Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my engine replaced (under warranty), and instead of rebuilding my one, the dealer put in a low mileage used engine.

It feels like its got a lot more power than the previous one, and is much smoother.

One thing though, above 2500 or 3000 RPM , you can hear (very mildy) what sounds like tappet noise (similar to lifter noise in older engines). You cant really hear it when the hood is open over all the other noise, but is noticeable when driving

Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
542 Posts
have them measure the valve shim clearances & have them changed out if out-of-spec.

mines the same. had them measured about 20,000kms ago & the gaps were just at the limit!! i'll have them changed out if i ever get both time & budget in sync...

·
Registered
542 Posts
no idea how much it would cost to tell you the truth!! it's never been mentioned on the forum (as far as i can remember)!! stelly has two hi-milage ravs, maybe he's re-shimmed the valves before.

i don't plan to do mine for a while yet!

K

·
0 Posts
Replacing the valves are really expensive to my knowledge. How come a low mileage engine needs new valves?

The valves themselves are expensive and you need to replace the valve stem seals once you remove the valves. The Head gasket as well. More labour intensive too.

But if it's something simple like the knockers, it should be a straight forward job. IIRC the 3s-fe head cover can be remove just like that with a few 10mm sockets. See what's going on under there first rather than saying the valves have problem. You might have a sludge build up instead. a few good flush with cheap oil will do the job.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt its the valves themsleves, but rather the shims.....

Although you have a point, on such a low mileage motor even that would seem a bit odd

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Kidong,

kidong said:
... the 3s-fe head cover can be remove just like that with a few 10mm sockets. See what's going on under there first rather than saying the valves have problem. You might have a sludge build up instead. a few good flush with cheap oil will do the job.
I am suffering what I think is similar noise and was wondering about doing just that - opening it up and seeing whats going on. What gaskets will need replacing to be able to put everything back together again?

Regards,

- Paul

·
Registered
302 Posts
Our valves are the shim under bucket type .
The camshaft has to be removed to expose the buckets .
The shims are underneath them .

It's a labour intensive job . ( $$) :cry: compared to the shim on top of the bucket .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts