Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need some advice regarding my RAV4. It is a 2011 AWD 2.5 with 263K on the motor.

A radiator hose came off while I was driving and the car no longer ran. I had the car towed to a mechanic. The mechanic told me I have a cracked head and zero pressure in 1 and 2, and 36% in 3 and 4. He removed the plugs and told me there was antifreeze in all four cylinders.

He recommended that the engine be replaced rather than just fixing the head "in case" the engine is damaged. He said there is no way to check the engine without compression, so if they repaired the head and did a valve job, and there were still problems with the engine, it could end up costing me a lot more.

I don't have much money and the car is paid for. I can junk it, have them do the work on the head or get the new motor, which he claims is OEM with 54,000 miles on it. Or I can have them tow it back to my house until I have the resources to get it fixed.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Lesson 1: Keep an eye on the dash gauges to prevent an engine being ruined by something such as coolant or oil pressure loss. Secondly, with that many miles on your original engine, if you wish to keep the RAV it probably would be best to opt for the replacement engine. About junking the car, you can go to a source such as Kelley Blue Book to determine what the value of your RAV would be with a 54,000 mile engine installed and decide whether that would be worthwhile considering the cost of the replacement engine (which you didn't specify) as well as the general condition of your RAV. Since your finances apparently are limited the choice about what to do obviously is more difficult and part of the decision has to do with whether you actually need the RAV now, or also whether it can sit at your home until the money for repairing it is available. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
I agree, replace the engine providing you can afford it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He wants 3600 to put in an OEM engine which has about 45,000 miles on it. I've had very few problems with the car.

Is it considered appropriate to post the quote?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Check www.car-part.com for an idea on a used engine. I see engines with less than 40k miles in the Northwest (estimating your location) for as little as $1299. Find out what labor would cost as others have suggested. Not saying what you're being estimated is unreasonable, but it's worth checking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I decide to sell this car, is having a new motor considered a plus or a negative? According to KBB, sale to a private party is about 6,000 for this model (base 4WD) with 263,000 miles on it. The new motor has about 50,000 miles.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Obviously it's not worth $6000 not running so it's gotta have the new motor.

And with quite high miles on the clock a low miles motor would be a plus but you need to document that number better than "they said so."

You might try getting a break-even $2800 for it as is. It might sell quickly. Maybe the garage would even be interested. Just start a little higher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts