• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of removing the amber from my tail lights like Derek. :D

Then other ideas came to mind. :idea:

I photoshoped them to see what they would look like.

Which looks best to you? :?:

(I know that with the all red I'll have to add a back up light.)

STOCK: WHITE, AMBER, RED

WHITE, RED, RED

RED, WHITE, RED

RED, RED, RED

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hansie said:
How did you take the amber color of the light?
From what I've read...

You have to take the light apart. Use some heat source to soften the glue.

This guy used a heat gun on his headlights:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14156

You can also try a hair dryer, bake it or use hot water.

Derek,

What method did you use?

What did you use to seal it back up?

Acording to Pancake's page, one can do the same with the front corners :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
No, those are the ones we sell on rav4oz, 416rav just took the picture of them together.

My brake lights still light up red, my blinkers still blink, and my reverse lights still light up, so I haven't gotten in trouble. I also have white lights in my corners, the only colored bulb is my brake lights. When I got rear ended I had my emergency lights on and the cop didn't say anything, and watched us leave.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sig, I used the oven bake method. You need to be careful with the heat gun. Those things are so hot that you can melt the plastic if left in one spot for too long. Same with the hot water method depending upon how hot the water is.

The oven method provides a steady heat source that will soften up the glue evenly that holds the two pieces together. If I remember correctly, preheat the oven to about 325 degrees. Lay the taillamp assembly onto a damp cloth on a baking sheet. Probably a good 5 minutes or so will soften the glue. Just begin prying the two halves apart. If there is too much resistance, put it in the oven longer. Eventually the glue will soften where you can begin prying the two halves apart with a flat blade screwdriver. Be careful that you do not pry too hard or you will mar or crack the surface of the taillamp. Using some gloves will be highly recommended because you will be grabbing the hot light assembly alot.

To seal it back up, I used a healthy dose of silicone sealant (clear) between the two pieces and also around the outer edge when the two pieces are joined back together. I had moisture issues a couple of times, but sealed the outer edges again and had no problems since.

If I remember correctly, the '98 - '00 front turn signals with amber cannot be removed. The amber part is a fused into the clear outer lens and cannot be removed like the rear taillamp.

Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Derek said:
If I remember correctly, the '98 - '00 front turn signals with amber cannot be removed. The amber part is a fused into the clear outer lens and cannot be removed like the rear taillamp.
:(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Derek said:
not? hmmm :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hansie, that picture is from a non-U.S. spec RAV4. Believe me, our U.S. spec 1998 - 2000 RAVs have the front turn signals with fused in amber. That is the reason that I had to source my clear front turn signals from Japan. If I am not mistaken, you could also get the front clears from Australia and Europe and probably other parts of the world too that does not have American vehicle codes requiring amber in the front turn signal. :?

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's true, it is a japanese model. I bought it direct from Japan.
This is were I bought it from www.mehran.co.jp . Now they have a rav4 for sale with a MD body kit and a type G engine if anybody is interested.
They also sell parts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks
I wasn't sure which one to choose or all white or the 2 top ones white and the bottom one red. I think this was the best choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts