Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks.

We have a 2005 RAV4 bought new in Atlanta, GA. It's a Southeast Toyota Distributors import which has the "TDS" security system on it.

It is supposed to turn on the headlamps for about 30 seconds when we arm and disarm the system, and it is supposed to illuminate the headlamps when we press the little green button on the boomerang-shaped remote.

It used to do this, but about a week ago it just quit... no headlamps when armed or disarmed, and no headlamps when the green button is pressed.

Does anyone here know anything about this system? Like, where it's mounted, how it's wired, and so-on?

Thank you for your help. It is always greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have the same TDS system that was installed at the dealer upon my purchase. I haven't experienced a problem like you describe. But I have had an annoying problem with the system making 5 rapid and loud horn beeps within 20 seconds of arming the system via the key fob. No one touches it. Has been doing this about 50% of the time. :roll:

Sometimes it does it, sometime sit doesn't. It is embarrassing to hear that racket as I walk away from the vehicle after I park and secure it. It seems to do it more frequently and I am wondering if it is going to crap out on me someday soon. One day I may get a dead system like you are experiencing.

I don't know much about the TDS mechanics and location of components, since I never owned the vehicle w/o the TDS. All the wiring and such looks oem-ish.

I guess it goes without saying, but have you check the battery or if your boomerang thingy is dead?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The system arms and disarms properly. It's just that the headlamps no longer light up when arming and disarming.

I guess I should just take it to the dealer and let them take a look at it, since it's under warranty.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Sorry, I haven't a clue as to how to advise you on that problem, especially if everything else works properly. Perhaps the dealer service rep might help.

Recently, I received some advice from a Toyota dealer service rep regarding my problem. He told me to unplug one wire to the shock sensor box. :roll:

The box is located under the dash on the driver's side. He stated that this motion sensing component is far too sensitive and they have had numerous complaints similar to mine. Unplugging this one wire apparently disables the motion sensing aspect of the alarm, but retains the overall security system.

When I found this little black box, I noticed that it had a sensitivity setting on it, but adjusting it to be less sensitive made no difference. Maybe the dealer rep was correct?

Have you had noticed this problem?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, mine was super-duper sensitive, too. But, I was able to adjust it out using the adjustment you tried.

The TDS alarm system is pretty quirky. I'm starting to wish he hadn't gotten it and had a different aftermarket system installed by Best Buy or Circuit City or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts