Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the stock speakers replaced in my RAV4 Sport this week. It's a real shame that Toyota offers absolutely no upgrade path for Canadian owners that don't buy the Limited model. I was completely shocked when I saw what the stock speakers look like. They are entirely plastic and the magnet core is about the size of a soda bottle cap. I had component speakers put in the front and 2 ways in the back doors. The sound is now better and not 'muddy' sounding like it was before. Still, it needs more bass so I'm thinking about adding a small self powered bass tube possibly underneath the rear seats.

I wonder how much the 6cd changer stereo would cost to buy from Toyota.

BTW, I still love my RAV4 Sport V6. I only miss a sunroof and having better sound.

Rob

·
Registered
240 Posts
You wouldn't happen to remember what size the speakers were? Were they a direct fit or did you/your installer have to make a mount for them?

And while I'm at it, I wonder if anyone has the factory door schematics for those of us who would like to do replace the speakers?

·
Registered
233 Posts
RobG
It would be very helpful if you could provide the dimensions of the speakers you removed and the model number of the speakers you purchased. My recommendation to you at this point is to buy a 4-channel amplifier( which should mount nicely under the middle section of the rear seat) to power those speakers and keep the standard head unit. If you want to try something different you can change out your rear speakers for 6.5 subwoofers from Kicker. You can set the amp to send the highs to the front and lows to the rear.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Well, actually, I wouldn't expect the JBL upgrades to be a wholly better set of speakers. Probably only marginally better than the paper cones you find in with the stock sound system...

Certainly not worth the extra cost, because you could buy much off-the-shelf hardware for the the same price as the upgrade and original stereo components. But, in the end, it's sometimes just easier to get it configured out of the factory rather than the hassle of getting it all installed aftermarket (DIY or professional).

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the RAV4 base model, and would really like to upgrade the speakers as well. I can't get the speaker covers off, and don't want to pull too hard and break anything on my new RAV4. How did you upgrade your speakers? Do I just need to pull harder to pop the covers off?

Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaker upgrades cannot be done without removing the door panels. I suggest taking it to a professional. While you are at it, at least having the wiring upgraded as well just in case you want to add an amplifier later.

I don't know how those covers come off.

Rob

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
karrock said:
Well, actually, I wouldn't expect the JBL upgrades to be a wholly better set of speakers. Probably only marginally better than the paper cones you find in with the stock sound system...

Certainly not worth the extra cost, because you could buy much off-the-shelf hardware for the the same price as the upgrade and original stereo components. But, in the end, it's sometimes just easier to get it configured out of the factory rather than the hassle of getting it all installed aftermarket (DIY or professional).
I would spend the extra up front for the JBL just because it's factory and I don't have to worry about some clusterf**k taking apart my vehicle. My corworker had an amp installed in his trunk and the installers drilled a hole into the gas tank from above.

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
RobG said:
I had the stock speakers replaced in my RAV4 Sport this week. It's a real shame that Toyota offers absolutely no upgrade path for Canadian owners that don't buy the Limited model. I was completely shocked when I saw what the stock speakers look like. They are entirely plastic and the magnet core is about the size of a soda bottle cap. I had component speakers put in the front and 2 ways in the back doors. The sound is now better and not 'muddy' sounding like it was before. Still, it needs more bass so I'm thinking about adding a small self powered bass tube possibly underneath the rear seats.

I wonder how much the 6cd changer stereo would cost to buy from Toyota.

BTW, I still love my RAV4 Sport V6. I only miss a sunroof and having better sound.

Rob
hi rob! i don't know if they put the same speakers in JDM as NA model, but i have a pioneer HDD navi (similar to AVIC-Z1) which is rated at 200W (4 x 50W peak). the sound from the front stock speakers was actually better than i thought it would be!!! rear speakers still suck. even the stereo sales guy was impressed....he said that even if i upgraded the speakers now, it wouldn't sound THAT much different, unless i added an external amp and sub. also, sound quality can be affected by the source material, such as if yur listening to MP3 or CD.

i think toyota doesn't list the stock or JBL power ratings for a reason :oops:

btw, what kind of speakers did u put in??? did the component tweeters fit in the existing location???

i'm still gonna change the speakers and add a sub later. i think the stock speaker placement for the tweeters in the door is not optimal so i'll probably have them installed in the A pillar near the mirror housing.

keep us updated on your quest for better sound!!!

cheers

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup..those stock speakers sucks.

After weeks of research and talking to my installer, I will put these into my RAV4:

Head Unit: Clarion 956
Front Speakers: Morel Elate 6 2-Way running active
Front Amp: Audison LRx 4.1k (125w x 2 + 135w x 2)
Rear Speakers: Hertz ECX 165
Rear Amp: powered by HU
Subwoofer: Lotus SW300
Sub Amp: Audison LRx 1.1k (420w)

With soundproofing of front doors, the system should be a blast.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Can anyone import the overseas brackets and trim plate so we can use single or double DIN aftermarket headunits?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts