Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I intend to do this soon, but rereading this thread there’s a few different resistor types that folks have tried.
4 ohm 50 watt
8 ohm 10 watt
10.4 ohm 50 watt
And maybe others. My plan was to go middle of the road between them at maybe a 5 ohm 20 watt or something in there. Sound reasonable? If I HAD TO go lower or higher on the ohms/watts, should I err on the side of less or more? Obviously electrical is not my forte...

Then it seems like just a matter of splicing the wiring and soldering the resistor, right? I might or might not remove the speaker, and use theelectric adaptor to add the resistor. Any benefit/downside either way? Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
90 Posts
I intend to do this soon, but rereading this thread there’s a few different resistor types that folks have tried.
4 ohm 50 watt
8 ohm 10 watt
10.4 ohm 50 watt
And maybe others. My plan was to go middle of the road between them at maybe a 5 ohm 20 watt or something in there. Sound reasonable? If I HAD TO go lower or higher on the ohms/watts, should I err on the side of less or more? Obviously electrical is not my forte...

Then it seems like just a matter of splicing the wiring and soldering the resistor, right? I might or might not remove the speaker, and use theelectric adaptor to add the resistor. Any benefit/downside either way? Thanks!
5 ohms, 10 W should be fine. Erring on the side of caution you’d go for a higher Watt rating (effectively how much heat it’s rated to dissipate). I don’t recall the actual resistance of the speaker, but I think it’s something like 4.6 ohms (it’s probably posted somewhere earlier in the thread). So that’s the target resistance.
You shouldn’t have to do any splicing; if anything you’ll have to solder longer leads onto your resistor. Then you “plug” those directly into the end of the harness you unplugged from the speaker (polarity doesn’t matter).

·
Registered
146 Posts
The instructions from Zeniq are really good to follow if you want to create a switch. The resistor is a 10W 8 ohm and it doesn’t get hot at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’ve toyed with the idea of adding to this switch by routing the wiring inside and creating an OEM style button so that I can mute and un mute the speaker from the drivers seat. I have 3 blanks in the OEM switch row I can pick from.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As much as you hate the noise here is something to consider.
From the Federal Register.
“Compliance dates: Compliance with FMVSS No. 141 and related regulations, as amended in this rule, is required for all hybrid and electric vehicles to which these regulations are applicable beginning on September 1, 2020. The initial compliance date for newly manufactured vehicles under the 50-percent phase-in as specified in FMVSS No. 141 is delayed by one year to September 1, 2019.”
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

So we have to have it. I don’t seem to have a problem with mine as I don’t drive in reverse very much. It would be nice if we could pick a sound like the beep beep of the trucks or a foghorn, maybe the scream of a WWII dive bomber For us WWII history buffs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As much as you hate the noise here is something to consider.
From the Federal Register.
“Compliance dates: Compliance with FMVSS No. 141 and related regulations, as amended in this rule, is required for all hybrid and electric vehicles to which these regulations are applicable beginning on September 1, 2020. The initial compliance date for newly manufactured vehicles under the 50-percent phase-in as specified in FMVSS No. 141 is delayed by one year to September 1, 2019.”
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

So we have to have it. I don’t seem to have a problem with mine as I don’t drive in reverse very much. It would be nice if we could pick a sound like the beep beep of the trucks or a foghorn, maybe the scream of a WWII dive bomber For us WWII history buffs.
If I could choose a different sound that the speaker makes I'd gladly remove the switch. Tesla's sound is more like a UFO and sounds so much better than whatever this sound Toyota picked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I could choose a different sound that the speaker makes I'd gladly remove the switch. Tesla's sound is more like a UFO and sounds so much better than whatever this sound Toyota picked.
Yeah,I'd settle for pretty much anything else. White noise, loud "beep beep" like commercial trucks, etc. I don't have mine yet but I heard one in the dealer parking lot and it's like they picked the most offensive sound on purpose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find the sound soothing - akin to watching a Star Trek episode from the 1960s when Captain Kirk beams onto a far-away planet to investigate Romulan hanky-panky. He was always greeted by a similar soothing, transcendental sound.

I suspect the Toyota engineer who selected the sound is a Star Trek fan reliving his/her youth. I say job well done!

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XSE, Weather, JBL, Tech Package
90 Posts
This is how I done, 50w 10ohm resistor.

Cables 2x 82998-12450
Connector 90980-11168
I assume this means the 2 cables (82998-12450) have special terminals that clip into the housing (90980-11168), and then you cut/spliced the other ends onto the resistor? I'm still not sold on completely silencing it, but if I do, this method sounds a lot better than just jamming the ends of some ~16 ga wire into the terminals.

Edit: Never mind; I see that was more or less covered in zeniq's crazy switch box tutorial earlier. My assumption was correct.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I assume this means the 2 cables (82998-12450) have special terminals that clip into the housing (90980-11168), and then you cut/spliced the other ends onto the resistor? I'm still not sold on completely silencing it, but if I do, this method sounds a lot better than just jamming the ends of some ~16 ga wire into the terminals.

Edit: Never mind; I see that was more or less covered in zeniq's crazy switch box tutorial earlier. My assumption was correct.
Zeniq’s switch I think is the best way to tackle this. No need to unplug anything when wanting to turn it back on. I just flip the switch and the speaker starts sounding again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just did the denim sound insulation, one layer of duct tape and then a layer of electrical, sound is completely gone, thanks for the tips on how to find this thing and what you did! That noise was way too loud backing into my garage late at night.
Confirmed. . Wifes does it as well. I used dense foam door insulation about 3/4 wide and laid down strips of it and stuffed int the speaker area as well. I then duct taped around the whole thing several times and then electrical tape to make it go black.

There are snap on the lid as I wanted to open up the sound device to see if I could clip a wire or unsolder something. No dice. The clips are flimsy and there was no way I could separate the case.

I then tested it before putting it back together. I can barely hear it in reverse mode and cant hear it at all in forward. Reassembled everything and from the cabin I cannot hear it in reverse.

View attachment 144885

View attachment 144886

View attachment 144887
I just did the denim sound insulation, one layer of duct tape and then a layer of electrical, sound is completely gone, thanks for the tips on how to find this thing and what you did! That noise was way too loud backing into my garage late at night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question does anyone know where the source is for the speaker under the hood? I was thinking a volume controller or kill switch in the dash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's unusal sound, but for me it does not bother me so much, that i would remove it. But sound could be better though of :)

·
Registered
2020 XSE
31 Posts
Is it just an all weather speaker that is fed an audio signal?Or does it take 12 V and it has an on board synthesizer?

I was thinking it would be cool it if it were the latter, someone could make a third party version with custom sound file.

Along these lines
Or
Sparky sounds
To me it sounds like the electric motor sound fed through the speaker, and the the volume turned up when going in reverse. If that's what it is then I guess there'd have to be a mic somewhere picking up the electric motor sound.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm leaving mine alone. I worked for the fire department for 40 years and am used to much louder backup alarms. A guy I used to work with worked an incident where a young toddler was run over and killed by a parent backing the family car out of the garage. Needless to say the parents were inconsolable. My friend still remembers that incident vividly even though it happened in the late '60's.

If I were to disable the proximity notification on my RAV and something similar were to happen, I wouldn't want to have that on my conscience.
i have been backing up my prius for many years without running over anyone. Blind fear and lack of full understanding of the problem and solution is why we might act irrational, go over-board and implement crazy, impractical solutions. One could argue wrapping up a toddler in a bubble suit with auto eject system around them would have saved the kid. As impractical as it sounds. Now putting a 30db pleasant audio on the rear of the vehicle when backing up can save lives and not cause nuisance to public. Useable and practical solutions for human problems is what we should strive for instead of rubber stamped bureaucratic approaches to life.
Anyways, i just opened it up to check that awful PAS. It didnt bother me so much, UNTIL, my wife backed out of garage and i heard it first hand. I was “horrified” to say least.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used Weather strip foam and cut 2 inch pieces and shoved deep into the speaker diaphragm plate (it’s not really diaphragm, but a plastic cover that looks like it). Added more strips on top and used layers of insulation tape to wrap it all in place. Sound has more than halved and I am happy with the results. It’s not 100% silent, but makes it like a normal hybrid. Muffled 35 to 40% and sounds like an older gen Prius now.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
81 Posts
I wonder if someone could come up with a 3D printed plastic cover/cup that can snap on top with some insulation foam :D

181 - 199 of 199 Posts