Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: You cannot unplug the sound device without it kicking an error in the MIDI as @bertschb indicates. I ended up just doing a massive tape job on the device to silence it shown in post 22

I have had it with the choir. I assassinated them.....

You need a 10mm, a 12mm and the ability to remove 5 friction snaps (reuse).

Remove the five snaps and two 10mm bolts holding the radiator trim cover. You will need to do some wiggling to get it past the hood release handle. Then you will see the culprit.

Simple connector (I taped up and zip tied it to the horn harness). A single 12mm bolt holds it in place.

Put it back together. Enjoy sanity!!!

IMAG3634.jpg

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Remove the five snaps and two 10mm bolts holding the radiator trim cover. You will need to do some wiggling to get it past the hood release handle. Then you will see the culprit.

Simple connector (I taped up and zip tied it to the horn harness). A single 12mm bolt holds it in place.

Put it back together. Enjoy sanity!!! No error codes reported. Ill post back here if there are any.

View attachment 144878
Can I assume you found the source of the noise maker on your hybrid when you put into reverse or is this something different? I can't imagine they put the noise maker in the front when the sound should be coming from the rear. I have a gas version so what do I know :censored:

Reactions: Colonel

·
Registered
425 Posts

Put it back together. Enjoy sanity!!! No error codes reported. Ill post back here if there are any.

View attachment 144878
Hahahaha. . . . . wasn't it someone on this forum? Referred to it as the "Angles of Death" from War Of The Worlds.

Reactions: Colonel

·
Registered
Prime XSE Premium
286 Posts
I have a 08 Prius without the noisemaker and a 12 with it.
I surely like it without and thought about disconnecting the 12.
But on the off chance of something bad happening I imagined the sharks along with the insurance guys circling so I'll leave it be.

·
Registered
756 Posts

View attachment 144878
Is that in the same area as the two horns?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Can I assume you found the source of the noise maker on your hybrid when you put into reverse or is this something different? I can't imagine they put the noise maker in the front when the sound should be coming from the rear. I have a gas version so what do I know :censored:
Lol, they did. Took one for a test drive and was a very odd sound. For me it sounds like a noisy bearing and yes it comes from the front! Why not a lower volume speaker in the rear? Dunno. In the front so it sounds like a fake engine with bad bearings?

·
Registered
773 Posts
“So Mr. RAV4h XSE, isn’t it true that you willfully and deliberately disabled a critical safety device that could have prevented these tragic injuries to my poor client, who is now unable to provide for his family and needs constant assistance with simple daily tasks?”

I’ll be leaving mine connected, annoying as it is. ;)

·
Registered
Prime XSE Premium
286 Posts
“So Mr. RAV4h XSE, isn’t it true that you willfully and deliberately disabled a critical safety device that could have prevented these tragic injuries to my poor client, who is now unable to provide for his family and needs constant assistance with simple daily tasks?”

I’ll be leaving mine connected, annoying as it is. ;)
Asked and now answered.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes its a noise generator. Just two wires. I can imagine you would put duct tape over it and it would reduce the noise. I just removed it because I can sorta see the lame way we need to protect people from themselves while backing up. But there is zero reason I need to be on at any volume going forward and that was the point that broke the camels back.

I agree if I could alter time/volume...etc it would be way more cool. But I can easily replace it all prior to resale (which I would do anyway).

And for the litigious worry warts...when you go through a parking lot and "almost" get hit...is it you heard the cars exhaust or saw the car move or saw the reverse lights? And were you paying attention to vehicle moving around you or distracted by something else? My Fusion isnt going to alert you when I back out due to exhaust note and its not a Hybrid.

Is that in the same area as the two horns?
Yes that is correct. After I taped up the exposed connector I zip tied it to that horn harness so it wont flop around.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it just an all weather speaker that is fed an audio signal?Or does it take 12 V and it has an on board synthesizer?

I was thinking it would be cool it if it were the latter, someone could make a third party version with custom sound file.

Along these lines
Or
Sparky sounds
#8, #5 or #4 would work for me!

·
Registered
229 Posts

View attachment 144878
So, simply unplug the unit, right? Or did you need to remove it from yhe car? Thx

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just unplugged it - and now I'm getting the error "Proximity Notification System Malfuntion. Visit your dealer."

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just unplugged it - and now I'm getting the error "Proximity Notification System Malfuntion. Visit your dealer."
Where did you see that error? MIDI or the big screen?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TO disable just unplug. But I removed it because I didnt want debris or junk in the exposed connector and it was only a single 12mm bolt.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts