Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Change to a different color or it blew out? If it blew out, take it back to the dealer. Otherwise I have no idea. You probably can't take out the button but remove the panels around it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah... but

I'm trying NOT to go back to the "stealership".... I'm trying to figure out how to change it without going back there. The light blew out by the way, like when I turn on my headlights at night time (and the dash panels are supposed to light up), the knob is not lit. :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Getting to the control isn't too hard. Pop the the small panels by the hazard button and the other side with a plastic pry tool, then there are a few screws (3 maybe) to be able to pop that control section out. I don't recall if the radio section needs to come out first (the only time I've been there was to install a DVD/GPS head unit, so I did have the radio out. If you need to do so, that's 4 more screws.

The 3 different control knobs pop out independently on the base/sport model. I don't know if the bulb can be replaced separately but the replacement part doesn't look too pricey (I'm assuming this is the appropriate part from a quick look, worth confirming by email before buying I suppose). Seemed to be several online choices for buying parts, but I've never used any of them so I won't link here. From Toyota directly it looks like a $90ish part.

Controls, Dash control unit
RAV4, Base, Sport Models, Temp Control
List Price : $44.58
Your Price : $37.89

·
Registered
1 Posts
Temperature control lights out

Did you ever get this fixed? We have the same problem with my 2007 RAV4. We first noticed it almost a month after getting the steering column knock fixed in November. It took us that long because we usually don't drive my car at night, so we didn't realize anything was wrong. We have had it back to the dealer THREE more times to get them to look at it. At one point the service guy tried to argue with me and said the temp controls didn't have any lights. He claimed there was a problem with the radio - that was finally replaced yesterday, but the temp control lights STILL are not on. After three or four trips of 35 miles one-way to get this fixed - I'm getting more than a little upset. I want my car fixed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2009 RAV4 Replace Centre Knob Controls Lamp Replacement

I could not seem to find any information about how to change the lamp behind the ventilation air flow duct control knob (centre dash) of our 2009 RAV4. I found the video that shows how to remove the radio; side panels; and the centre control knob (3 knob) panel below the radio, but after that......where is the burned out lamp located in the duct position control assembly?

Well I finally found it. I removed two electrical connectors on the back of the centre control knob panel to get enough cable slack so I could turn the panel over. Then after releasing two white retainer pins on the rear of the duct control assembly, the air duct cable control portion came off and revealed the burned out lamp base in the centre bottom of the rear of the duct control assembly (portion still mounted in the panel). A small flat blade screw driver easily turns the lamp slighty to release it. A new lamp (its incandescent with yellow covering - under $10 from Dealer) drops in and turns into its locked position. Replace the air duct control cable portion onto the rear of the assembly (withhout changing any knob or cable control positions and put everything (panels, radio etc) back together. I have attached some pictures of the replacement lamp showing its base view and side latches and the rear view of the centre control panel (air duct control assembly specifically). The black ring area in the center of the assembly is where the lamp is located. Hope this helps the next guy that wants to save a buck or two on labour. :laugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
2009 RAV4 Lamp replacement in center control panel

The pictures did not seem to post along with my original lamp replacement posting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had all of the AC control lamps, and the gear shift lamp stop working. We couldn't remember how long ago it was that it happened so I pulled everything apart and inspected the bulbs with a 9v battery to discover they were good.

I also discovered in the interior fuse panel I have blown the 7.5amp fuse that is labeled Panel 7.5 A: Clock, Instrument Panel lights, audio system. I attempted to replace the fuse and it blew right as I adjusted the brightness wheel. After this I unplugged my aftermarket radio and put in a new fuse and had no problems.

I looks like my issue was related to the radio wire harness but I figured I would post in case someone ends up with all not working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I could not seem to find any information about how to change the lamp behind the ventilation air flow duct control knob (centre dash) of our 2009 RAV4. I found the video that shows how to remove the radio; side panels; and the centre control knob (3 knob) panel below the radio, but after that......where is the burned out lamp located in the duct position control assembly?

Well I finally found it. I removed two electrical connectors on the back of the centre control knob panel to get enough cable slack so I could turn the panel over. Then after releasing two white retainer pins on the rear of the duct control assembly, the air duct cable control portion came off and revealed the burned out lamp base in the centre bottom of the rear of the duct control assembly (portion still mounted in the panel). A small flat blade screw driver easily turns the lamp slighty to release it. A new lamp (its incandescent with yellow covering - under $10 from Dealer) drops in and turns into its locked position. Replace the air duct control cable portion onto the rear of the assembly (withhout changing any knob or cable control positions and put everything (panels, radio etc) back together. I have attached some pictures of the replacement lamp showing its base view and side latches and the rear view of the centre control panel (air duct control assembly specifically). The black ring area in the center of the assembly is where the lamp is located. Hope this helps the next guy that wants to save a buck or two on labour.
Javelin:

This post was essential for me to replace my vent control bulb on my 2011 Sport. One shop quoted me $100 dollars to do it for me. Total cost for the bulb Toyota part # 90010-01122 was $7.92. Nice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Rav4 no lights on the climate control knob

Hello,

I followed the instructions both from here and from Youtube. I changed the center bulb in the control knob, and I still have no lights on the dial itself. The light for the recirc button in the center of the knob works, so I asumme there is power. Is there a separate light for the knob itself?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have had to replace 2 different center panel knob lamps since owning the 2009 RAV4 (out of the three knobs). I never had an issue other than turning the center panel over to be able to access and remove the old lamp(s) and replace it with a new one. I would suggest checking the new replacement bulb first with an ohmmeter to verify that the filament is good before installing it (new does not always mean working). Also ensure that the new bulb is seated properly and turned gently into its locked position. Also I would suggest making sure that any removed cable harness connectors are plugged in fully (if you disconnected any) and that any affected harness wiring is not damaged or broken during this process.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
I would try to find LED replacements. The LED's last a LOT longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anybody found good after market replacements for these bulbs... LED perhaps? If so, what socket/size type, or part number... If you could share links, way better! Thanks to y'all!

·
Registered
169 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts