Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the early models Rav4's up to 2004 were absolute little beasts in the winter. I put on some nice meaty "severe winter" 215/70/16 sneakers, put 200 lbs of sand bags over the rear axle and waited for some deep snow to arrive. After 2 back to back storms with about 14" of snow on the roads it was time to see if what i heard was all hype.
...I hit some old secondary roads that have not been plowed but had 4x4 truck tire trails running through it. The little rav gobbled this up easily. Then i vered over on the road that had deep snow that had not been traveled through. Same thing...effortless. Next test, up a steep hill were some cars were already stuck. Crawled up it in 2nd gear( standard) without much difficulty.
...Today, i actually forged my own path on a hill that led into the woods. nobody had travelled on it yet. There was a guy there who was looking at me like i was nuts.:D End result? This little rav4 loves deep snow! The only thing i don't like that scared the **** out of me a few times, was the abs kicking in even though i wasn't pumping the brakes hard or sliding. As a few have done...i pulled the 40 amp abs fuse from under the hood. The difference is night and day. Now i control the braking. I will put it back in when winter is over.
...Now i understand why people love these rav4's. Competent enough for off road riding in the warm season, and great little winter rides.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Yeah: my girlfriend LOVES her 2005 AWD with all-season tires. She is not afraid to go ANYWHERE and this last storm (probably the same one you got) covered Colorado and made driving interesting. Her little car is LOVING it! Nice post.........!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah: my girlfriend LOVES her 2005 AWD with all-season tires. She is not afraid to go ANYWHERE and this last storm (probably the same one you got) covered Colorado and made driving interesting. Her little car is LOVING it! Nice post.........!
...Thanks. Me and the girlfriend went out in the woods today on atv tracks. I brought a tow rope and shovels just in case. I followed her in her 2014 tacoma.She has good winter tires on as do i. She had to lock it in 4x4. My little $2500 01 rav went everywhere her $30,000 Tacoma went. Going to leave it the way it is for now. In the spring, going to add a 1.5" lift kit, custom skid plate and a light bar.

·
Registered
654 Posts
what tires do you have on? i have nokian hakka 5 with studs on my 2001
where abouts are you from in canada

1 - 5 of 5 Posts