Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m driving 2019 Hybrid Limited AWD and getting terrible MPG score during this winter season. Can someone explain if this is normal or lemon?

When we got the car in September, we were getting over 42mpg (5.4L/100km).
Now we’re getting 28mpg (8.5L). Drove like a slug today in warm above zero weather and my best was 32mpg (7.2L)

Factors to consider:
  • currently using 17inch continental Viking contact 7 winter tires
  • driving in snow
  • weather -10 to - 15F
  • can’t fill up tank to full issue (don’t think this affects avg score though)
I’ve been reading on this forum that people are getting 10-15 percent decrease after switching to winter wheels, but 42mpg to 28mpg is terrible. Can anyone explain what is going on?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @toyotadude @hopes2
Agree with everything you’ve listed. Just that that my numbers are much lower than my other Canadian compadres is it makes me think that I got a lemon. Will have to keep an eye out and see if I can get my 42mpg back when it gets warmer

·
Registered
773 Posts
Agree with everything you’ve listed. Just that that my numbers are much lower than my other Canadian compadres is it makes me think that I got a lemon. Will have to keep an eye out and see if I can get my 42mpg back when it gets warmer
Just to be clear... Are you monitoring trip average MPG? Or tank average MPG? Trip average can be kind of misleading. Tank average is a much more reliable indicator.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hybrids are impacted a bit more than other cars as well, so that's not completely unexpected.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just one more thing to add. Depending on your cabin temperature settings your engine may run more to meet those requirements.
In addition, the battery system is much less efficient in cold weather, so that has an impact on being able to rely on electric motor assist for better MPG. I read that Li-Ion battery packs generally cannot be charged below 32F, although the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid uses NiMH batteries instead, and the cabin temperature should normally be above 32F when being driven. Still, battery performance suffers quite a bit in very cold temps.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Man...how many of these threads are going to show up. Can we just sticky ONE of them so we dont have 23 billion messages about people having the expected reduction in MPGs during cooler weather and panicking about it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to be clear... Are you monitoring trip average MPG? Or tank average MPG? Trip average can be kind of misleading. Tank average is a much more reliable indicator.
monitoring tank average. I have been resetting to zero every time I fill up close to empty.

·
Registered
573 Posts
42mpg to 28mpg is terrible. Can anyone explain what is going on?
How long is your average drive? Short drives do get terrible MPG because the hybrid system basically doesn't accomplish much until the ICE is warmed up. Once warmed up, it takes a while to make up for the poor MPG during warm up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with @pikeviewer , on one of my last trips in warm weather, 100mile round trip, 35-50mph I avg. 50mpg Now on my short trips back and forth to work, 5 miles each way, 5 -> 25F I avg less then 30 mpg. As state above, the engine runs the whole time to get it temperature so very little battery power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I noticed a drop to 37-38mpg when the cold hit... Got some of it by by using non-ethonol gas, and keeping an eye on tire pressure. Getting 42.5 now, not as good as warm weather but better than 37-38.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found the same thing. It is back to 40 degree now and the mileage went back to 38. 2019 XSE Hybrid

1 - 14 of 14 Posts