Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at 4000rpm my car (96 5 speed) makes this horrible high pitches rattling noise. It sounds lind of like a very thin piece of metal being vibrated at high freqeuncy. There is no noise under four grand and the noise persists to redline. What the hell is this? Am I doing engine damage? Being that our cars are slow as anything, you NEED to spin the engine to aquire any forward momentum and this is kinda worrying me.

I know i posted the same thing awhile ago but my computer is a tool, couldn't view page two, sorry. Also, it issn't the heat shields on the exaust.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it an auto - does switching the OD off change things?

Is it a manual - Does the Diff Lock work OK?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
manual, diff lock works fine

random stupid 4 grand rattle noise that lasts till redline

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have what appears to be the exact same issue (97 5speed) - you've described it well. Everything works great on mine, including the diff. On my rav it sounds like aluminum to me - so I was assuming it was a heat shield but havent had the chance to look. Hard to tell where its coming from when you bring the rpm's up high.

Almost thought it was muffler related (loose somethingorother) as my 14yo son indicated that it was a 'cool' sound and did I add something to get it...lol. To me - it doesnt sound cool. Sounds loose. Sounds aluminum. Sounds wrong.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could check to see if it is your baffles in the exhaust pipe, mane have gone and make a noise after 3K when it is cold and is fine when it is warm.

Rob

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is all the time though, not just when it is cold. Exaust baffles? how do i get to those?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just fixed a rattling bit on my exhaust and it only made a noise at tickover and at the occasional point accelerating - and every-time I've seen this exhaust problem on Toyotas the symptoms have been like this

Could you be getting pre-ignition? Check timing?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The noise is NOT comming from anything loose in the exaust, i checked all the heat shield and really hit everything hard to try to acertain in there was rattling. what is this guys...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sure it's not the exhaust? I had the same problem. Nothing rattled when I hit the heat shields. Upon further inspection, I noticed the shield on the cat was rusted at the 4 bolts holding it up. The 2 on the driver's side was completely rusted and had separated. It's not noticable when you're banging on the exhaust. I removed it (just ripped it off since the bolts had desintegrated) and now I don't have the rattling anymore.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Normally the rear silencer that whistle over 4000 rpm
nothing to see but replacing it should fix

Heard many whistle a painful noise when hard acceleration
:wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shield on the cat is fine, it is NOT comming from the muffler... What am I supposed to do. My clutch has ten thousand miles on it and started to slip the other day. I hate my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts