Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Anyone try to remove their exhaust to change to a completely new cat back system? Just wondering on the ease or difficulty of such a thing. Is it worth doing myself or is it cheap enough to warrant just going to a reputable muffler shop? Just bought a new exhaust which I'm expecting to arrive by Wed or Thur next week. Hopefully, it'll give a little more kick in the higher rpm's for passing on the highways.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Is the system you ordered custom made to fit the Rav4?

The stock exhaust disassembles easily, since it is bolted together in sections and is mounted on hangers with rubber bushings. You will probably need a can of WD40 or PB Blaster to loosen the bolts, and a set of work gloves so you don't bust your knuckles.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, got the exhaust installed last Friday right when I got home from work. COuldn't wait till the next day. As I thought, there were clearance issues with the tailpipe and my rear step bar. But after moving the step bar to the other side of its brackets and welding a support bracket near the tailpipe, the shop managed to get it on right although with just barely enough clearance. Definitely, sounds better with a little bit more hp and torque at the high end. Low rpm range doesn't seem to have suffered even with the addition of a K&N filter. The Tanabe has a deep low rumbling sound, but I could see cops just wanting to bust me with that kinda noise level so I installed the baffle silencer. Now, it just sounds a bit more louder than stock but it definitely doesn't have the whiney asphyxiated sound it made when revving high.

·
Registered
225 Posts
sweeet, is it also possible that you could post some pics showing the underside?
i'm also planning on getting an exhaust upgrade but the Tanabe system is expensive, how much did you have to pay for yours?
i'm thinking of doing a custom job. just need to find a good muffler and a reputable shop.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I actually took some of those. I felt like a fool outside taking pictures of my car with neighbors watching and wondering what the heck I was doing. Couldn't really see what I was taking underside cause I didn't want to go to the ground to check the lcd screen so I took them blindly. And guess what, I missed on all my shots. :x I'll try again later when there aren't so many people outside staring so I can actually lie down on the ground to take proper pics. Yeah, the Tanabe is pretty expensive expecially when it was new(like $600 or so from what I've heard). But the Rav4 Tanabe's been discontinued so you could probably find someone selling them out for clearance. It's still expensive but alot cheaper than before. I got mine for $450 shipped. If you live in the LA area you can pick it up for $395 out the door. Another thing you could try is just buy the Tanabe tuner Medallion muffler. It's their universal muffler so you can have your own muffler shop fit it up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
thanks for the suggestion, but i'll probably go for an HKS or 5Zigen universal. might do it this summer. :D

W

·
0 Posts
Looks good. Where can I get that Tanabe cat back exhaust? Do you have the part no.? I can even find it on their website.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the link to Wholesale Hyperformace page for the Rav4 tanabe exhaust.

http://www.wholehyper.com/WebPage.jsp?_Data_Id_=index

You might want to give them an email or call and see if they still have it in stock and if it's still on a sale price. Don't let the price on that page scare you. They probably still want to get rid of any overstock on those since they were slow sellers.

M

·
0 Posts
Uhm hi... nice spare tire cover you have there... where did you get it? and for how much? thanks!

Slayer said:
Well, got the exhaust installed last Friday right when I got home from work. COuldn't wait till the next day. As I thought, there were clearance issues with the tailpipe and my rear step bar. But after moving the step bar to the other side of its brackets and welding a support bracket near the tailpipe, the shop managed to get it on right although with just barely enough clearance. Definitely, sounds better with a little bit more hp and torque at the high end. Low rpm range doesn't seem to have suffered even with the addition of a K&N filter. The Tanabe has a deep low rumbling sound, but I could see cops just wanting to bust me with that kinda noise level so I installed the baffle silencer. Now, it just sounds a bit more louder than stock but it definitely doesn't have the whiney asphyxiated sound it made when revving high.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts