Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fog light or led backup light?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
For the reflector replacement -Fogs (Ordered a few days ago) - Cant wait to install

I did not notice until you mentioned it that you had a led back up light installed.
Seeing how it works and getting information on installation would be fantastic.

Thanks for the reply Tek

Appreciate it,

John

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
For the reflector replacement -Fogs (Ordered a few days ago) - Cant wait to install

I did not notice until you mentioned it that you had a led back up light installed.
Seeing how it works and getting information on installation would be fantastic.

Thanks for the reply Tek

Appreciate it,

John
The oem bumper reflector comes out with one screw from the backside of the bumper. The led tail/brake lights were installed in probably less than 10min. The wiring took a minute, running a power wire from the battery back to a relay near the taillight, I tapped into the rear brake lights with a T-tap. Honestly didn't take too long and look pretty good for a cheap mod.

Anytime..

-Jeremy

·
Registered
4 Posts
The oem bumper reflector comes out with one screw from the backside of the bumper. The led tail/brake lights were installed in probably less than 10min. The wiring took a minute, running a power wire from the battery back to a relay near the taillight, I tapped into the rear brake lights with a T-tap. Honestly didn't take too long and look pretty good for a cheap mod.

Anytime..

-Jeremy

So the only thing i might need assistance with is getting that power wire from the front battery to the back. I believe there a few ways like having it go through the under body and having it go through the inside of the vehicle.

Which way do you recommend having the wire pushed through?

I honestly wish there was a wire i can split to connect to the existing wires that are connected to the tail light.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So the only thing i might need assistance with is getting that power wire from the front battery to the back. I believe there a few ways like having it go through the under body and having it go through the inside of the vehicle.

Which way do you recommend having the wire pushed through?

I honestly wish there was a wire i can split to connect to the existing wires that are connected to the tail light.
You may be able to since their LEDs but I ran an additional power wire to relay just to be safe thru the cabin. There are two rubber wire grommets in the firewall that i've used, one on driver side directly down behind the driver side strut tower. Second one is easier to access on passenger side behind strut tower but you have to cross the engine bay since battery is on driver side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
www.curtmfg.com/part/55113

You may be able to since their LEDs but I ran an additional power wire to relay just to be safe thru the cabin. There are two rubber wire grommets in the firewall that i've used, one on driver side directly down behind the driver side strut tower. Second one is easier to access on passenger side behind strut tower but you have to cross the engine bay since battery is on driver side.

I am reading velikims 's old post on when he first purchased these.

What are your thoughts on these

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Been pretty busy with life but finally able to breathe some new life into the lil Grocery Getter. Added some breathing holes to my bumper to hopefully aid airflow for my CAI and added a K&N dry charger filter wrap to keep out any splashed water. Need to TIG weld the tubing up but the couplers will have to do for now. Upgraded the stock 2GRFE V6 70mm throttle body to the Tundra 3URFE V8 76mm throttle body with the help of the URD Throttle Body Adapter designed for the 2016+ Tacoma with 3.5L V6. All this new airflow and a new 93 octane tune to utilize the new 3" intake should help make a bit more power. Will keep you all posted once I get back to the track.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Forgot my last run to the track back in January too. Got a chance to try out the Rav4 in cooler weather. 51°F. The lil Compact SUV surprised most running a 14.26 in the 1/4 mile @ 96.02 mph. Just got to get the auto transmission to shift quicker...its a bit old at 145,000 miles.

https://youtu.be/x6LOyr9r95w

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why in the world would you think that using 93 octane gas and larger throttle body would give you more power????? Are you forcing air into your engine? If you are only using ambient air then there is zero reason to resort to lower power, 93 octane.

Tom

·
Registered
491 Posts
Bigger throttle can improve performance by reducing lag time. Less restrictions
I still don't think so, unless you are forcing in more air under pressure, above atmospheric, your positive displacement engine will not get more combustion air. Lag time, I think, only refers to forced air systems like turbos. There is always air at the intake valve so there is no lag time. No matter how big the intake plenum, or smooth, the engine is designed to suck only so much air at ambient pressure.

And since you are not increasing intake combustion pressure using, lower power, 93 octane gas gains you nothing.

Of course I installed a hi-performance, cleanable air filter years ago, but I didn't expect it to give me more hp. 0:)

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
I still don't think so, unless you are forcing in more air under pressure, above atmospheric, your positive displacement engine will not get more combustion air. Lag time, I think, only refers to forced air systems like turbos. There is always air at the intake valve so there is no lag time. No matter how big the intake plenum, or smooth, the engine is designed to suck only so much air at ambient pressure.

And since you are not increasing intake combustion pressure using, lower power, 93 octane gas gains you nothing.

Of course I installed a hi-performance, cleanable air filter years ago, but I didn't expect it to give me more hp. 0:)

Tom
You might have missed that he has his ECU tuned. Which advances timing and changes variables to gain power with 93 octane. So the more air argument is debatable but the higher octane in this case is not.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Why in the world would you think that using 93 octane gas and larger throttle body would give you more power????? Are you forcing air into your engine? If you are only using ambient air then there is zero reason to resort to lower power, 93 octane.

Tom
In the MR2 world, people have been a bit more innovative with the 2grfe v6 than most. Always looking for a way to increase power, one did the same upgrade (urd adapter, tundra TB and modified ecu) and was able to see a 2-5whp increase across the rpm range using a dyno.

More than once you mention that 93octane is lower power? Where do you get that info? Typical Toyota uses 87 octane to rate their engines and Lexus uses premium 91/93. Almost always you will see that those same Lexus engines are rated at a higher hp than the Toyotas. Not to mention the fact that my ecu was tuned for 93 so my timing was able to be advanced more than it would have if I was running on 87...making more hp.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

·
Registered
491 Posts
In the MR2 world, people have been a bit more innovative with the 2grfe v6 than most. Always looking for a way to increase power, one did the same upgrade (urd adapter, tundra TB and modified ecu) and was able to see a 2-5whp increase across the rpm range using a dyno.

More than once you mention that 93octane is lower power? Where do you get that info? Typical Toyota uses 87 octane to rate their engines and Lexus uses premium 91/93. Almost always you will see that those same Lexus engines are rated at a higher hp than the Toyotas. Not to mention the fact that my ecu was tuned for 93 so my timing was able to be advanced more than it would have if I was running on 87...making more hp.

Higher octane only reduces the likelihood of engine knock or ping, it alone does not add horsepower. You need higher octane only for very high compression engines, or low compression engines with turbo chargers or superchargers. I'm sure you must know this. I read, a while ago, a scientific comparison of gasoline at different octane levels and 87 had a slightly higher power level when ignited compared to the higher octane gases that are loaded with anti-knock additives. It was only a little increase in power, but it was higher power.

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/octane-vs-horsepower-separating-fact-from-myth-in-the-debate-over-which-fuel-makes-more-power/

"Another way to look at octane is that a lower octane number has a faster burn rate. It has a better ability to expel energy faster. A higher octane fuel slows the wave front of the combustion flame and raises the temperature at which combustion occurs."

Don't waste your money, use 87 octane since you are not forcing more air above ambient pressure into your combustion chamber.

I can see modifying the OEM engine management computer to increase hp is the way to go to see any gains. But still, 93 octane won't help.

The newer v6s are getting direct injection for about a 20hp gain!

Don't know why the Lexus v6s would require higher octane unless the compression ratio is high enough to require it to prevent knock. Or maybe it's a marketing thing so buyers would feel superior to us lowlifes using 'regular' gas instead of special, higher priced 'premium' grade..:D

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
it alone does not add horsepower...

..I can see modifying the OEM engine management computer to increase hp is the way to go to see any gains. But still, 93 octane won't help.
Agreed that it alone can't add HP.

Because I have had my ECU with the timing advanced more than stock, my Rav4 benefits from the 93octane over a lower octane. I also have a separate tune that i can flash on which allows me to run E85. It includes even MORE timing advance over stock (still working out the bugs on it - may have hit the limits of the stock 370cc injectors)

Don't know why the Lexus v6s would require higher octane unless the compression ratio is high enough to require it to prevent knock. Or maybe it's a marketing thing so buyers would feel superior to us lowlifes using 'regular' gas instead of special, higher priced 'premium' grade..:D
The example i will use is the 2009 Toyota Avalon (268HP) and 2009 Lexus ES350 (272HP).

The two cars have the same V6 3.5L 2GRFE engine and same 10.8:1 compression - the exact same engine. You may be thinking of what is in the IS350, the 2GRFSE with 11.8:1 compression. From what i've read, Lexus says that if you don't run premium fuel, you will void their warranty - regardless if 87 unleaded works just fine. But, without putting the two on the dyno after ensuring they both have the same drivetrain and everything else is the same besides the fuel octane, the only guess is that they are running a bit more timing in their tune allowing for that tiny bit of extra hp (if its actually there)...and help keep knock away making them a "next level premium" over their Toyota counterpart.

Bigger throttle can improve performance by reducing lag time. Less restrictions
Since i don't have a dyno yet or time slips to prove any difference, all I can say is that after the upgrade, the throttle response is better and the intake has more growl. To me, money well spent on my car hobby.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You might have missed that he has his ECU tuned. Which advances timing and changes variables to gain power with 93 octane. So the more air argument is debatable but the higher octane in this case is not.
If advancing timing and/or changing the air/fuel ratio results in the need for anti-knock additives then you must use 93 to prevent knock. High octane alone never results in higher hp.

I can't find any evidence that 93 octane alone increases hp, ALL studies show that high octane is for anti-knock qualities not horsepower, period.

Tom

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Just saying this out loud... I'm able to advance timing more with 93 without knock than 87, only because 93 burns slower am i able to get more hp while the timing is advanced.

87 = Xhp
87 with timing advance (knock and reduced hp) xhp
93 = xhp
93 with timing advance = XXhp > 87 @ Xhp

I'm no tuner but this was our experience while tuning my Rav4.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Agreed that it alone can't add HP.

Because I have had my ECU with the timing advanced more than stock, my Rav4 benefits from the 93octane over a lower octane. I also have a separate tune that i can flash on which allows me to run E85. It includes even MORE timing advance over stock (still working out the bugs on it - may have hit the limits of the stock 370cc injectors)

The example i will use is the 2009 Toyota Avalon (268HP) and 2009 Lexus ES350 (272HP).

The two cars have the same V6 3.5L 2GRFE engine and same 10.8:1 compression - the exact same engine. You may be thinking of what is in the IS350, the 2GRFSE with 11.8:1 compression. From what i've read, Lexus says that if you don't run premium fuel, you will void their warranty - regardless if 87 unleaded works just fine. But, without putting the two on the dyno after ensuring they both have the same drivetrain and everything else is the same besides the fuel octane, the only guess is that they are running a bit more timing in their tune allowing for that tiny bit of extra hp (if its actually there)...and help keep knock away making them a "next level premium" over their Toyota counterpart.

Since i don't have a dyno yet or time slips to prove any difference, all I can say is that after the upgrade, the throttle response is better and the intake has more growl. To me, money well spent on my car hobby.

Wow! those are serious hp gains purely with tuning improvements that require 93 octane to prevent knock. If I had that tuning in my v6 I would not mind paying the price for 93!!!

Tom

61 - 80 of 110 Posts