Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was backing out of the Post Office parking lot yesterday and the engine started racing like crazy. This time I knew what to do, put it in "N" and killed the ignition.
Started the engine and every thing was fine. This happened about 2 years ago at a stop sign. It seems this happens at a stop or very slow speeds. I wish Toyota would figure out what the problem is. I KNOW it's not my "big foot".
Flame away fellow forum members.:smile

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Do you have any extra electronics in the vehicle? A pacemaker? Transponder? A police ankle bracelet? :)

I wrote about a similar event last Winter where the accelerator went nutz in deep snow during a turn but in this case it was my monster mickey-mouse boots. Minnesota. We don't mess around. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unfortunately, nothing conclusive - electronics are funny that way. I remember when stuck throttles were something of a normal occurrence with my older carbureted muscle cars. Sometimes they do fun stuff like have the throttle return spring snap off - makes for some a non-boring commute. Sometimes you couldn't get them to pop in neutral - had to haul them down by standing on the brakes - some of them had unassisted drum brakes all-around. You had to really stand on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if mine ever did this it would be sold the next day...i would take a loss if i had to...

I agree in theory but being on a fixed income I can't afford it. It always happens at slow speed or at a stop. I'm the only driver so at a stop I put it in "N" and at slow speed I'm ready to kill the ignition if it happens. So far it took 2 years for it to reoccur and I can handle that.:smile

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any extra electronics in the vehicle? A pacemaker? Transponder? A police ankle bracelet? :)

I wrote about a similar event last Winter where the accelerator went nutz in deep snow during a turn but in this case it was my monster mickey-mouse boots. Minnesota. We don't mess around. :)

Now that you mention it, the first time it happened was at the stop sign exiting the Post Office and this time it happened while backing out of a parking spot at guess where...the Post Office. You have me wondering if that's just a coincidence or if there is some sort of interference being generated in the vicinity of the Post Office that my electronics is particularly sensitive to...microwave transmitter maybe or something else?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Are there any cell towers, radio/TV transmitting towers, or radar antennas near the post office? I remember hearing about the road in Texas where a lot of cars died when passing near a radar dome:

FAA Radar Dome Stops Car Engines, Keller, Texas

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
If the Toyota drive-by-wire systems can be influenced by external electronic sources that would really be dangerous, and potentially the systems could be hacked by anyone who possesses a source of adequate power. :surprise

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
If the Toyota drive-by-wire systems can be influenced by external electronic sources that would really be dangerous, and potentially the systems could be hacked by anyone who possesses a source of adequate power. :surprise
Yes, for the sake of public safety I'd think the FAA would be careful not to use anything that could interfere. Given how conspicuous the domes are, any coincidental car issue might be attributed to the most unusual things in sight.

That said, when I was with a Air Force recon base in the sixties, jamming military vehicles was done occasionally. No telling what those vehicles carried. Surely not our civilian stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now that you mention it, the first time it happened was at the stop sign exiting the Post Office and this time it happened while backing out of a parking spot at guess where...the Post Office. You have me wondering if that's just a coincidence or if there is some sort of interference being generated in the vicinity of the Post Office that my electronics is particularly sensitive to...microwave transmitter maybe or something else?
This is so interesting, I signed up just to ask. Was this the same post office?

We do know USPS is a branch of government.
We also know US government is trying to stop ISIS fighters roaming around in Toyota pickup trucks.

Can you see a connection here?
I see a testing facility for secret ani-toyota weapons.

But seriously, do you have access to a radio frequency meter like this?

I have one, but don't live near you. This mystery is worth cracking.

·
Registered
253 Posts
WOW...went from unintended acceleration to secret postal conspiracies...I'm out...
Well I'm still in.
Something is causing "unintended acceleration". I experienced it once, but I was wearing my size 13, Ontario-Snow-Zone boots at the time. I put it down to my carelessness; and the UA stopped when I lifted my foot off what I thought was the brake, but may have been the loud pedal, too.
I don't know the answer, but I'm keeping an open mind. How many car manufacturers have been affected?
Maybe Toyota is unknowingly sharing a radio frequency with someone else?
Conspiracies are not my bag, but the U.S.A. put a man on the moon with the computing power of a Commodore-64?
What else do they do, but forget to tell us about?

$0.02

·
Registered
253 Posts
Jack.
We're all living in the Trump age.
"Subtle" is no longer in the lexicon.
"Knock 'em down, and drag 'em out," is the clarion call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2015 rav4 and the same thing has happened to us 3 times since last august. We have had to quickly put it into neutral and turn off engine or the car will keep going. The maintinence required light came on but the toyota dealership insists there is nothing wrong and they are not responsible for anything. This is a family car and we have small children but toyota refuses to do anything about the problem. Does anyone know anything about this problem and how to deal with it? Thank you!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts