker light fell out from inside the bumper and landed on top of my exhaust pipe. At the time I thought nothing of it because the bulb had been out for a while and the side marker lights aren't that big of a deal to me. However over the course of a few weeks, heat from my exhaust pipe melted the insulation from the wires, exposing the raw wires to the metal of the pipe, and causing a short. I just snipped the wires and put in a new fuse. Turned the car on and everything is working as it should. I'll come back if it blows again and we can start from square 1.
Glad it is working!

I would fix the maker lights, they are an important part of defensive driving. They make it easier for your little Rav4 to be seen! More important than daytime headlights even.

Reactions: Hjuilste

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
And if AZ has a safety inspection it will fail w/o all lights working. (CT doesn't but you could still get stopped for a light being out.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts