Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just replaced the timing belt, water pump, oil pump seal/gasket, can oil seal on my daughter?s ?99 at 205K. Started right up, but has a rattle (sounds a bit like a diesel car or when a car with bad timing is desiring) when at idle. Under speed it?s worse, but goes away somewhere over 2K on the tachometer. The oil light came on too, but the oil level is fine.

Ideas? I?m going to tear it apart again I guess. Gotta figure out what it is. Any ideas and thoughts are welcome!

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
A preliminary guess would be that there is insufficient oil pressure which can cause the rattling sound. Perhaps there is a problem with the oil pump work which was done. I wouldn't run the engine until determining the what the problem is and sorting it out. Obviously if the problem is low oil pressure, running the engine can ruin bearings and other components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, thanks for the thoughts. When I removed the belt, it was obvious that the oil pump seal and gasket had been wearing; so I removed it, replaced the oil seal at the sprocket and the gasket to the engine. It seemed the mechanism spun smoothly when out of the vehicle, but maybe it has an issue? I?ll try and see if I can locate any troubleshooting points for the pump on-line.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Don't know about the 4.1 engine but with many engines one can remove the oil pressure sensor unit and replace it with an oil pressure gauge setup to determine actual oil pressure. Also, perhaps check the oil filter to determine whether it contains oil - have had experience with another engine where the oil filter was air-locked causing the oil pressure warning light to come on. Had to fill the filter with oil before installing it. Another possibility is that when reassembling a part was omitted or incorrectly installed which serves in part to regulate oil pressure by making certain that it is directed properly. If incorrectly installed or omitted the total pump flow can flow so freely at that point and with no pressure in the system no other part will receive sufficient lubrication

Hopefully the problem you are having will be more easily solved.

Or the problem perhaps is not oil pressure-related. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Ivebeen thinking ?outside the box? possibilities too, those are some great ones, especially the air-locked filter, wow.im thinking it?s the oil pump, perhaps worn out of spec as there was some noise down there pre-timing-belt replacement and maybe cleaning it up real well with new gaskets taxed it? IDK, but my thoughts, and hearing, keep pointing me there too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Did you follow the Toyota procedure and do all the turns of the crankshaft(3 and 7/8 turns) to adjust the belt tension?
Did you use a new spring?
Is the oil light on all the time?

The solid lifters in the 3s-fe should not rattle at low oil pressure.
With the oil-pump shaft seal leaking and 205k on the the engine, why not replace the oil-pump while you are in there?
Just had to ask. :smile

Reactions: eodgator

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Sounds like maybe you are slightly off on your timing, it will make her rattle. Try the following:

1) Take the timing belt cover back off and yes I know I would rather get a root canal than to do it but it must be done.
2) Pull the #1 spark plug the one closest to the timing belt
3) Get something about a foot long or so that is clean and will easily slide in the spark plug hole (I prefer a wood dowel) and place it loosely in the hole vertically
4) Slowly turn the engine over with a ratchet on the crank bolt until you get the rod as high as it will go
5) Check the timing marks if you are off remove the belt and put it back on in the right position. Make sure you follow the procedure Roundabout posted.
6) Reassemble everything but the cover (in case this isn't the solution)
7) Start her up hopefully she'll purr again

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I just remembered that I had a problem with that with my old timing belt it had stretched and was hitting the timing belt cover, it's called timing belt slap, you need to adjust the tension on your timing belt. If you didn't replace the tensioner pulleys that may be part of the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Make sure you do Roundabout's procedure he listed to properly tension the timing belt or it won't tension properly and you will be doing it all over again.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Did you figure it out, don't leave us hanging!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts