Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right section - if not please move.

I have lurked around this forum for little over a year now, but it wasn't until I totaled my 2007 Toyota Prius and purchased a 2009 V6 4WD Sport SAP that I actually became an active member.

Just wanted to start a build thread for my Rav4 like I did my last two Prius. Neither of them remained stock for long and I doubt that the Rav4 will either.

My 2008 Prius touring started like this:

Ended like this:

Actually more like this:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 2008 started like this:

Built up to this:

Started a turbo kit

Then this happened...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So.. I thought two totaled Prii..time to move on.

Been following several 2GRFE MR2 swaps and knew I couldn't do a coupe little sports car - so I started looking at Toyotas quickest little SUV. Didn't even know that they made one without the spare tire - found the SAP and looked all over and only found them in the Northeast. Worried about the rust, I found one in Missouri that had been brought down from NY and I snagged it.

Didn't stay stock for long...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, had to do something with the taillights. Got them tinted. Hadn't even got my actual plates on yet.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then started on all that ugly chrome... Anthracite PlastiDip does wonders.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started in other things..Swapped out the head unit and started on other electronics.

Double-Din Pioneer DVD player

Added a front camera

Rear camera

Started on the speakers

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't like how dark the tails were - concerned that they were so dark that my brake lights wouldn't show well enough. And the backup lights weren't adequate. So I added smoked LED rear bumper lights and a 10" single row LED flood bar.

Right is still the oem red reflector, Left is the new smoked LED that will tie into the taillights and brake lights.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up some RAV4 Sport floor mats... some reason mine didn't have any.

·
Super Moderator
11,043 Posts
You do know that tinting the tail lights is illegal in TX right?

Reactions: adarko19

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Started on the intake - found a cheap eBay short ram intake for the V6 Camry.

Kept throwing CEL - MAF voltage out of range. But it drove fine - so cleared codes... kept driving.

Drove around for awhile before I figured out that the underhood temps were skyrocketing. So I spent some time this weekend fixing my eBay SRI and making it a functional CAI. Took advantage of those who have done before and Myxalplyx's CAI parts list.

1. Started off with the following parts:

*eBay SRI ($57.99)
*3"-3.5" 45° 4ply silicon transition ($8.44)
*12" of 3.5 aluminum tubing ($15.81)
*3.5" to 4" 4ply silicon straight transition ($9.08)
*4" 180° aluminum tubing (90° is all that is necessary)($30.67)
*4" 4ply silicon coupler ($7.09)
*4" to 6" velocity stack ($14.99)
*K&N RU-3100 6" cotton cone filter ($48.99)
*(3) 1/2" hose clamps from HD for 3"-4" pipe ($4.35)
*(3) 1/2" hose clamps from HD for 3"-5" pipe ($5.55)
*(2) rolls of reflective intake insulation wrap ($19.99)

2. Removed the bumper

3. Took out the OEM intake snorkel after removing the (3) 10mm bolts holding it in.

These little guys in the intake resonator - gross!!

4. Cut a 2" 4 ply silicon coupler lengthwise, trimmed the edges and epoxied it into the eBay SRI to reduce MAF housing size.

5. Started fitting the intake pieces all together.

6. Found that the 12in 3.5" tubing was about 1" too long and trimmed it down using a chop saw and a deburring tool to clean the piping edges.

7. Then realized that I didn't need the full 180° bend 4" tubing and chopped it down to about an 80° bend.

8. This is what I ended up using.

9. After all mocked up, I used standard hose clamps from HD and secured all the transitions.

10. Then to help with the engine temps effecting intake temps, I wrapped the intake in reflective intake insulation.

Even wrapped the MAF sensor...

For $226, its definitely not pretty, but its functional! Haven't tested it out in high heat temps, but I'm positive I won't see the 177°F intake temps I WAS seeing with the eBay SRI.

Next, I plan on doing the coolant bypass as I won't be needing that in Texas. I did the same on my old Prius and it made a notable difference. Even when I lived in Canada, I never saw any issues when the temps dropped below freezing and having the bypass.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worked a bit more on the stereo. Ran zip-tied wires to the back.

Started in on the dual 10" Pioneer shallow sub box and dual Polk Audio amps.

Still need to figure out how to keep the amps cool and covered. Looking for a push-pull fan setup.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did this little rear wipe mod on my Prius - worked well on the Rav4. Shave down the little tab on the plastic wiper cap and it allows you to pull the wiper away from the window. Makes it easier to clean.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I really appreciate your comprehensive documentation and excellent photos. Let us know how the intake filter works. I have only modest success with them on my sports car. (I use one over each of the four carbs.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry about your two previous 'yotas :frown . Thank you for filling us in on your build progress! Really like the mods so far. How does that stereo sound compared to stock?? My girlfriend is looking to purchase a RAV4 so I'm going to show her this thread to show what potential mods she can plan!

1 - 20 of 147 Posts