Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Yea... strange thing is, even OUT of the car, the old one feels fine. My guess: I think whoever installed it used the shaft to pound the bearing into the carrier. Personally, when doing CVs, I used the most surface area possible and with wood, on the rubber bot on the edge of the inner joint. It doesn't hurt the rubber and never puts and weird forces on the joints.

So glad thats behind me. Now, to put the shaft back in and hope I rebuilt it right, and that the little play in the REAR axels isnt a problem. Similar amount of wiggle as an RX330 I messed with once and that wasnt a problem; heres to hoping.

I am going to likely replaced the rear axel shaft seals, but part of me wonders if the violence of the U joint being seized caused the leak and now that the driveshaft is smooth (i assume) it will be fine? its not a drip, its just wet.

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
i didnt doubt you for a second lol its just SOOOO strange. No play to be felt anywhere in it... neither joint or the bearing, but THANK GOD its behind me

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Everything is back together, and the car drives great, the only thing left of concern is the howling from the back brakes. It is almost a wheel bearing sound, but the wheel bearings are good. Is it possible that the viscous coupler would make sound under breaking but not under normal loads? It did this with the driveshaft out as well

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Never touched the vicious coupler... and the brakes made the howling with out the driveshaft. Safe to assume the coupler is fine? Hate to put brakes on for nothing if it could be the viscous coupler

·
Registered
5 Posts
S O L V E D!

it was the passenger side front CV. I have no idea what was wrong with the old one, it felt just fine in and out of the car. Thank God! The car drives perfectly. When I put the driveshaft back in, hoping more issues aren’t uncovered, but if they are, they are simply the shaft itself, which I rebuilt, or the rear axles. Thank you all so much for your support. I love this site
Hi, I have exactly the same symptoms, changed driveshaft and nothing ... how do I know which cv axle is? front, back, left, right? thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well, you can eliminate the rear by dropping the driveshaft and disconnecting the 4wd computer

usually they have some place play or leak grease. In my case, lucky guess; the one that was bad had already been replaced. I suspected the previous persons work/non original part

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, you can eliminate the rear by dropping the driveshaft and disconnecting the 4wd computer

usually they have some place play or leak grease. In my case, lucky guess; the one that was bad had already been replaced. I suspected the previous persons work/non original part
Is there any diagram how can i disconnect from the computer and the location of the computer? if I don't ask too many ...(2007 V6) thousands of thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
The 4WD ECU is located just forward of the glove box. You disconnect it by releasing the sides of the glove box, dropping it down and unplugging the connector.

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
61 - 74 of 74 Posts