Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I filled up for the 1st time. I have the Sport V6.

The manual inidcates the tank size is 15.9 gal or 60 Litre tank.

I almost had an empty tank to see how far I could drive with all city driving. I got just over 400 kms on 1 tank, all city driving.

When I filled up from almost empty, I was able to put in 51.1 Litres of gas. This is about the same as my 2001 Honda CRV which was rated at 52 litres. I was probably able to put in about 49 litres from empt on the CRV.

So on my 1st tank, I probably did about as well or better than my 4 cylinder CRV.

I will continue to monitor. I was told that gas mileage will actually inprove as the vehicle breaks in.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just traded in our 2000 CRV for a RAV4 V6. The CRV, which was underpowered got poor gas mileage as far as I was concerned when we went on trips to the mountains that consisted of highway and no stoplight mountain driving. It just couldn't handle the load of gear and the mountains.

While in day to day city driving I'm not expecting the same mileage as the CRV 4, on trips I know the RAV will produce equal or better mileage. My 2001 Grand Prix got better mileage than the CRV in driving that was anything but city pit stop driving.

With the road noise of the CRV combined with the engine revving that sounded like it wanted to jump out of the hood the CRV was an ideal puddle jumper and snow jumper but beyond that not much comfort. Don't get me wrong, loved the CRV for utility and quality, just needed more power and quiet.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to agree with you on most points. The road noise was terrbile on the CRV & the engine was too noisy. I think the problem with the older CRV's was the engine was too small for the truck size. The 06 CRV is more powerful & smooth compared to my 01.

I do however seem to be getting equal or better gas milege on the V6 Sport for city driving than my previous 01 CRV as the tank size is almost the same.

I don't know why Toyota listed the tank size as 60 litres as I filled up from almost empty and was able to put in 51.01 litres of gas.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
60 L is the size of the tank, but fuel gauges tend to be designed to be pessimistic so as to encourage you to fill up before you run out of gas. I've run my Subaru down to the point where the needle was below the bottom white line and could only squeeze 55.5 L into a 60 L tank. The low fuel light comes on when there are 9 L left (at the 51 L mark).

BTW, your 2001 CR-V had a 58 L tank, not 52 L.

Just over 400 km on 51 L is around 12.5 L/100 km or 19 mpg. This is about the same as what my 2000 RAV4 gets around town in the winter (it improves a fair bit in the summer). So not bad for the bigger, heavier 2006 model with much bigger engine.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
19mpg isn't too bad for city driving with the V6. I was expecting worse.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pretty happy with the gas mileage on the 1st tank. I don't know if gas mileage will actually improve as some people state, but I can't see it getting worse. My 1st tank was all city driving.
When I filled up, the needle was just below the E on the gauge. When full, the gauge goes past the F.

With respect to my 01 CRV. I am pretty sure the manual inidcated 52 litre tank size.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It was 58 - same as my 2000 RAV4. 15.3 US gallons. You can look it up on the web in used car specs. Could be the manual said 52 L plus a 6 L reserve.

You'll probably find that fuel economy improves - usually does as the engine breaks in. Also, warmer weather and the end of winter-formulated gas at the pumps will also give you a boost there.

I'm considering a RAV4 V6 later on this year, so I'll be watching to see what fuel economy you V6 owners post this summer...

·
Registered
32 Posts
bmorton said:
Just over 400 km on 51 L is around 12.5 L/100 km or 19 mpg. This is about the same as what my 2000 RAV4 gets around town in the winter (it improves a fair bit in the summer). So not bad for the bigger, heavier 2006 model with much bigger engine.
Just to put this into Perspective, 12.5 L/100 km is what my current ford Explorer V8 gets on the highway in the summer. (This was achieved on a 2500 km highway trip from Toronto area to the east coast and back again. I would have to say that 12.5 L/100 km is pretty good for winter driving in the city.

With a mix of city and highway, my Explorer is only getting 16.5 L/100 KM. I am really looking forward to spending a lot less on gas with the new Rav4 V6.

Jay

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
back2life,

Where in Canada are you? Keep us up to date on your next tank.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Toronto.

I just filled up again tonight at exactly 400kms.
I put in 50.31 litres. My 1st fill up was 51.1litres.
On my last tank I did do some highway driving....approx 60-70kms.
My 1st tank was all city driving & I went a little over 400kms on it.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi, new to the forum...but have been following the discussion for a couple of weeks now...i've been seriously looking at the new v6 sport model - thinking flint mica...if i can find one...
but a little concerned about the range of the '06 rav4: city driving, 60 litre tank, 400 kms? mmm...that kind of range is a little less than what i was hoping for.
i'm currently driving an '05 v6 accord, 65 litre tank - and half a tank will easily take me over 300 kms...mostly rural driving though...
is the 400 km city range for a tank pretty typical? any ideas what kind of range the rav4 might get in rural driving? :?:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have filled up twice & only been able to fill up to 51 litres max.
I have been told that gas mileage should improve as the Rav breaks in.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kewl...
based upon these two threads then...
it looks like real world tank ranges from 400 km (mostly city) to 667 km (mostly rural/highway) - definitely workable! and i'm guessing that they'll only get better as the vehicles break-in...
thanks for the assistance!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts