Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 97 Rav4 and a kid in a carseat!
I woud like to know if anyone out there has installed a tether anchor in their Rav4 of any year.
The "top tether" is a strap that goes from the top of the carseat to a solid anchor on the car behind the carseat. The anchor will be either on the floor of the vehicle, or on the ceiling in a car like the Rav4.
If you have installed this anchor you probably know what I'm talking about.
Usually there are instructions in your owners manual. The 97 manual makes no mention of it. Maybe someone with a later year, or from a different country has a manual that gives some sort of instruction. I'm pretty sure that Canada, Australia, and some european countries had more strict policies regarding the availability of tether anchors back in 97. The instructions will either tell you where to drill a hole and install the anchor with a nut and bolt, or it will tell you where to look for a nut already welded to the body somewhere so that the anchor can be installed with just a bolt.
I am very hopefull that someone out there can help me.

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Don't know if this will help but maybe it will. First, pull the strap on the rear seat to fold it down all the way (you may need to remove the headrest).

Next, on the side of the seat by the door, is a little lever, pull that forward, and the whole seat will pivot from the rear up to the front. Under the seat is the mounting bolts for the seat itself. Maybe you can use one of those for your anchor.

I've never had any experience with a carseat anchor, so I'm not sure if this will be of any use. Hope it helps.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.

I have a '98 and it has a threaded nut in the cargo floor. My local toyota dealer sells the "tether bolt for about $20 canadian"
I beleive you just screw it in.

marf.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was anyone able to find information on the Tether question for the 97 Rav4? We just purchased one on 9/6/06 and I just came across this forum. We have a 10 1/2 month old baby girl and we just purchased a convertible car seat for her tp go into the RAV4. In my research (after the fact), i discovered that Automakers were not required to install the Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) for cars produced prior to 9/2002. Some makers were ahead of the rest and had them installed in some vehicles prior to that date. (The 2000 Avalons and 2001 Pathfinder definately had them). In addition, some makes can be retrofitted to use this system. However, if your car does not have them (such as my '97 4.1) then the regular seat belt will do just fine as long as it is installed properly. (Unless someone can shed more knowledge on the subject.) :wink:

I suggest that you 1) research the installation guide that came with the car seat. They typically have directions on how to install the carseat in cars with or w/o the LATCH system. Secondly, set up an appt with your local fire or emergency dept. They will assist you with properly installing the carseat regardless of the type/age of your vehicle. (At least the are helpful here in NC) You will be amazed to find out that all of that hard work and sweat that you put in to install the car seat on you own was all WRONG! Note: Appts may not be necessary in your neck of the woods but being courteous never hurts. :lol:

Gateaggie

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
ok, here in Australia, all vehicles for quite some time have had to have anchor points for child restraints....

In the RAV4, in the cargo area, there should (Was on our 1998) be a piece of the carpeting that lifts (About the size of your thumb), under this is the anchor point for the anchor BOLT... Simply screw the bolt down and connect up your restraint.. There are 2, one on each side in case you need to fit another seat as well......

Good luck

PS: If you cant find it or would like a pic to help, PM me...

Keep on RAVing.....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AussieRAVer, I'd like to see pictures of this, I'm trying to do the same thing. Also, how does the child seat attach to the seat itself? On most cars, there are D rings that the child seat clips to, and I don't see any in the RAV.

I ordered the kit from the owner's manual (x2, one for each side), and all it was is a couple of spacers, a bolt, and an adjuster for the strap. I took it back, it certainly wasn't worth $56 when I can buy the bolts at the hardware store for $2. I'm also not sure how the LATCH system could attach to the bolt.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

As you can see in these images this is how the Australian child seats fit in..... the first pic is the rear cargo area location , 2nd pic is the same bolt / nut under the car, 3rd & 4th are pics of the SEAT BELT that passes through the rear of the child seat and clips into the buckle... The restraint strap is really only there to stop the top of the child seat from moving forward in an accident.....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have two RAV4s (1998 and 2000). According to our Owner's Manuals both cars can be retrofitted to have the tether anchors installed. I bought the necessary parts and went to the dealership to have the anchors installed in the 1998. I was told that even though it appeared in the manual, the car cannot be retrofitted. The tech said that the sheet metal used for the floor of the trunk was too flimsy and in the event of an accident the anchor bolt would rip through the metal. I called the main Toyota customer service number and I was told that only the Canadian versions of the car have the ability to be retrofitted for anchor bolts. The reason it was in the Owner's Manual is because although different versions of the car were made for the two different countries, they only made one Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Canadian version is exactly as in Aussie's photos, not that it helps if the floor mounts aren't there in the US RAVs......

There's not a lot of strain on these anchors, as said earlier, they only keep the seat from pitching forward.
For those in the states, that ready would like to have them, why not see a "good" muffler shop or trailer hitch dealer and have the floor drilled in the locations in Aussie's photos and sandwich the floor with 2 steel plates of 4" to 6" diameter when installing the bolts.....I'm pretty sure this would prevent tear out......it's not like they take the full weight of the child like seatbelt anchors do......

Always used/use the tethers for my g-sons, and in the 2nd gen the tethers go to a metal loop on the lower back of the rear seats......well, they do in my '05......can't speak for all years.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts