Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and test drove a Pacific Blue Sport FWD today. I loved the ride but the salesman must have thought I was a moron or something. He quoted me a price of $24,529 (incl. dest. fees) and of course I had done plenty of research prior to going. :)

This is how my first car buying experience went:

1. He attempted to charge me the destination charge ($605) twice.

2. He said that they would not be using the Costco or AAA pricing for the RAV4's because it is a new vehicle.

3. He said that I would not be able to haggle on the price because the RAV4 was in such high demand.

4. He could not deduct the 2005 College Graduate incentive of $400 from the price because it was a new vehicle.

There were 5 RAV4's on the lot and if they were in such "high demand" as he said, those would have been gone by now. right? I guess seeing that I was a young female purchasing a car on my own, he thought that I would not have noticed any of these things. It was insulting :x but now I know where not to bring my business.

This will be my first car purchase on my own and I greatly appreciate this website for all the help it has given me to avoid salesman like him and shop smart. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that he said that the new RAV4 was $300 less than the prior year. I thought it was $300 more :roll:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anunn said:
Forgot to mention that he said that the new RAV4 was $300 less than the prior year. I thought it was $300 more :roll:
actually, depending on grade, they are a lot cheaper than before.

Also, 5 vehicles seems like a lot to you? :). Rav4 should sell 120,000-140,000 per year, that means they should have 1 Rav for every 3 Camry's they have... 5 vehicles for one month allocation is about nothing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Anunn said:
This will be my first car purchase on my own and I greatly appreciate this website for all the help it has given me to avoid salesman like him and shop smart. :D
Hi Anunn, welcome to the group. I just bought a Flint Mica Sport from a San Diego dealer last Friday but I've talked to several dealers in SD, LA, and OC over the past month. There is probably only 4 out of all of them I would ever talk to again.

Not to be prejudice or anything but I do believe some salespeople will try to take advantage of women buyers. I also think with any major purchases, smart shoppers need to shop around for the right salesperson as much for the right product.

Feel free to email me offline: [email protected]

·
Registered
654 Posts
spwolfx said:
Anunn said:
actually, depending on grade, they are a lot cheaper than before.

Also, 5 vehicles seems like a lot to you? :). RAV4 should sell 120,000-140,000 per year, that means they should have 1 RAV for every 3 Camry's they have... 5 vehicles for one month allocation is about nothing.
Five on the lot in SD could mean either depending on the dealer. There's 2 dealers I know of that hadn't had any on the lot since release.

Anunn, if you can wait, So Cal region is suppose to get about 75 of the 4-cyl by May.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definetly plan to shop around the So. Cal area. Thanks for the info. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I second puttputt's advice on if you can wait there will be more around.
Also you might try getting internet quotes before going in to purchase, as you may be able to save alot of time going to dealerships. Also try going to www.edmunds.com and read up on buying strageties will be helpful.
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts