Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota was not Required to replace our fuel tank, but they delivered and I could not be happier.

I just returned from a beautiful scenic drive with my wife and the fuel gauge is working properly, DTE is looking good and no issues with the new fuel tank.

Thank you Toyota. You have a customer for life.

Russ

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
1,101 Posts
Toyota was not Required to replace our fuel tank, but they delivered and I could not be happier.

I just returned from a beautiful scenic drive with my wife and the fuel gauge is working properly, DTE is looking good and no issues with the new fuel tank.

Russ
Sounds like a magical day 🦄

·
Registered
448 Posts
RussC?

I'm happy for ya.

However, I'm not that gracious, generous, or forgiving, in my opinion or critique when it comes to Toyota or any corporate personhood.

At least the RAV4 Hybrid units with the dysfunctional fuel system design don't fly into the ground killing hundreds at a time.

Reactions: 4togrfr

·
Registered
345 Posts
At least the RAV4 Hybrid units with the dysfunctional fuel system design don't fly into the ground killing hundreds at a time.
Yeah, because those pilots couldn't have just hand-flown those planes. Poor training and an over-reliance on automation played a hand (no pun intended) in those crashes as well...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yeah, because those pilots couldn't have just hand-flown those planes. Poor training and an over-reliance on automation played a hand (no pun intended) in those crashes as well...
Being that stuff was not documented in the manual and was not part of the original simulator and certain "options" were not declared I would be very hard pressed to blame a pilot.

While I believe the world is way to dependent on automation I am not feeling that the pilots could have just moved a switch from "auto" to "manual" and all would have been fine with a wipe of the brow.

But thats just my .02. I could have interpreted the above incorrectly as well.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got mine back on Friday will a Full gas tack ( Thanks Toyota )

Service manager said they had to crash test dozens of cars after the new gas tank design. ( it seems internal only, from the pictures )
That's one of the reasons for the delay..

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,242 Posts
I got mine back on Friday will a Full gas tack ( Thanks Toyota )

Service manager said they had to crash test dozens of cars after the new gas tank design. ( it seems internal only, from the pictures )
That's one of the reasons for the delay..

US car or Canadian purchase? Fixed where? Do you have any info from the service records you could share in the Canadian Fuel Fix thread.

·
Registered
448 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

Bzzzzz . . . . Johnny, tell our contestant what he's won.

Boeing and their customers abhor the notion of cost. It directly cuts into profit.

A separate Certification that would impose costs of crew certification along with requisite additional training and the thorough documentation . . . . . and that doesn't even begin to address the shoddy software and faulty sensors and hardware implementation.

There was no poor training.

There was NO TRAINING. Unsuspecting flight crews with type ratings along with their thousands of hours on the 737 air frame were put in command of an aircraft that was substantially different, with "Easter Egg" magic tricks in its bag.

An internal Boeing 737MAX8 production Team email . . . . .

Remove "This airplane" and replace it with "This RAV4 fuel system"

Reactions: Colonel

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's not true. The pilots all had a self-guided course that they took on their iPads. What could possibly be wrong with that? Welcome to the 21st century.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am not feeling that the pilots could have just moved a switch from "auto" to "manual" and all would have been fine with a wipe of the brow.
Not what I'm understanding from my Southwest friends who flew/fly them. It's literally a switch and then you do pilot stuff and hand-fly them. Remember the Asiana crash in San Fran the other year? Pilots that were over-reliant on automation and flew a perfectly good airplane into the ground in VMC conditions because they couldn't fly a visual approach.

But, what do I know? I'm type rated in the Boeing 707/720 (among others) and come from a generation where you fly the airplane first...

Reactions: hftech

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not what I'm understanding from my Southwest friends who flew/fly them. It's literally a switch and then you do pilot stuff and hand-fly them. Remember the Asiana crash in San Fran the other year? Pilots that were over-reliant on automation and flew a perfectly good airplane into the ground in VMC conditions because they couldn't fly a visual approach.

But, what do I know? I'm type rated in the Boeing 707/720 (among others) and come from a generation where you fly the airplane first...
707? Yes, you are from another generation. Beautiful plane. I remember as a kid sitting in the cockpit of the one they had on display at the Franklin Institute where my father worked. One of my favorite books as a kid was "Like a Homesick Angel". It was about a TWA pilot that transitioned from Connies to the 707. Sorry, your post has me getting a bit nostalgic.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yeah my buddy does long haul for Delta. Says he wouldn't touch a 737Maxx. He said that the "auto" part still did stuff when in "manual" mode which caused issues. Where you have personal contact with the system; mine is about what I read and him. Right or wrong.

And I would MUCH rather have pilots like you in the cockpit. AKA the Sullys of the world. I travel a lot for my job. And while most of it goes unnoticed here in the states...you DO think (at least I do) what some of the foreign little places have for training when you lift off and land and feel you are on a barn stormer coming in with severe cross winds.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The victims of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 died on the alter of capitalism where wealth and profit are worshiped and nothing else, not the environment, ethics, honesty, or lives, matters or counts.

Christening a new aircraft with it's own certification and type rating, imposing a unique type rating on that new airframe along with all of the requisite training, both simulator and check rides and more, all of it completely out of the question and absolutely unacceptable . . . . . Boeing was in a position of competing with Airbus for orders and survival.

Fortunately, there is the huge population of suckers out there, the U.S. Taxpayer to cover their operating (mistakes) expenses and fill in the potholes of market vagaries.

The worship of money was loading, fueling, motivating, and driving the clown car; and hundreds died because of it.

Fortunately, none of us have died at the fuel island, not from hypothermia, sunstroke, or boredom.

But it will be a cold day in opposite land Hell when I thank a corporation for fixing a problem in a system that should have never happened.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's not the Max you have to worry about (it's now the safest plane in the sky), it's all the other newer planes that have not been under the microscope like the Max has. Next time I fly, I hope it is on the Max.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Russ
I had my 2020 Rav 4 tank replaced last week when I took it in my DTE 28 Miles gauge read almost empty. When I got the Rav back the fuel gauge was on a QT mark I filled it up and put in 10.6 gal. with DTE 540 miles still getting my 40 t0 42 mpg.
I am very happy with the results. If you are one those with this problem Toyota is being a standup company doing what was needed to correct the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm about to have the fuel tank repair done in the next couple of weeks when the dealer gets the parts. Bought the car in late February when the problem was well known and I was assured by the salesman that Toyota would step up to the plate and fix the problem.

I live nearly an hour away from the dealer in Reno and have demanded that Toyota (not the dealer) pay for a rental car while mine is in the shop twice, once for the diagnosis proving it has the problem and second to do the work itself. They say I will have to contact Toyota Corporate to get them to take care of it, that it's not a stated part of the TSB. They did the diagnosis a couple of days ago and I paid for the rental for that day.

So if you have had the repair done, my question is were you given a rental car during the fix on the fuel tank? It’s not a lot of money but a matter of principle. It's a $40k car with a problem acknowledged by Toyota when I bought it and I don't think it should cost me anything to have the issue rectified. It will likely help my case if they are giving others a rental.

Any feedback on this question is welcome. Also, given that Toyota is finally actually doing the repairs, someone needs to reorganize the threads to reflect the progress.

Andy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts