Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2006 gen 6 disc changer unit

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I bought a Scion Stereo from eBay. I chose to do so after hearing that it was a straight swap with a stock look. After waiting what seems like forever for the stereo to clear customs, I got it and swapped it in immediately. I chose to go for the 2006 model (Pioneer T1807) because it had a rotary dial and could play WMA files as well as MP3's. I also chose to go for the single CD as opposed to 6 changer because of cost. (I paid $75 USD shipped)

Impressions:
The sound quality stomps the Toyota head unit hands down. After tuning it right, I get all mirrors to shake and not distort the sound in the process. The ergonomics of the stereo are pretty good, but having the track change buttons on the left side is kind of a pain for my wife, who's usually in the passenger seat.

The only thing I don't like so far is the rotary dial. I know that's why I bought it! It is too heavy for it's size, and it doesn't stick out of the deck far enough to really grasp and twist. Although, I don't like pushing a button to adjust volume, so the rotary dial is still better.

Reccomendations:
Go buy one! The 40W per channel really makes the stereo sound better.

Next post installation!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The swap itself was very straight forward. My 2005 RAV4 had the little silver trim pieces on the outside of the dash, and after hearing so much about the swap on these forums, I decided to do the job myself. Here is a little guide:

1. Collect your tools, you will need a Phillips screwdriver, a 10mm socket on a 10cm extension, and you may want to get a 7mm socket as well. You may also want to use an ID card or a credit card or, my favorite, some crappy points card that you really want to wreck anyways.

2. Grasp your credit card and get in your car. Try to pull on one of those side panels until you can get a card under one of the corners. Once you have done that, you should be able to tug on the card and cover lightly until it pops off. If you divide the height of the cover in thirds, there are two little clips that are hidden inside on the thirds. Just a little tug will do it. If it’s warm outside it will bend and there is nearly no worry about breaking it.

3. Beneath the side covers, there are four screws located at the corners of the next shroud. This shroud is the black surround that houses the vents and the stereo. On the backside of this shroud, there are three clips under this one. Locations are one in the middle up top, and one on either side near the bottom. Again, just tug on it. It will come off easy enough.

4. The next step should be evident at this point. Four bolts hold on the head unit itself. The top two are close to you and are easy to remove with the 10mm socket. The lower two bolts are a little trickier. (I lost one down the inside of the console but got it out by removing a kick panel.) You may choose to put a small item inside your socket to friction hold the bolt in the socket, or don’t remove the bolt at all until you have a magnet to take it out with. In my opinion, this is the trickiest part of the swap.

5. Slide out the head unit and remove the antenna cable first. It is located on the left side of the stereo. Tilt the stereo towards the right and remove the other connectors by squeezing the little clip on the bottom center of each of the connectors.

You’re done the removal process now. Swap out the mounting brackets using a Phillips screwdriver, or if they are really tight, use the 7mm socket. The installation is even easier. Just go the opposite direction!

Next post, software! (No, really!)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a few different models that are direct replacements for the stock Toyota deck. I bought the Pioneer T1807. It has a rotary dial, single CD, MP3, WMA, SAT, and AUX compatibility, and some not so well known other options. Since most purchases will be from eBay, I decided to do some research for you, since there will most likely be no manual included.

1. Default Equalizer Settings: These stereos are designed for a couple different cars and there are equalizer settings for each. The changes are dramatic. I am currently using the xB setting. To access these different EQ settings press and hold SSP until the display changes to either xA, xB, or TC. To change the EQ, simply rotate your dial or use the same up/down selector that you use for bass, treble, etc.

2. MP3 Optimization: I believe this option is called SRT or SAC?? Anyways, it is a firmware processing thing that makes the MP3 files really sound better. It will make the difference between a loud stereo and one that will shake your mirrors! Having said this, I chose not to use it. I find that it somewhat mutes the melody and lyrics when big bass hits are present. It kind if makes me mad so I tuned my stereo differently to adjust and still get that boomin’ bass I so desperately crave… With my stereo it is the first option within the bass, treble, fader, balance adjustment menu, but after reading the Scion forums it could be somewhere else on other stereos, but I don’t think so.

3. Startup Display Message: From the factory this says “Scion”. However, with all models 05 and higher, you can adjust it to say whatever you want. This is a trick procedure and it is different for 2005 and 2006 but here is a rundown which I snagged off of the internet somewhere.

2005 models:
1. Turn the key to 'ACC' and turn the radio on. Now, turn the key off.
2. On the radio, press and hold 'A' and while continuing to hold down 'A', turn the key to 'ACC'. You should now see a horizontal line on the head unit LCD display start to flash. You can now let go of 'A'.
3. Within 15 seconds, press and hold 'M' and turn the key off. You should now see a flashing cursor with the letter 'A' displayed.
4. Now use the '+' and '-' volume keys to change to the letters/characters you want to use. When you find the letter/character that you would like to use, press 'A' and the cursor will move over to the next position. If you need to delete a character, press 'M'. Once you have completed your message, press and hold 'A' for five seconds to confirm your selection.
NOTE: there is a 12 character maximum for the welcome message for the 1st gen. head unit.

2006 models:
1. Turn the key to 'ACC' and turn the radio on. Now, turn the key off.
2. On the radio, press and hold 'MUTE' and while continuing to hold down 'MUTE', turn the key to 'ACC'. You should now see a horizontal line on the head unit LCD display start to flash. You can now let go of 'MUTE'.
3. Within 15 seconds, press and hold 'PRESET 1' and turn the key off. You should now see a flashing cursor with the letter 'A' displayed.
4. Now use the 'PRESET 3' and 'PRESET 4' buttons to change to the letters/characters you want to use. When you find the letter/character that you would like to use, press 'PRESET 6' and the cursor will move over to the next position. If you need to delete a character, press 'PRESET 5'. Once you have completed your message, press and hold 'PRESET 6' for five seconds to confirm your selection.
NOTE: there is a 16 character maximum for the welcome message for the 2nd gen. head unit.

Next post Easter Eggs! (Yes, secrets revealed!)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember how you could change the display screen on the stereo? Well, there are some preset ones hidden in your system. Accessing these varies with the model of stereo you have but I have tested and confirmed a few for the T1807 model. What you have to do is get in the secret mode and then press combinations of buttons to get preset messages displayed on your screen at startup. Instructions below:

1. Secret Mode Revealed:
a. With the head unit on, turn the key from the accessory (ACC) position to OFF.
b. Press and hold the mute button, and turn the key to ACC. A thin horizontal line below the current display message will flash indicating access.
c. Within 15 sec use any of the following combinations to customize your head unit’s display. Repeat the sequence to reset to default “Scion” message.

2. T1807 Confirmed Easter Eggs
a. “WhatMovesYou” - Press and hold “Mute” and “6” simultaneously while turning ACC off.
b. “SelfExpreScion” - Press and hold “Mute” and “5” simultaneously and turn ACC off.
c. “Japanese Scion” - From the CD track Number 2, Press and hold “Mute” and “3” simultaneously and turn ACC off. (This may be done on 2005 models by using Folder down and text, I’ve heard??)

3. Unconfirmed Easter Eggs
a. "PushMyButton" - Press and hold "M" and "A" and "2" simultaneously and turn ACC off.
b. "Scion=A+B+C" - From the AM setting, press and hold "FOLDER UP" and "SCAN" at the same time then turn the key so "ACC" is off.
Well that is all I know to date about the Scion Stereos. I hope that this helped out a few people, and if you have anything to add, please do!

·
Registered
382 Posts
orbitron said:
2. T1807 Confirmed Easter Eggs
a. “WhatMovesYou” - Press and hold “Mute” and “6” simultaneously while turning ACC off.
b. “SelfExpreScion” - Press and hold “Mute” and “5” simultaneously and turn ACC off.
c. “Japanese Scion” - From the CD track Number 2, Press and hold “Mute” and “3” simultaneously and turn ACC off. (This may be done on 2005 models by using Folder down and text, I’ve heard??)
Did you get any of those to work ?
I tried today but nothing happens.
If you want, I have the manual for the unit and can PDF-it.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep I got those ones to work. The others I couldn't, so I assume they only work on the older models. In order to get any of those secret ones to work, you have to be in secret mode first. Remember you have to hold the buttons down while turning the car off and on most of the time. I thought I copied that directly from the Scion brochure but here's a link to it so you can check it out yourself... Link

I would love it if you would send me a pdf of the manual. I really appreciate the offer

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
help

with the pioneer t1807 radio, how hard is it to take my sirius and have it run through the satillite ready radio.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have an existing satellite radio, it is a little difficult. What you should do is probably get a PIE TOY3-AUX adapter and plug it into the cd changer port on the back of your head unit.

The other option you have is to get an FM direct plug harness, that is what I'm using. What it does is plug in your existing antenna then the FM transmission is much more clear.

I am working on getting an AUX adapter because really that is the best option. That way you have RCA outputs available to you then you just plug anything you want into that. The only problem is I can't seem to find one in Canadia!

The last option you have is to get satellite receiver directly from Scion. There are two things you have to buy and they're expensive. You'd be better off to buy a new stereo and internal satellite receiver than to go that route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts