Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Got two of my 18' OEM wheels on my 16 rav4 ltd curb scratched in the first month of ownership:crying. Local wheel repair shop says they can't match the hyper sliver color and a touch up would be $100/ea. I have to leave my car there for a week and their schedule is full until October.

While searching on eBay I found a seller selling OEM wheels for 200 ea plus shipping. They claim it's a take off original wheel and on their picture there are no damage could be seen.

I am kind of inclined to get the take off wheels but the price almost sounds like a steal as the repair shop told me new rims would be 600 ea. What's your opinion? Am I missing sth or it's a real deal?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Wonder what it would cost to simply change the wheel color and do all 4? Black maybe? Might be a cheaper option and you'll have something unique. Surprised it's $100 a wheel for touchup. I wouldn't expect that much for a full repaint per wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder what it would cost to simply change the wheel color and do all 4? Black maybe? Might be a cheaper option and you'll have something unique. Surprised it's $100 a wheel for touchup. I wouldn't expect that much for a full repaint per wheel.
They told me that the OE hyper sliver color can't be done in the US because the lead in that paint. They quote me 120 ea to refinish rim with black or 170 ea with hyper sliver (close to OE but not exactly same). That would take even longer.

They also told me they would price my scratched wheels 150ea on craigslist. That would be a ~150 cost for a near prefect and instant repair. Sounds too goo to be true.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Damn, that's pricey. You could probably find some much nicer looking aftermarket rims for $120-170 a piece. I do like the look of our oem rims though. With my car being silver and silver rims, I'd kind of like them black.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, that's pricey. You could probably find some much nicer looking aftermarket rims for $120-170 a piece. I do like the look of our oem rims though. With my car being silver and silver rims, I'd kind of like them black.
My rav4 is black so I don't really want a black wheel... I am also told the aftermarket rims are not as mechanically superior as OEM ones, not sure if it's true.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
While searching on eBay I found a seller selling OEM wheels for 200 ea plus shipping. They claim it's a take off original wheel and on their picture there are no damage could be seen.

I am kind of inclined to get the take off wheels but the price almost sounds like a steal as the repair shop told me new rims would be 600 ea. What's your opinion? Am I missing sth or it's a real deal?
While you're hemming and hawing about it some savvy shopper is going to snatch up those rims from Ebay and get a great deal! This has happened to me more than once.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While you're hemming and hawing about it some savvy shopper is going to snatch up those rims from Ebay and get a great deal! This has happened to me more than once.

Got the seller produced a invoice for me and will place the order. But are OEM rims really so expensive? The aftermarket ones I saw are usually less than 200 ea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts