Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm fitting towbar wiring to my 1998 RAV4. Does anybody know the wire colours for the tail light and the brake light at the actual light?

I have green and green/white and need to know which is tail and which is brake

Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
On my 99, green for the tail-light, green-blue on for the left turn and green-yellow for the right turn signal, and green-white for the brake.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I would recommend a pre-made wiring harness that you simply plug in such as this https://www.etrailer.com/t1-1998_Toyota_RAV4.htm.

I believe you need that box you see in the diagram for the lights to work properly.

The wiring is as follows for my 99 (I just went out and checked):

Left side (as seen from rear) pull the rear side panel for access. You will be looking for a white connector that is pegged to the body behind the tail lights.

Harness......Vehicle
White.........Ground.............I grounded to the vehicle body
Brown.........Green..............Tail Lights
Yellow.........Green/Yellow....Left Turn & Brake Lights
Red.............Green/White....Backup Lights (yours may or may not have a red wire)

Right side (as seen from rear) pull the rear side panel for access. You will be looking for a white connector that is pegged to the body behind the tail lights.
Harness......Vehicle
Green.........Green/Yellow....Right Turn & Brake Lights

I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
My post above was the color codes at the connectors I mentioned, not at the lamp sockets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts