Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that there have been members here that have had paint peeling off of their RAV4s. Mine is a 2006 and it has a peeling issue - but was there a layer of something that was applied over the nautical blue metallic paint? If you look at the photos I have here, there is peeling, but I can see the blue color underneath. It's peeling on the hood and the roof, and today I just noticed there is also a little peeling along the window on the right side rear passenger door. Many years ago, I had a 1984 SR5 short bed truck that also had a paint peeling issue on the roof and hood, but it was the actual paint color that started peeling, it exposed the original gray color of the metal. I did not have this issue with my 1995 Tacoma. But here it is again with my RAV4. Anyone else have peeling like this?

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
That appears to be the clear coat that is peeling off. I would take it to a good body shop and let them take a look at it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see....thanks for your answers. i imagine a respray must cost big bucks. i've seen plenty of other RAV4s around that are the same generation as mine, yet the paint is intact. i've yet to see one that has the clear coat coming off like on mine. i wonder what causes it to do that on some but not on others.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some of the major reasons for paint to peel is
1. car is not garaged, and is baking in the sun
2. poor, incompatible prior repair by a body shop
3. ignoring scratches and dings
4. rust

The car oem paint spraying today is much thinner than it was 15 or 20 years ago, but still should hold up, with the exception of the above items. I normally keep cars over 15 years, always garaged, never (very rarely) waxed, hand washed with water only, and never had a paint peeling issue. I noted that the Manual in my new 2017 Rav4 says to avoid Car Washes because they scratch the car---a reason for peeling.
Cost. Did have my hood painted on a few of my cars due to road dings from highway rocks. Big difference in costs. I found a place that does not advertise, word of mouth, paints out of his personal barn, and does allot of work for all the dealers in the area (even cars just unloaded from the new delivery hauler that need touch-up). His cost is probably half the price of the street companies that have store fronts. Ask you dealer where do they take their cars for this. That may be a private shop.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
clear coat failure for sure, how often was the car paint protected? UV inhibitors in newer paints are not what they used to be 20 years ago.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Yep.

Wife's '04 was failing when we traded it.
The sheetmetal was still good, but the upper half of the spare cover was gone, and the spoiler and mirror covers were starting to go.
And that was the factory paint?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You ever sweat getting IronX on plastic trim?
nope, it only reacts to iron particles, as long has you don't let it bake on in the sun, it will simply rinse off with water.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
And that was the factory paint?
Yep.
Not garaged, out in the bright sun of the California Inland Empire. Waxed fairly regularly for the first couple of years, but after 2010 it was just an occasional trip through the car wash. I always had to point out to her that the bird crap would ruin her paint, but the failed clear was only on the plastic parts... the sheetmetal just had discolorations and some "splotches" where it looked like the clear was beginning to fail, but it never blistered or peeled other than the ABS parts.
The mirror covers were JUST beginning to show signs of failure after 11 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's that color/year of these Rav's. My 2007 is doing the same thing on just on the hood & top of the cabin. I got pretty down on myself for not waxing it as often as I should. Then a couple months ago, I almost got into the wrong RAV4 at an HEB here in Texas. It had almost the exact same problem, same color, same peel pattern and everything. Pretty frustrating but that moment was pretty funny AND eye-opening.

Can the cheap car paint place MACO (sp?) match color? Asking for a friend

·
Registered
87 Posts
That depends on the particular shop. Some are awful, some are decent.
Yes some are decent, some are awful. And it is not necessarily the shop, but rather which guy works on your car, based on how busy they are, how much time they take. But more important, and I talk from experience, it is how much prep work they do. I have no doubt that prep work will not be based on doing an excellent job, but something that will look okay for 12 months. Color match, without doubt, a "decent" job at best, is far short of a good or excellent job. I have had excellent jobs that even a professional cannot see where it was re-painted. That will never be the case with a Maco job

·
Registered
25 Posts
Blizzard Pearl paint peeling continues...

And so the RAV4 Limited V6 we purchased started peeling 13 months after we bought it. I currently have an appointment with a regional Toyota rep to see the car at the Toyota dealer we bought it from. I am armed with multiple fellow Blizzard Pearl RAV4 owners peeling stories on 2009-2013 RAV4 models not being properly prepped that effected mostly the Tri-coat Blizzard Pearl paint color. The paint is peeling on the roof and passenger quarter panel, so far. Roof pic attached to show what I am talking about...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
13 Participants
Prisonbull
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing