Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car stops every time when I step on the break to stop in traffic. I have taken in to several mechanics but the problem persists. please help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If I understand you correctly, the engine stalls the instant you put your foot on the brake? Or does it stall at a stop light?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It sounds like a vacuum leak in the power brake booster.

Get someone to step on the brake pedal while you are listening for a hiss near the master cylinder (with the engine running).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, you are right my car engine stalls the instant I put my foot on the brake. please help

I searched my information database and came up with nothing, so this is not a common problem. All the better, as I enjoy a challenge.

To be more specific, if the vehicle is in Park what happens when you press on the brake pedal, assuming this is an automatic transmission vehicle..

Does it seem to run well when the brake pedal is not pressed?

When it is stalling, what happens when you turn on the headlights instead of pressing the brake pedal?

·
Registered
51 Posts
It sounds like a vacuum leak in the power brake booster.
My thoughts as well. If the engine stalls with the vehicle park or neutral any time that the brake pedal is pressed all indications point to a vacuum leak at the booster. If the engine only stalls when the brake is pressed while in gear (or drive) then that opens up several other possibilities.

-Saturday

1 - 6 of 6 Posts