Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this was posted before, sorry! I didn't find anything in the search.

When i bought my 09' Prius, i got a $4k tax refund for buying a used Hybrid. It stated if i would have bought a brand new hybrid, i would have gotten $8k back. This was still around this past year when i filed taxes...now i see nothing for any kind of credit for my Rav4 Hybrid. It appears i can only find credits for plug in cars.

Is there a tax credit anyone knows of going into 2017, that i will be able to get on my Rav4 Hybrid? I was looking forward to the $8k back. (As i didn't get a base model...and extra's added up quickly) lol

I live in Pennsylvania, if that makes any difference.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
And I read that when you buy a *used* electric vehicle (RAV4 EV), you get NO tax credits whatsoever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've never bought an EV before so I'm trying to understand how the whole the tax credit thing works...

Say in a year my annual Federal Income Tax Withholding amount was $10,000 (according to my W2) and at the end of the year I did my taxes and still owed $5,000 in Federal Taxes.

If I were to buy an eligible EV vehicle like the RAV4 Prime (in that same tax year), would I be eligible for the full $7,500 credit because the amount I withheld was greater than $7,500?
Or would I only be eligible for $5,000 b/c that's what I still owed?

·
Registered
2017 Prius Prime 2018 R4 Hybrid SE
55 Posts
I've never bought an EV before so I'm trying to understand how the whole the tax credit thing works...

Say in a year my annual Federal Income Tax Withholding amount was $10,000 (according to my W2) and at the end of the year I did my taxes and still owed $5,000 in Federal Taxes.

If I were to buy an eligible EV vehicle like the RAV4 Prime (in that same tax year), would I be eligible for the full $7,500 credit because the amount I withheld was greater than $7,500?
Or would I only be eligible for $5,000 b/c that's what I still owed?
If you were to buy a vehicle that was eligible for a $7500 tax credit and you paid $10,000 of a $15,000 tax bill, you would have a $2500 tax refund.

If your total taxes paid for the year were only $5000, then you would get a $5000 refund. The remaining $2500 would be a credit for the following year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWIW - From what the Form 8936 instructions say, there is no carry over. It's good for the purchase year, on new vehicles, only.

Line 23
If you cannot use part of the personal portion of the credit because of the tax liability limit, the unused credit is lost. The unused personal portion of the credit cannot be carried back or forward to other tax years.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Buy it.
Take part of the credit this year, and take the rest next year.
Let us know what happens. (If they let you use a computer for outside email.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts