Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not believe it would be possible but I somehow did it. I managed to get 3.9 l/100km or 60 MPG consumption on 41km (25 miles) trip. It was about 40 min drive mostly flat with little up and down hills. I started with about 75% charged battery.
What do you think? Will you try to beat me (at least on a 40km or 25 miles trip)? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, I regularly get above 50 mpg with my drive into and out of the city, but I've never completed a trip at 60 mpg. Challenge accepted!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
There is nowhere I want to go that would give such mileage.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I could make a run, but other drivers here would go nuts.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Are European RAV4 Hybrids spec'd different from ours? I'm nowhere close.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Are European RAV4 Hybrids spec'd different from ours? I'm nowhere close.

Different emission standards as well as imperial gallons which is 1.2 US gallons. I've got over 50 US MPG on one way trips showing on the MID, but the actual fuel used of a full tank calculated after refueling is a more realistic fuel economy measure and then only after averaging many fillups, not just the snapshot of a short drive going by the notoriously optimistic MID.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Different emission standards as well as imperial gallons which is 1.2 US gallons. I've got over 50 US MPG on one way trips showing on the MID, but the actual fuel used of a full tank calculated after refueling is a more realistic fuel economy measure and then only after averaging many fillups, not just the snapshot of a short drive going by the notoriously optimistic MID.
I'm familiar with Imp. Gallon. Canada use Imp. gallon and lit/100 klm. Our gasoline are sold in liters.
Best I got in urban driving with mild acceleration and speed of 50 km/hr (30 mph) is 6.5 lit/100klm. Not often. Must be difference in emission standard then.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
There is nowhere I want to go that would give such mileage.
Yeah, and averaging 41 mph (66 km/h) for 38 minutes would put me to sleep if I didn't get run over. :surprise I literally can't think of a road where I could go that slow for 30 miles (47.5 km) w/o a lot of stops.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The closest I can get is 4.5L / 100 km on a 25 km drive around my area @ 50 - 60 km/h. In American units that is 52 mpg.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm familiar with Imp. Gallon. Canada use Imp. gallon and lit/100 klm. Our gasoline are sold in liters.
Best I got in urban driving with mild acceleration and speed of 50 km/hr (30 mph) is 6.5 lit/100klm. Not often. Must be difference in emission standard then.
That's exactly what I think, emission standard is less restrictive for sure. I don't see how I could get 5L or 4L/100 km at that speed!

·
Read Only
33 Posts
Sound like Pedroo is enjoying his car. Good for him! No idea that RAV4 could get anywhere near that kind of mileage - whether Pedroo's or any other's who replied here. I know that they have been making the hybrid RAV4 for a long time now and probably have some good and consistent engineering. But what's a more likely real-world, day-to-day mileage? We have a Prius V that we really like but it's all I can do to keep it above 40 mpg during our hot summer days [Fresno, CA] and on our usual city-only driving. But that's so far above anything else that we are very happy with it. As to my RAV4 [2006] I'm content to be getting just over 20 in the same kind of driving.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dont get those low numbers either in my Japan built EU/Sweden sold and driven R4H, well I dont try that hard ...

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Sound like Pedroo is enjoying his car. Good for him! No idea that RAV4 could get anywhere near that kind of mileage - whether Pedroo's or any other's who replied here. I know that they have been making the hybrid RAV4 for a long time now and probably have some good and consistent engineering. But what's a more likely real-world, day-to-day mileage?

See Fuelly for lots of owner data. I don't use Fuelly, but my average is around 34-35mpg, better when I hit the highway. Learning how to drive a hybrid has a learning curve, something new for someone that's been driving for over half a century!

FWIW my wife's '15 Prius 4 gets 40-45mpg during the summer here, that all city.

2017 Toyota RAV4 MPG - Actual MPG from 69 2017 Toyota RAV4 owners=

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
See Fuelly for lots of owner data. I don't use Fuelly, but my average is around 34-35mpg, better when I hit the highway. Learning how to drive a hybrid has a learning curve, something new for someone that's been driving for over half a century!

FWIW my wife's '15 Prius 4 gets 40-45mpg during the summer here, that all city.

2017 Toyota RAV4 MPG - Actual MPG from 69 2017 Toyota RAV4 owners=
Surprised you get better mileage on the highway. Mine is better in the city, which is what I would expect.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Surprised you get better mileage on the highway. Mine is better in the city, which is what I would expect.

Keep the speed down, CR got an instrument measured 36mpg on their 20 mile highway loop(10 miles each way) at 65mph, I usually keep it under 60mph.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can hit 55-60 on the MID for a 15 minute run, but that isn't sustainable for very long. The best actual mpg I've done was 42.8 mpg, 139 miles divided by 3.25 actual gallons.

·
Read Only
33 Posts
The way I use my '06 RAV4 makes mileage issues irrelevant. It's almost exclusively for my solo day-trips up to the Sierras not far from home. I drive "up the hill" to 6500-8500 feet. I poke around on rough Forest Service and National Park roads for hours. Then I drive down and home again. The little beast is just 2WD but I haven't found anything it couldn't handle. When it has to work hard on seldom-maintained and deeply rutted roads, I just put it in low range, feather the gas pedal, aim it where I want it to go and it feels like I'm being winched out of trouble. When I gas up again, I consistently get just over 20mpg. I think that's fine for what I'm doing. This picture was taken in Kings Canyon National Park just last month.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, and averaging 41 mph (66 km/h) for 38 minutes would put me to sleep if I didn't get run over. :surprise I literally can't think of a road where I could go that slow for 30 miles (47.5 km) w/o a lot of stops.
I was just keeping the speed limits 0:). I don't think I was too slow. I would be speeding if I would go faster >:D. We have 50km/h (31 mph) speed limit in the city and 80km/h - 90km/h (50-56 mph) in urban areas. The trip was combination of both so 66km/h (41 mph) is a fair average.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts