Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

TC002-06 Harsh Shift or M.I.L. on P0750, P0755, P0758, AND/OR P1760 / 06-22-10

17269 Views 43 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Candizzle
TSB Number: T-SB-0156-10
Letter of explanation from Toyota :arrow: http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2001/T-CP-ZTL-0001-W.pdf
Warranty enhancement policy for this TSB :arrow: http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2001/T-WB-POL10-03-W.pdf
Bulletin Title: HARSH SHIFT AND/OR M.I.L. ON" DTC P0750, P0755, P0758, AND/OR P1760
Release Date: March 3, 2006 - REVISED June 22, 2010
Applicable Year(s): 2001 – 2003 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with automatic transmission.
File Size: 137kb PDF
Download: http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2001/T-SB-0156-10.pdf

Description: Some 2001 – 2003 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle may exhibit a harsh shift condition and/or MIL “ON” with DTC P0750, P0753, P0755, P0758, and/or P1760 stored. Improvements have been made to the Engine Control Module (ECM) (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) manufacturing process to reduce the possibility of this condition occurring.

R4W Comments: Further forum discussion here :arrow: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15515
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Re: Rebuilders - ECU

kps said:
Does anybody have a recommended re-builder for the ECU on the RAV4.
I used Sergei/ "Check Engine, Etc" through Ebay. It cost only $250 plus postage. I also paid my mechanic $80 to remove and then replace the ECM. It fixed my problem. Sergei was quick to respond to all of my questions. It was a great experience.

I don't know how to search my posting history but I wrote about it a couple of months ago.

· Registered
4 Posts
Ok, we thought we had this problem with our 2001 Rav4L but we just got it tested and it had no P-codes at all. Did that happen to anyone else? Could it be an intermittent problem that'll come back? The car is running fine right now.

· Registered
3 Posts
My 2002 Rav4 2WD - 108,000 just developed this problem - I was driving home from work and decided to take the side streets instead of dealing with bumper to bumper traffic - that was a good call on my part because while driving down the street the Rav4 decided it wasnt going into gear anymore - then I imagined what could have happened on the freeway - OMFG - I could have been killed - thanks to this website I was able to contact my dealership and will be bringing it in tomorrow armed with the documents provided here - Im sure I will have no problem because my Rav4 fits in the VIN catagory - Im pushing for the new tranny as well

· Registered
5 Posts
Be advised that just because your VIN fits into the ranges given, it does not necessarily mean that your RAV4 is covered by this TSB. I found this out when I determined that my VIN was within one of the ranges given, but when I called the local Toyota dealer to schedule the repair, I was told that my specific VIN was not covered. Read the fine print at the bottom the page where the VIN ranges are given to understand why I was told this.

· Registered
1,987 Posts
rogercpa1 said:
Be advised that just because your VIN fits into the ranges given, it does not necessarily mean that your RAV4 is covered by this TSB. I found this out when I determined that my VIN was within one of the ranges given, but when I called the local Toyota dealer to schedule the repair, I was told that my specific VIN was not covered. Read the fine print at the bottom the page where the VIN ranges are given to understand why I was told this.
So basically, the ones who haven't experienced any problems, and whose vehicles have the affected VIN numbers and are within the mile range, are screwed until something happens? Mine has only about 67K miles on it, and right now I can't afford to have my ECM repaired by anyone. Ugh :roll:. And to think that I stayed up reading about 25+ pages of this until my eyes hurt for nothing :doh: :cry:... That's it! :x I'm off to bed! :zzzz:

· Registered
5 Posts
That's about right - just be very on guard for ANY change in your transmission's performance - at the first sign of trouble, STOP, have the vehicle towed to your nearest Toyota dealer, and have a copy of the TSB in hand when you meet with the service manager to discuss the problem.

· Registered
11 Posts
Re: TC002-06 Harsh Shift or M.I.L. on P0750, P0755, P0758, AND/OR P1760 / 06-22-10

RAVMAN said:
TSB Number: T-SB-0156-10
Letter of explanation from Toyota :arrow: http://www.RAV4World.com/tsb/2001/T-CP-ZTL-0001-W.pdf
Warranty enhancement policy for this TSB :arrow: http://www.RAV4World.com/tsb/2001/T-WB-POL10-03-W.pdf
Bulletin Title: HARSH SHIFT AND/OR M.I.L. ON" DTC P0750, P0755, P0758, AND/OR P1760
Release Date: March 3, 2006 - REVISED June 22, 2010
Applicable Year(s): 2001 – 2003 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with automatic transmission.
File Size: 137kb PDF
Download: http://www.RAV4World.com/tsb/2001/T-SB-0156-10.pdf

Description: Some 2001 – 2003 model year RAV4 vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle may exhibit a harsh shift condition and/or MIL “ON” with DTC P0750, P0753, P0755, P0758, and/or P1760 stored. Improvements have been made to the Engine Control Module (ECM) (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) manufacturing process to reduce the possibility of this condition occurring.

R4W Comments: Further forum discussion here :arrow: http://RAV4World.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15515
I'm in Canada. I need these papers from Toyota Canada to talk to my Toyota dealer

Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
has 70k miles on car. all of a sudden, from a starting stop the car was underpower. rev was running up and down. turns out ECM problem. dealer replaced the ECM no charge. only annoyance was
had to leave the car at dealership ( no part on hand ). Can ruin tranny while driving with faulty ECM.

· Registered
2 Posts
Any one have these papers for Canada? Have had the ECU replaced under 'emissions' but we all know its more than that. My rav4 has never been the same even with he ecu replacement. Hoping to find papers which can perhaps get me a new transmission. Does anyone know who I can contact outside of going to the dealer? (eg phoning a toyota complaints department)? I hate paying $100/hr when I know what the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated

· Registered
1 Posts
we picked up an 02 Rav4 L 4wd on Tuesday from a local dealership who got it as a trade in and the car showed the P0750 code on Thursday. Took it to the dealership, they confirmed hard shift and replaced the ECU. Since this was a trade, not sure how long it's been an issue.

Would it be intermittent or does it just happen all of a sudden?

Car has 63,500 miles on it. I'm guessing we still have about 13 months on the 10yr 150k miles to see if it really was the ECU.

· Registered
14 Posts
I had a reflash from the dealer about 2 years ago. Recently I disconnected the battery to recharge it. I know when you remove a battery it resets some of the ECU parameters. Will I need to have the reflash done once again by the dealer do to battery removal?

· Registered
9 Posts
I had this problem since monday. Today I printed out POL10-03 (didn't want to confuse them buy bring a few different TSB) before I left work but I had my wife bring the car in. Wow, the try to say this and that and made excuses saying that the ECM was reprogram in 2006 and the problem was fix. I work a little on cars but I know it's not normal. After 1 1/2 drive home I bring the POL in and ask the guy. It made him feel very stupid. He try to say the VIN didn't match. Made excuse that I had to pay the diagnose fees. I will see what will happen. Hopefully it gets fix. Will update tomorrow.

· Registered
807 Posts
I have the harsh shift only when the car is cold, but this eventually goes away once warm. Is this everyone else's symptoms?

· Registered
807 Posts
Well I'm relieved. I registered the vehicle on Toyota Owners and I see my vehicle had the ECM replaced by the dealer 1 month prior to me purchasing it. Vehicle had 58k miles when replaced so I'm happy about that being taken care of early. I'm just hoping my cold start symptoms aren't because of residual damage...any opinions? Will remote starting my car warm up the auto trans?

· Registered
2004 Rav4 L 4wd, 2005 Galactic gray 4runner V6 4wd
422 Posts
am about buying a 2001 rav4 ecm from ebay uk, am wondering if it will fit in my US 2003 rav4.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 01 with 95,000 miles. just took the car to the dealer a couple days ago and they said they cannot do the repairs under the extended warranty because the 10 year mark was this past July 2011. was wondering how they determined that.

the Warranty Policy Bulletin POL10-03 states "This warranty enhancement is being offered for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the vehicle’s date-of-first-use for a MIL (check engine light) “ON” condition with diagnostic codes P0750, P0753, P0755, P0758, and /or P1760 stored and/or a harsh shift of the automatic transaxle. "

what does "vehicle’s date-of-first-use for a MIL (check engine light) “ON” " mean? and does anyone think I still fall under this warranty policy with about 10 days left in the year?

thanks

· Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,518 Posts
what does "vehicle’s date-of-first-use for a MIL (check engine light) “ON” " mean? and does anyone think I still fall under this warranty policy with about 10 days left in the year?

thanks
Date of first use means the day the original owner bought the car, got the keys from the dealer and drove off the lot. Your warranty would expire 10 years from that day, not the end of the year.

· Registered
24 Posts
I call Toyota International I told them I got my car on july 2002, they told me my car warranty will be end at the end of 2013 not from Invoice or date. If i buy at 2003 they will flow the Invoice for warranty.

· Registered
1 Posts
My mother's 2001 Rav4 with only 81K miles has this issue now. I've taken this to the dealer and they refused the 150K / 10 year extended warranty repair. Is there anything else I can do? My parents are old and do not know anything about cars. They had taken this car to the dealership for service (they spent around 3k back in 2013 for a bunch of repairs) and this service bulletin was never mentioned. I have lost all trust in Toyota and I believe this will be the last one for our family. Any help would be much appreciated.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.