Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Toyota RAV4 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2012 RAV4 and just installed a trailer hitch. I bought the Tekonsha 118412 wiring harness. The instructions say to run the main power wire to the battery under the car, but I am in apartment complex setting and would prefer to not have to jack the car up.

is it OK to run the power inside the cabin? Where would you run the cable into the engine compartment?

·
Registered
380 Posts
It is better to run the cable through the engine wall then under the panels to the cargo area but it is simpler to run the cable under the car. If you have 12V outlet or cargo light, you may just connect to it. Make sure the fuse is 7.5 - 10 A.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I connect the wire to the power outlet in the back.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Wiring will be safer from damage from road debris, gravel, etc. by running it inside the vehicle. Mine was Toyota dealer installed as part of the deal when I bought the RAV4 new, Toyota wiring harness, inside vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
9,980 Posts
As mentioned it's much better for several reasons to run any trailer wiring inside a vehicle. The main reason eTrailer and the kit manufacturers go with the underneath route is it's quick & dirty and the instructions are simple and pretty much the same for any vehicle. No specifics are needed as in Quickdtoo's link.

It also depends on what your application for the hitch is. If only for trailer lights then there's no need to run a wire forward at all. Use the 12V outlet in the left rear as mentioned by myang001 and DL175 to power the taillight converter. That's how I did mine.

If you're towing a camper trailer you'll need to run two wires forward, one for live 12V power and one for electric brakes. IMO it's worth the extra effort to run them inside.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was able to wire lights only harness to that cig lighter in the back left corner. This does not include powered brakes, just lights.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I was able to wire lights only harness to that cig lighter in the back left corner. This does not include powered brakes, just lights.
This discussion was for wiring just trailer lights. Wiring the brakes is totally different and need a brake controller.

·
Super Moderator
9,980 Posts
This discussion was for wiring just trailer lights. Wiring the brakes is totally different and need a brake controller.
The initial post didn't specifically say that so I mentioned both options.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota RAV4 2.5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The initial post didn't specifically say that so I mentioned both options.
Thanks everyone, yes my first post was vague, but I have an I4 so at most I'd pull some small Home Depot rented trailer needing brake or turn signal lights only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts