Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 Hybrid Limited is on the engine recall list. Less than 2000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Canadian produced? When did you purchase? Mine looks to be as well. Canadian produced, purchased in Mid-October 2019. I did notice that the VIN lookup states that it might be affected, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My 2020 Hybrid Limited is on the engine recall list. Less than 2000 miles on the odometer.
There is some new information on the other engine recall threads. The way I read it, only 250 of the 44,000 vehicles recalled will actually have the defective engine block. So maybe don't let this ruin your V-day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although it sucks, I had this happen with my Subaru although it was due to faulty piston rings and excessive engine oil consumption. I learned about it at about 22k miles, worked it out with the dealer and drove it onto the lot at 59,997 miles and said okay now replace it.

Maybe you can try to drive it for a bit and get some miles out of it before putting in the new heart.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Although it sucks, I had this happen with my Subaru although it was due to faulty piston rings and excessive engine oil consumption. I learned about it at about 22k miles, worked it out with the dealer and drove it onto the lot at 59,997 miles and said okay now replace it.

Maybe you can try to drive it for a bit and get some miles out of it before putting in the new heart.

Just a thought.
That's what I was thinking too. I don't want to be the first to have it replaced and be the Guinea pig. If anything a new engine at 60k miles wouldn't be a bad thing, so long as they're familiar with the assembly of the 5th gen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Depending on how much you drive a year, you could get some nice life out of it. Although, you do risk breaking down if there is a major failure. I'd see what your dealer says and if you can get more life out of the current before just handing it over with 2k miles on it. My subaru has about 114k on it now but less than 60k on engine, so should last a while...at least until the Rav4 Prime releases.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Replacement odometers are required by law to be documented with DMV. A new odometer can start at 0 but DMV records will show the original odometer was replaced at xxxxxx miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are going to look at 44,000 RAV4s to find 250 that need a new engine. So is that 250 recalls and the are are just inspections?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don’t understand why everyone is getting all worked up about this. Recalls happen. I’m impressed with Toyota’s response on this one; some other manufactures would just brush it under the rug and hope that the affected engines don’t fail until after the 5Y/60K warranty is up.

·
Registered
955 Posts
These cars are not cheap. We have high levels of expectation for the Toyota brand. It is my opinion that the level of concern we have displayed is justified.
You got barebones LE which is as cheap as it gets for a CUV especially for an hybrid. I don't have high level of expectations based on price but the brand is what matters which at this point seems questionable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recalls are a pain but it does prove the Manufacturer is paying attention (depending on how they handle it).

A few years ago my Tundra would go into limp mode and needed a air pump. The truck was 6 years old and had about 140 000 kms on it. I tool it to my dealer and was quoted about 2500 dollars to fix. The parts manager went on the computer and came back with an amazed look on her face and said "Toyota is going to cover this as a known issue". Kind of became a Toyota fan after that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I feel like I dodged a bullet on this one. I bought my Rav4 Hybrid early January (Oct 2019 order date). It’s an XSE with the panorama moon roof apparently only built in Japan. We had originally picked one w a standard roof without the upgraded radio for a few thousand less but I changed my mind at the last minute. That one had a similar build date and Canadian factory origin. It’s looking like this is going to be a very isolated case for some folks and Toyota is being pretty proactive here. Regardless, If I was affected I’d be fighting hard for a buyback or trade at purchase cost less some fair charge for miles driven. If I was forced to accept the repair, I’d raise hell without being offered an extended warranty of some kind (even aftermarket). The dealer could offer that for a pretty reasonable price if they were willling to pass it through at cost (which they have full discretion to do).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts